Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: double drag link steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: double drag link steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I'd be curious to see what would happen if the horn rotated with the knuckles instead of on a different plane.
I think then people would have better luck.....but that will be a tough task to accomplish...especially with any sort of caster on the axle.

It is a whole different ballgame on most other RCs as they use a cantilever setup which is, from what I remember, usually in the same plane as the dual drag links.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #22

i would think that a setup like this would put much more stress on the servo horn because it's pulling and pushing under different angles at the same time.
or is that stupid thinking?
djoefromreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Define "near true ackermann knuckles".
VP High steer knuckles or any knuckles that have similar geometry to the OE knuckles, which give near true ackerman when run in the backwards position or nasty reverse ackerman in the forward position.

Quote:
Quote:
I think the issue is the way the servo horn rotates (on a normal comp rig). It doesn't matter what knuckles are used, the servo horn moves each knuckle a different distance as it travels through it's arc.
Bingo.
That is the reason why it works to reduce the reverse ackerman.

Last edited by opek; 05-24-2012 at 06:40 PM.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
That is the reason why it works to reduce the reverse ackerman.
So, you are trying to get zero ackermann by running toe out (which only limits steering at full lock) and causing the wheels to turn at different arcs throughout the steering cycle? Why not just run zero ack knuckles and a tie rod/drag link setup? I dont buy the "better clearance" argument........how can a dual tie rod setup have better clearance than this:

??
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Who will come up with the first track and pinion steering for theses????????? GO!!!!!!!
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCOG View Post
Who will come up with the first track and pinion steering for theses????????? GO!!!!!!!
Shit.....dont get me started on rack and pinion steering. My 4runner is the first R&P vehicle I've owned and it is the sloppiest, most finicky steering I have ever driven! That reminds me....time to change that steering bushing.........again.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I can see it now, "FELSENFEST zero slop rack and pinion" Yea!!!!!!!! built right into a kick ass front servo/link plate. German precision made!

Last edited by RCOG; 05-25-2012 at 05:42 AM.
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So, you are trying to get zero ackermann by running toe out (which only limits steering at full lock) and causing the wheels to turn at different arcs throughout the steering cycle? Why not just run zero ack knuckles and a tie rod/drag link setup? I dont buy the "better clearance" argument........how can a dual tie rod setup have better clearance than this:

??

With some reverse ackerman and caster I can run my front shocks and links wide and not have serious rubbing issues. You need too much toe out with the stock knuckles to have the 'correct' amount of reverse ackerman to fit my setup, but you have just a tiny bit of toe out and the same amount of reverse ackerman at lock when using the dual drag link.

Hope that clears up what I mean by packaging and clearance! And if you click my link I posted earlier it redirects to a pic of a dual drag link setup I ran for a while which has marginally better clearance than what you'd posted as the servo is smashed off to one side a la the xr10.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
Hope that clears up what I mean by packaging and clearance! And if you click my link I posted earlier it redirects to a pic of a dual drag link setup I ran for a while which has marginally better clearance than what you'd posted as the servo is smashed off to one side a la the xr10.
Ha! Comparing apples to apples.....I could push the servo over to one side as well and gain that clearance. Mount your servo in the center and you're no better off.....actually, yours has less clearance because of the rod end leading to the driver's side.

I am still not convinced that a dual drag link setup with differing steering arcs is a better setup than a zero ack with tie rod/drag link setup.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
...I could push the servo over to one side
I hadn't thought about the servo location until just now. When I ran the dual setup, I was running saddle packs. When I went to LiPo, the servo was moved over, and the battery mounted next to it.

I wonder how a dual setup would work with the servo on one side. I would think it would be worse having one much shorter.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wonder how a dual setup would work with the servo on one side. I would think it would be worse having one much shorter.
I completely agree. I cant remember how my old setup was with dual drag links......although it was probably centered.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

If I had 0 ack knuckles I'd run them with some toe in, but the dual tie rod was a great way around that. Now that I have an XR10 I can easily set up the ackerman exactly how I want!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Shit.....dont get me started on rack and pinion steering. My 4runner is the first R&P vehicle I've owned and it is the sloppiest, most finicky steering I have ever driven! That reminds me....time to change that steering bushing.........again.
huh. that is interesting. what year 4runner and what bushing are you talking about?
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
huh. that is interesting. what year 4runner and what bushing are you talking about?
'98.....and the steering rack bushing.

double drag link steering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering link and drag link - what's the best bang for the buck? Matthewboerner Axial Wraith 29 10-25-2011 10:25 AM
Double drag link no tie rod? day215 General Crawlers 10 07-02-2011 09:11 PM
Longer Steering Drag Link vs. Shorter Drag Link? mann0mann Newbie General 7 05-08-2008 04:14 PM