Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Your turning circle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Your turning circle?

Wondering if my steering needs upgrade. I can turn inside about a 60" circle. Is that average, poor, what?

To measure I start up against a wall and turn it 180 placing a 2x4 where it just gets brushed half way around. And measure between the 2x4 and the wall.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Your turning circle?

Thats about normal for stock. Mine is half that with alot of upgrades.
xr10 axle shafts
od/ud gears
custom steering
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

depends on what your gonna do with the crawler. for just fun, it's fine. if you plan on comps it still would be fine but you will probably take alot of backup points. i couldn't stand the stock steering angles and modified mine quite a bit to get a better radius. i went xr10 axles, od/ud gears, longer servo horn, and clocked the c-hubs. now i can turn about the same or better than a stock xr10!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

same here, with xr chubs,xr knuckles,xr universals,custom steering, od ud gears, easily half that of a stock ax setup. now you got me thinking? gonna get home an do some measuring.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I'd really appreciate it if some of you guys would actually do that test my way between a wall and something like a 2x4. Turning circle results will certainly be test-related and it would be great to have actual goal numbers rather than "'bout half that".

I do comp mine and it isn't stock -- but I used the AX10 upgrade parts with VP knuckles which apparently don't match up to the XR10 mod. I'm now down to just under 53" after a linkage mod. I can probably get a little more with more servo throw. But if you guys can really turn inside 30", I'd be amazed. But do the test -- I'll bet you're higher than you think.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What kind of surface did you do this test on? did you try different surfaces, with all locked up axles an trans. different types i was thinking might make a difference? gonna get out of here shortly an try this,Ill let you know.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Yeah, I'd really appreciate it if some of you guys would actually do that test my way between a wall and something like a 2x4. Turning circle results will certainly be test-related and it would be great to have actual goal numbers rather than "'bout half that".

I do comp mine and it isn't stock -- but I used the AX10 upgrade parts with VP knuckles which apparently don't match up to the XR10 mod. I'm now down to just under 53" after a linkage mod. I can probably get a little more with more servo throw. But if you guys can really turn inside 30", I'd be amazed. But do the test -- I'll bet you're higher than you think.

Mine was a measured 34" IIRC, on a tile floor, using a grout joint intersection as a reference. Surface does make a difference, more traction generally will give a higher number. I could get more out of mine if I wasn't into the links/shocks.

I measured inside tire to inside tire.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Mine was a measured 34" IIRC, on a tile floor, using a grout joint intersection as a reference. Surface does make a difference, more traction generally will give a higher number. I could get more out of mine if I wasn't into the links/shocks.

I measured inside tire to inside tire.
Ahh, there's a biggie...you measured inside to inside and I'm measuring outside to outside. That's most of the difference right there.

For surface, I was on bare concrete and moving slow. One issue, when the truck is against the wall and you turn the tire to max, it pushes a little away from the wall. But if we all do it the same way it shouldn't matter.

What I did is place the 2x4 about 5 ft from the wall, start the truck against the wall and see if I could clear the board. Then I adjusted the board until it just brushed. It may seem inefficient doing it that way, but when you start playing with it you'll see why it worked best that way. I didn't want to keep the steering on the stops while I took time to measure. If you release the steering before you measure, the scrub radius changes the parked position.

So like I said -- my rig with axial aluminum upgrade parts and AX10 cvd's will currently clear a 53" board distance. And it appears if I had more servo throw, or modded my steering arms, I could get it inside 49". I can't tell if the cvd's will go any tighter,

Last edited by Hardline; 04-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I can check mine in the next day or two. I will get both inside and outside measurements.

I know on course my rig steers much better then the other rigs in our club, some ax10's with cvd's, etc, some losi's
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I just clear 48" with axial cvd's, od/ud and axial high steer knuckles. If I stab the throttle off and on, like dig action on grippy concrete it clears 46", but just easy driving 48".
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw707 View Post
I just clear 48" with axial cvd's, od/ud and axial high steer knuckles.
Sounds right to me. What's your limiting factor for tighter? Can you manually turn the wheels more with power off?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Tires are fully hitting shocks, the cvd won't turn much more...maybe a degree?
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just checked it.

Outside to outside rear tires, 44", thats full 180° turn.
23" inside to inside rear tire.

Slow crawl, no blipping throttle

And I have more steering but no more servo throw...for now
Old 04-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Samples of one, looks like the XR based mod turns maybe 4" tighter than the AX stuff. Perhaps that's because the front track is wider, so can turn further before hitting shocks. In my book 4" is a lot considering all the gate penalties I've ever taken by a crappy 1/8". More data.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'm not running the wide setup. Std beef tubes with cut down shafts. 10.75" front track width.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Interesting. So why isn't your steering blocked by the shocks like Hacksaws? (Mine too until I went to wideners)
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You can see my sporty in my profile album. I currently run one hub size narrower then pictured.

My added castor is most likely what helps with the rubbing.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
You can see my sporty in my profile album. I currently run one hub size narrower then pictured.

My added castor is most likely what helps with the rubbing.
And lets not forget to mention adding castor reduces the turning radius!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Ok, did the test on concrete, started against the wall turned left went slow full lock to the left 180 strait out it measured 39" went set up a cinder block on dirt surface same deal but was able to just clear 36", if i started full bore turning left just a hair under 36", i did my daughters stock axial ax 10 and the best i could get was 58" , this was all pretty interesting results.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlernut View Post
Ok, did the test on concrete, started against the wall turned left went slow full lock to the left 180 strait out it measured 39" went set up a cinder block on dirt surface same deal but was able to just clear 36", if i started full bore turning left just a hair under 36", i did my daughters stock axial ax 10 and the best i could get was 58" , this was all pretty interesting results.

Is that outside to outside measurement?

Your turning circle? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tightest turning circle some_guy General Crawlers 8 04-04-2008 02:34 AM
WK Turning Circle with Locked Diffs birdie Newbie General 12 11-08-2007 04:14 PM
Circle Flies JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 2 06-06-2007 09:11 PM
So, I got this crop circle................. Robb Chit Chat 16 06-03-2006 05:24 PM