Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: steering????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default steering????

so I don't have much if any experience with steering set-up, i have ax10 custom, with hitec hsr-5995, VP dh with 335 hubs ?, alum> something chubs and knucks,
when i turn right now the tires are rubbing like crazy on the shocks, oh, i should mention i have AX cvd's,
so my question is this, for the rubbing i'm going to in board the shocks and links, but the big thing is the turning, the outside tire turns WAY tighter then the inside? is this good ? bad? or what? also when i turn and pin it, it lifts the inside tire about 2" off the ground and turns quite tight,

is that normal?
i have a dig unit coming, but right now it is doing a radious turn of about 3', less then half of stock i think

i'm running the goat with 18.5 turn brushless, 2s lipo,
MaD222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: steering????

Yes it's normal. You can inboard the links or add caster (searchably referred to as "clocking") to resolve the issue.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

that steering radious is also i should mention, on a rig with 9.75" outside front wheel width, with stock rear width, and an extended wheel base, 13.25" center to center of wheel, i hope to have this changed soon, going to shorten lower links , and lengthen uppers, and am going to 3.5" shocks,

trial and error for me, have done some searches, but every rig and setup is different in my opinion, so the only way a rig can perform well is to set it up to the way you drive!!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well you can solve your problem by narrowing the links and shocks on the front axle or you can add caster! If you look as many setups as you can some things appear on all of them!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
WAM
Rock Crawler

Check this thread for steering info.

RC Crawler Steering

Relative to how the wheels point, pay particular attention to discussion of ackerman.

I left my shocks outboarded and:
Used wheels with longer hubs.
Installed a lot of caster
Went with Big Bore shocks & narrow mini-T springs

all to gain steering clearance. But I have a Gatekeeper chassis. Your situation could be different.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

will do, what about the width, keep where it s or go to 535 hubs or whatever they are?
i was already thinkin taken a 1/2" off each side in the rear, narrower the rig easier the gates......

im gonna spend some more time searchin i guess

turn tighter with narrow narrow front end and wide rear end or narrow rear end and wider front end?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

sometimes narrow is good, sometimes it'll kill you! usually they don't sidehill as good. i'm running mine at close to 11 inches wide in front, about 10 3/4 in the rear. i have the dhII's on the front with 835 hubs, and slw's on the rear with 725 hubs.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

steering???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
Getting more steering from the Bully axles after Modding for more steering jcboof RC4WD Bully 15 01-31-2010 10:01 PM
Hot Racing Steering knuckles - more steering than the original plastic ones? Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-16-2008 11:26 AM