Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My shafty build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #41

Default Re: My shafty build

Are those homemade wheel weights? I made some from brass, it is heavier than both steel and stainless steel, and then it is easier to machine too and will not rust. Cant wait to see what this crawler will do.
klausdenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

video is done...
just have to upload..should be up by tonite..
6+hrs of building compressed into 4 mins..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausdenmark View Post
Are those homemade wheel weights? I made some from brass, it is heavier than both steel and stainless steel, and then it is easier to machine too and will not rust. Cant wait to see what this crawler will do.
Got the washers from WooPigSooie. I thought the rust added flavor. Really he was helping me out with some tires and wheels. I'll save up and a nice set of wheels down the road but, this will get me going for now.
mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatthews View Post
I'll have to measure it and let you know.
cool thanks. i like how you guys mounted the upper shocks. does that make the chassi a little more rigded having the cross posts all the way out?
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
cool thanks. i like how you guys mounted the upper shocks. does that make the chassi a little more rigded having the cross posts all the way out?
By feel it seems that way. I've not ran it on the rocks yet to find out, plus I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Mainly, what it does is allow you to keep the cross braces stationary, but move the shock mounts around. This is essential for somebody using a Gunner style body mount.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Glad it to see it put together Mike! Looks great.

On the rear upper links. It looks like they are a little long right now. The rear axle pinion angle is kicked up too much. The truck can do funky things with it like that. I know it's probably kicked up for clearance but making it flatter will help with the overall drivetrain system.

Might see if you can shorten the the rear uppers a little. Also, with the rod ends turned sideways, that might cause some binding when the truck tries to suck down. The rod end will be limited by the rod end ball. Looks like they are close to their down travel limit right now.
Shortening the rear uppers should help with this and the pinion angle.

But that's just me looking at the pictures.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post

On the rear upper links. It looks like they are a little long right now. The rear axle pinion angle is kicked up too much. The truck can do funky things with it like that. I know it's probably kicked up for clearance but making it flatter will help with the overall drivetrain system.

Might see if you can shorten the the rear uppers a little. Also, with the rod ends turned sideways, that might cause some binding when the truck tries to suck down. The rod end will be limited by the rod end ball. Looks like they are close to their down travel limit right now.

We thought the rear links were too long as well. We decided to just keep moving and get it rolling, then I could go back and adjust some things. "rod ends turned sideways" I'll take a look at this and see what I can adjust.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
By feel it seems that way. I've not ran it on the rocks yet to find out, plus I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet.
haha awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Mainly, what it does is allow you to keep the cross braces stationary, but move the shock mounts around. This is essential for somebody using a Gunner style body mount.
ah that makes sense.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We thought the rear links were too long as well. We decided to just keep moving and get it rolling, then I could go back and adjust some things. "rod ends turned sideways" I'll take a look at this and see what I can adjust.
When the rear uppers get shortened it will reduce the rod end/mounting angles on the rear 4 link mount.

Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 06-25-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Looking back at the pictures it seems the only way to be able to turn the upper ball ends front and rear would be with another mount of some type. Doesn't look like I can use that mount an turn the ball ends 90 degrees. I do understand what you are saying about reaching the rod end ball limits when sucked down. May just try shorting the upper links first and see what happens.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Looking back at the pictures it seems the only way to be able to turn the upper ball ends front and rear would be with another mount of some type. Doesn't look like I can use that mount an turn the ball ends 90 degrees. I do understand what you are saying about reaching the rod end ball limits when sucked down. May just try shorting the upper links first and see what happens.
Yes, shortening the uppers will reduce what I am pointing to in the above picture.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

What is your WB at? If it is slightly too short, then you might have those spacers at the rear axle link mount in the wrong spot. It might need to go: shock (inside of outer mount), spacer, link (inside of inner mount). That would slightly shorten your WB and rotate the pinion down some.

I looked, but I cant find any other builds with a closeup of the way the spacer sits....so I could be wrong.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
What is your WB at? If it is slightly too long, then you might have those spacers at the rear axle link mount in the wrong spot. It might need to go: shock, link, spacer. That would slightly shorten your WB and rotate the pinion down some.

I looked, but I cant find any other builds with a closeup of the way the spacer sits....so I could be wrong.
I'll get all the measurments posted up soon. It was late and Josh has an evil attack dog () so I was under pressure to get done.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

I edited my post....read it again. I was typing faster than my brain was thinking...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

I do know RTR weight was 4lb 7oz.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

we had to run the shocks on the outside because they were rubbing on the links..

michael,i think once you trim those uppers a few mm it should all be good
to go.

his wheelbase is at 12 1/4in when we were done building i checked..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
his wheelbase is at 12 1/4in when we were done building i checked..
Before you trim those links, I would try moving them to the inside of the mount and maybe just use a longer spacer to span the entire width between to the pieces of plastic that make up the amount. I bet that'd put your WB at a full 12.5" and flatten out that pinion angle nicely.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes, shortening the uppers will reduce what I am pointing to in the above picture.
You can't rotate them without using a different mounting plate. I guess I could always make some type of angle mounting brackets to turn them....
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It was the best place for mounting the shocks for clearance. As for the post spanning across the chassis, I think you would want them even if you didn't use the Gunner style body mounts. It definitely stiffens the chassis up. Before installing the outer post you could easily squeeze the ends of the chassis quite a bit. Not a knock on the chassis but it's a good distance out there to the outer ends and you really couldn't expect not to have some flex without the cross post installed.

My shafty build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Try to keep the shafty alive build. Frikenwoodro Team Losi Comp Crawler 39 08-07-2012 11:29 AM
MOA vs Shafty. which build for comps soutthpaw Newbie General 19 11-08-2011 12:43 PM
Vp Incision Shafty Build...3...2...1 Sneed Team Losi Comp Crawler 44 07-21-2011 07:02 PM
Vanquish Shafty Build Lookin4rock Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 02-09-2010 11:54 PM
Shafty or MOA Losi build? Mikeney Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 12-26-2009 08:12 PM