Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: updating ax10, need some help (axial dig, tires and wheels)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default updating ax10, need some help (axial dig, tires and wheels)

ive got a bodyless chassis crawler based on an ax10. its got proline wheels and tires that are in need of replacement, and im thinking about a dig to complement or replace my rear steer. i dont compete with this and ive got a dx6i and spare receiver, so im tossing around the idea of having both.

first thing is the dig. im liking the look of the axial dig, mainly because of price and availability. im having trouble finding much info on the dig kit, all i can find is the kit and that i need to change the transmission case. is it as simple as getting the wrath trans case and putting the guts from my ax10 transmission into it? ive got rrp input and idler gears in it already, also looking at upgrading the front output gear to steel (thinking axial 30544) and an rrp steel output gear. what output gear would i need for doing this, the wrath or ax10 one (rrp lists a gear for each). my other concern is driveshafts, currently im running traxxas rustler shafts with steel yokes, i notice the wrath outputs look a little different, is this still going to work. im considering mip driveshafts, but that depends on the budget. with the cost of a bag of rustler shafts, i like having a fuse in the driveline to keep from gernading something else.

onto tires, last time i payed attention to crawler stuff, hot bodies sedonas were the hot ticket. is that still the case? if not, whats recommended these days? and how about wheels? the hexes on my prolines have stripped, im not sure what to go with. vanquish was recommended to me, however its a little out of my budget. how are the axial beadlocks?

i built my truck 2 or so years ago, and been a while since ive been into the crawler scene. its a frogger 2 chassis, axial axles with cvds front and rear, aluminum knuckles and cs up front, stock on the rear. motor is an integy 35 turn, castle sidewinder, castle bec, hitec 985 servos, custom delrin links and skid. currently has rear steer and no dig, proline wheels and moab tires. thats a little background on what im doing.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: updating ax10, need some help (axial dig, tires and wheels)

nobody?

so i picked some stuff up today. i ordered in a set of sedonas, and the axial dig. grabbed the wraith trans case, and a couple other bits. wheels in the one thing im not sure of still. the guy at the hobby shop highly recommended the rc4wd "oem" steel wheels. they bolt together in the center with a ring on the inside for the beadlock. they look something more for a scaler, i wouldnt have bought them except for the recommendation. any thoughts on these?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

You might need a couple different bearings for the dig side of the trans when swapping over from the AX. As for wheels, it depends on what you want. Do you want cheap, scale, comp, narrow, variable, bead lock, glue on,.... Most comp guys are using either Vanquish or Mayhem wheels these days, neither of which are "cheap". The Axial wheels are plastic hub and will wear out like your Prolines are. The RC4WD ones will work, one guy in my club ran them for years, they can be a pain to mount tires from what I have read though. As for tires, Sedonas are still great, but alot of people will use custom combo cut tires combining pin tires on one half with Sedona or Rover on the other half.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

thanks, i figured out the couple bearings i need for the dig trans. im not comping with this, its just a toy. i ended up picking up a set of axial beadlocks. i did see a set of vanquish wheels, they are beautiful, but more than im willing to spend for my toy.