RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   no slop axial drivetrain? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/394787-no-slop-axial-drivetrain.html)

theloudone 07-25-2012 04:34 PM

no slop axial drivetrain?

i know i can get some no slop lockers for it. but even if i did there would still be a little bit of slop in the rest of the drivetrain. is there anything else i could really do to eliminate slop from the entire drivetrain?i googled it but couldnt seem to find anything

theloudone 07-26-2012 09:30 AM

Re: no slop axial drivetrain?

bump

SwampDawg 07-26-2012 09:33 AM

CVDs by VP?
MIP CVDs?
Difflocker 1-pc?

other then ...not sure if you could?

Devil Inc 07-26-2012 10:24 AM

The part in my truck that has the most slop is the Axial HD lockers in the axles. Speaking of which I need to get them outta there, it bugs me a little bit more each time I tear them apart. LOL

808DA6 07-26-2012 10:26 AM

No-slop lockers (I run highlands). NEW MIP drivelines. NEW CVD's. NEW bearings. NEW bevel gear sets. Proper r&p shimming. Metal trans case and axle cases(it amazing how much plastic cases flex). That should do it, BUT a few runs and things will wear. Invest and strengthen where it makes the most sense. Unless its a shelf queen, slop will rear its ugly head.

theloudone 07-26-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808DA6 (Post 3840200)
No-slop lockers (I run highlands). NEW MIP drivelines. NEW CVD's. NEW bearings. NEW bevel gear sets. Proper r&p shimming. Metal trans case and axle cases(it amazing how much plastic cases flex). That should do it, BUT a few runs and things will wear. Invest and strengthen where it makes the most sense. Unless its a shelf queen, slop will rear its ugly head.

mine isnt really a shelf queen. i use it. but not very often. ill probably just upgrade to all metal gears and some universals

theloudone 07-26-2012 01:56 PM

can anyone suggest a weak link? there always has to be a weak link or else things just get worse when you break. like what would be the best part to make a weak link?

SwampDawg 07-26-2012 02:00 PM

plastic or alloy diff cups
stock drive axles

greenjk 07-26-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theloudone (Post 3840523)
can anyone suggest a weak link? there always has to be a weak link or else things just get worse when you break. like what would be the best part to make a weak link?

Tailshafts are allways a good weak link as there easy to change"thumbsup"

TSK 07-26-2012 02:24 PM

Inherent;y, there is nothing you can do to reduce the slop. If there was no slop, you;d have binding, which is far worse.

The helical cut HD/OD/UD gears help a a little, as well as eliminating the dog bones & replacing them with straight axles or CVD or Universal style driveshafts for the fronts.

Best weak link is a slipper clutch. You'll nhardly ever break nayhthing with a slipper clutch, but then again, you can't throttle out.

Like posted earlier, driveshatffts are the easiest to replace. I like to use Traxxas Stampede driveshafts as they are cheap, and much strongfer than stock. Metal driveshafts are much stronger, but then they cause other things to break, like chubs cvd balls, & axle housings.

Also, mnetal gears in the trans doesn't equate to less slop. They just strip less often. Metal gears wear faster, and will result in more driveline slop. Plastic gears, if lubed, last a long time. Dry runing plastic gears results in the gears getting hot, which makes them soft, and then they strip. Metal gaers that are lubed, will wear less than dry metal gears, but ask anyone who has torn down a lubed metal gea trans, and the lube is always shiny and metallic.

theloudone 07-30-2012 01:54 PM

i just realized that most of the slop was coming from the outputs drives on the transmission. axial only puts one set screw on each of the drive shaft enst. i put another set screw in each end and it eliminated all of the slop except for the diffs