Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: "Project Basketcase" my new sporty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default "Project Basketcase" my new sporty

So first let me start this thread by showing you the progression of this truck. I bought it off of the classifieds on here and later found out that it was a pile of used parts that someone traded to the guy I Bought it off of. No big deal. It was a bug, then "The Talon", and not "Project Basketcase".

Ae2 speed control
Integey 45turn motor
SCX Tranny
Extended rear drive shaft
Cheapo Servo
Axial aluminum lower links
all thread uppers
Axial Aluminum shocks
XR 10 Wheels with Vanquish hub mod
HB rovers, White up front, blue in the rear
Hand made chassis (Aluminum)and skid

Now on to the pics. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Last edited by avanord; 06-18-2012 at 06:38 PM.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: "Project Basketcase" my new sporty

Well this weekend I took the truck out to a hobby shop nearby for a run what you brung style comp. It was a good time to hang out and run against some other trucks. I ran it up against a guy with a losi comp crawler. (Man I wish I had dig) The truck did well, but I have noticed that it does not run quite right. The rear end of the truck does not line up straight.

I am not sure why it is like the rear axel is at an angle from the rest of the truck. I have measured both lower links (they are the same), Both upper links (same), diagonally on both the top and bottom. Diagonally across the skid, etc.....

I have no idea what the heck is wrong with this truck. Everything measures square in the rear, but it is still off.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for me?

This is the best pic I have I will try to post up some more tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Make sure your links are equal lengths, if the pairs aren't the same length they will twist the axle alignment.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Your rear upper link mount seem not centralised. Also the nut and bolt configuration between the 2 upper link seems different. Its hard to see in the pic, but if all the link is equal length, the only problem will be mount hole location.

Anyway, like you bodiless chassis, look like a bug...
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Your pic makes it hard to see, but maybe one of your uppers is spaced differently on the axle as far as side to side goes?

When you made the chassis, did you clamp both rails together and then drill all the mounting holes?

I just noticed your rear pinion angle. Got a good pic from the side? Looks like it tucks your driveshaft way above the links.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have measured the links and they are all equal lengths. The reason that the setup looks wierd on the rear axle is because the plate I made is off center. I had to locate the mounting points in different places because of this. Is it bad if the drive shaft is angled up a lot? I was pumped because it gave me more clearance in the rear with no binding.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

So I took the truck out a couple days ago and returned home from my trip rather quickly. I spun my hex for like the 5th time. It is Epoxy glued in becuase it is stripped, but good news I just picked up a brand new set of Xr10 rims in the mail. I also popped my shock for about the 10th time as well. I finally got around today to placing washers on the screws. This will not allow the the rubber to slip through the shock, thus keeping my shock mounts in tack. Problem 1 of several solved.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Today I think that I also finally figured out why the rear of my crawler is tracking to the side. It was as simple as using 2 different rod ends. (How stupid is that?) Problem solved (Hopefully) and some new picks. Everything seems to be in line. I guess I will have to see how it performs.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Got some new goodies the other day. They sounded awesome until I realized that new parts means more work. Been busy lately and havent had much time to do anything with the parts. Got some wheels (BTW XR10 wheels dont have the right offset for AX10 axels). VP Hubs which were origionally to make my own wheels out of my lod 2.2s. Now they will be used to make the XR wheels work. Got a dig. Also some over drive gears for the front of my other truck.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Went to put the wheels on and realised that there may be some fitment issues. So..... Off the the basement to make some modifications Thanks to this thread Drill press rim mod's with VP hubs

I began this process and realized that the drill press was a vital necessity for this process so it is on hold until I can go use one somewhere.

Pics of the mods to come in the future. Hopefully within the next week
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Ahh, new parts, new work to be done..... Looking forward to seeing how you get the wheels worked out! That is truely a custom rig!

If you find yourself with $70 lying around......Drill Press - 5 Speed I have one from Sears that looks identical to this but a different color, and it's always worked great, especially for small (hobby) work.

What brand of dig did you get?
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

My father has one I just need to be able to run up and use it. I got.a DNA dig, but I think the tranny I got for it has a gear issue.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Finally got some time to work on the crawlers and now have both my rigs up and running again. Fresh new to me parts on Project Basket Case include: DNA Dig, XR10 Wheels with Vanquish Hub Mod, Aluminum Hexes, and new wheel nuts(much needed).

Here are the pics, hopefully I will be able to post up some action shots after tomorrow. Sorry for the difficult to see Dig. I can Never remember to take pics while I am actually working on the truck. It is always an after thought.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Check out the new wheels!!! Man was the vanquish mod a huge pain with these wheels. Both sides are on angles so the drill bit wanted to slide out of place with or without a drill press. I ended up just hand drilling in order to get it done. They arent pretty from close up, but pass the 5 ft test.

I only used three screws up front and 2 in the rear because I was having such a hard time. Hopefully they hold up. I guess we will see.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Last, but not least here are some shots of the entire truck. I think the orange beadlocks really make it pop.

PS. The wied rear end tracking was fixed after I discovere that I was using 2 different rod ends. It drives awesome now.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm so glad you were able to figure out why the rear was off (the different rod ends). I was thinking about it the one day, but just didn't have any good ideas!

Sorry you had such a hard time w/ drilling the wheels. That does not sound fun. They do look sick though! Very sweet!

Have you got to try out the dig much yet? Does it work well, engange and disengage well? Lemmie know! DNA digs seem popular.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

looks great. nice job.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
I'm so glad you were able to figure out why the rear was off (the different rod ends). I was thinking about it the one day, but just didn't have any good ideas!

Sorry you had such a hard time w/ drilling the wheels. That does not sound fun. They do look sick though! Very sweet!

Have you got to try out the dig much yet? Does it work well, engange and disengage well? Lemmie know! DNA digs seem popular.

The Dig works ok. I need to get the linkage lined up better, and I also need to mess with the endpoint adjustments to make things work smoother. It think how well it works is all in the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
looks great. nice job.
Thanks man it is nice to here good things.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I finally got to take the rig out 2 days ago. It was driving like a champ and then.....

I drove off of a rock and fell straight into my front link. This snapped my stock knuckle ending my day before I even got through the first battery pack. What a bummer.

That was a bad day. Blew the servo on my dads wraith, broke Basket Case, and drowned my honcho. I have been spending today fixing all of the carnage from that day.

Here are some Broken pics of Basket Case:
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

That is a bummer of an outing. Sometimes RC stuff breaks more than I would like.

"Project Basketcase" my new sporty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++ Stormin2u Axial AX-10 Scorpion 100 02-11-2013 06:11 PM
My return to a "Sporty" (Poison Dart inside) cagedcbr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 11-10-2012 10:13 PM
Project "FRANKESTAIN" or "AXIAL FORCE" mykonian General Crawlers 5 03-06-2009 11:37 AM
Project "TimberWolf" 1.9" Scale Yota Hybrid 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 53 08-14-2008 06:43 PM