Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Strong CVD's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Strong CVD's

What company makes the strongest cvd's out there minus the 300's since there not available anymore. I have broke 3 racing and axial ones, pins cups not a shaft yet tho so looking for some seasoned advice on a good set.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Strong CVD's

Honestly I'm curious as to how you've had issues with the axial cvd's, they hold up fine for me. And I beat the snot out of them. You could modify some xr10/wraith universals and make them fit.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

PM Gunnar on here he makes replacement Axial CVD pins which are beefier. I also shrink wrap the pins in place once installed just like I do on my go fast rigs. Btw this is running on a 11lb KOH full brazed rod buggy with a Holmes 10T puller on 4s and I have a super heavy trigger finger!

I actually shattered a drive pin to 3 pieces on one my aluminum hexes before any damage to the CVD pin.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have thought about it but i hate to get all new knuckles and chubs ect. The problem i have is i keep breaking cups and then today i snaped a pin in half so 3 sets down. In my build is the cup that i split and i havent got pics of the broke pin yet but i ordered a bunch of gunner pins. And as for how i keep doing it lets just call it my bad luck lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

They have retainer rings on them so shrink wrap isnt necessary. Good thing is i actually havent broke a shaft yet on a axial one just caps and pins.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Make sure you aren't exceeding the angle that the cvd is cabable of. I had broken a cup and figured out I was over extending it with epas. Now with bigger pins and not setting travel to far I haven't had any issues with mine for quite some time.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

10 lbs buggy with t8 mmp on 4s=i can blow out axial and mip cvd's, so i just run the stock dog bones have not had one problem.,and i do get the devil on the peddle
Attached Images

richardgarrett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I checked them against some others with them and I have my steering less than theres so I'm just baffled by why I keep breaking these things
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
RCC Addict

You can still find 300's.. Keep an eye on the classifieds.. They pop up from time to time. I just got a brand new set a couple of weeks ago from rcc classifieds.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgarrett56 View Post
10 lbs buggy with t8 mmp on 4s=i can blow out axial and mip cvd's, so i just run the stock dog bones have not had one problem.,and i do get the devil on the peddle
how well do the dog bones hold up compared to the 300s
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddawg View Post
how well do the dog bones hold up compared to the 300s
The dogbones aren't near as strong as 300's.

Are the Felsenfest CVD's still made?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I messed around with cvds for a while 3racing axial and what not made the switch to XR universals and couldnt be happier id say order some long beef toobs plastic xr knucks and Cs and go nuts. If you run berg offset wheels on the front its just a tick wider than normal. Cheap easy and super strong.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I think they are just not sure if they would fit my vp knuckles
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I used the Axial cvd's w/ gunnar pins without problems for about six months, then I got super 300's. If you shim the slop between the outer bearing and the hex pin and use the D Lux no slop steering bushings it seems to help decrease the multilingual stress.

The shims from a LCC worm gear work good between the outer bearing and hex pin.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Alright I'm not hijacking this thread by any means. 2006Shelby is asking to many great questions that have helped me out more than he will ever know. I need some clarification on terms here. Are CVD's the same as axle shafts or axle stubs. And what about driveshafts? What is the correct term in the rc world? Sorry someone shoot me a qiuck answer and then I can catch up.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well from a real world prospective a CVD is part of a axle shaft design and a driveshaft is a driveshaft so yes a cvd is a Axle and the part they go in would be a axle housing but ppl seem to call things differently in the rc world.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Shelby View Post
Well from a real world prospective a CVD is part of a axle shaft design and a driveshaft is a driveshaft so yes a cvd is a Axle and the part they go in would be a axle housing but ppl seem to call things differently in the rc world.
In many real world cars the axleshaft is interchangeably and correctly called the driveshaft.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Well sorry after 20 years of drag racing and rock crawling i have never not once heard anyone call a axle shaft a drive shaft. An axle shaft is a central shaft for a rotating wheel or gear. On wheeled vehicles, the axle shaft may be fixed to the wheels, rotating with them, or fixed to its surroundings, with the wheels rotating around the axle. In the former case, bearings or bushings are provided at the mounting points where the axle shaft is supported. In the latter case, a bearing or bushing sits inside the hole in the wheel to allow the wheel or gear to rotate around the axle shaft. Sometimes, especially on bicycles, the latter type is referred to as a spindle. Now a drive shaft in an automobile may use a longitudinal shaft to deliver power from an engine/transmission to the other end of the vehicle before it goes to the wheels. A pair of short drive shafts is commonly used to send power from a central differential, transmission, or transaxle to the wheels.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

One other thing On cars and trucks, several senses of the word "axle" co-occur in casual usage, referring to the shaft itself, its housing, or simply any transverse pair of wheels. The shaft itself rotates with the wheel, being either bolted or splined in fixed relation to it, and is called an "axle" or "axle shaft". However, it is equally true that the housing around it (typically a casting) is also called an "axle" (or "axle housing").
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I have always used driveshaft and axleshaft interchangeably (and read as such) when dealing with a transaxle. Driveshaft is a very general term, especially if you leave cars a trucks. An axle shaft is a kind of drive shaft!

Anyway, if I had to bet money on it I'd guess it has to do with marketing a CV joint in the axles or a lack of CV joints in driveshafts at the time the term was popularized.

Did the forum automatically highlight and link those words? Is a wiki coming in the future? This could be super exciting!

Or maybe it's because mechanics commonly refer to the axleshafts with CV joints as "CV shafts".
opek is offline   Reply With Quote

Strong CVD's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
servo doesn't seem as strong as it should mckenzies Electronics 9 06-03-2010 10:57 AM
motor not strong enough. slvrf150fx4 Newbie General 6 05-20-2007 03:27 PM
how strong partylikarockstar Newbie General 4 11-25-2006 02:35 PM