Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Andrew's FLASHY GC3A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Andrew's FLASHY GC3A

No problem guys. I have been away for a lil while. Some of the courses we were setting up I just wasnt able to make some of the sharp turns, the steering def helped, but still not quite enough to make a clean gate. I will be updating the thread in a few days with some new pics. I plan on trying to get out tomorrow and will snap some poser/action shots!
aclark09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark09 View Post
Quote:
No problem guys. I have been away for a lil while. Some of the courses we were setting up I just wasnt able to make some of the sharp turns, the steering def helped, but still not quite enough to make a clean gate. I will be updating the thread in a few days with some new pics. I plan on trying to get out tomorrow and will snap some poser/action shots!

Excellent, looking forward to it! The more I look at your rig the more I really like it.

I do have a question. I am strongly considering switching to a AX10 this sporty season for the steering alone (only reason). Love my Losi, but I can't get my Losi's steering throw anywhere close to that.

My question: to get that steering throw, you are running

Front
Wraith Knuckles
Wraith Chubs
XR10 Universals (?)
Long Beef tubes (?)
What else am I missing?

Rear (I know this has nothing to do with steering, but if you did the long beef tubes...)
What axles
What lockouts

Thanks, in advance.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Excellent, looking forward to it! The more I look at your rig the more I really like it.

I do have a question. I am strongly considering switching to a AX10 this sporty season for the steering alone (only reason). Love my Losi, but I can't get my Losi's steering throw anywhere close to that.

My question: to get that steering throw, you are running

Front
Wraith Knuckles
Wraith Chubs
XR10 Universals (?)
Long Beef tubes (?)
What else am I missing?

Rear (I know this has nothing to do with steering, but if you did the long beef tubes...)
What axles
What lockouts

Thanks, in advance.
You got it right on the front end. The Vanquish XR10 steering link works perfect as well with the wide delrin toobs. I have XR10 lockouts and XR10 axles in the rear.

My next plan of attack will be the new VP lockers, blue Monkey RC front knuckle weights, and the New premium delrin tubes. I have a new axle housing waiting on them! Im also looking to see what I can come up with for rear weight. I tried running it as a "lightweight" rig like most guys are going to and I didnt like it.. Before I made all of my changes this this was a tank and drove better than it does this light.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Front
Wraith Knuckles
Wraith Chubs
XR10 Universals (?)
Long Beef tubes (?)
What else am I missing?
OK, sorry again. I spent a day reading through various posts on what the "lastest" ideal front axle set-up is and I'm still confused with the crazy mix of parts people are using.

What do the Wraith Knuckles and Chubs gain you over the XR or the Various Vanquish AX-10 parts? Are you using stock plastic Wraith parts or upgraded aluminum ones? The purpose of the delrin "beef tubes" is to add regidity to the axle housings? Is the axle width changed when using these or are the housings shaved down to compensate. Then there is all this talk about setting custom caster by drilling your own fixing holes.
runs_wscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs_wscissors View Post
OK, sorry again. I spent a day reading through various posts on what the "lastest" ideal front axle set-up is and I'm still confused with the crazy mix of parts people are using.

What do the Wraith Knuckles and Chubs gain you over the XR or the Various Vanquish AX-10 parts? Are you using stock plastic Wraith parts or upgraded aluminum ones? The purpose of the delrin "beef tubes" is to add regidity to the axle housings? Is the axle width changed when using these or are the housings shaved down to compensate. Then there is all this talk about setting custom caster by drilling your own fixing holes.
There are some combinations of chubs and knuckles that allow for more steering throw than others. The wraith knuckles allow the most (why, I don't know), but in some of the builds they are getting the most steering throw out of them. Example....

Wow, that almost hurts to look at it. Granted these are AR60 axles (but that does not matter).

The beef tubes are for extending the width of the axle so you can run the stock XR10 CVDs. There are so many more options for CVDs for the XR10. One side benefit being that you can also run the options for the knuckles and chubs. Another side benefit is (you are correct) it adds rigidity.

Aclark is using the VP knuckles and chubs (aluminum). If I go the AX10 route, I am going to start off with the stock (plastic) Wraith Knuckles, chubs, and lockouts and see how it goes. For my 'try and see' $10 is more palatable than $100 for the VP versions.

That has been making my head spin also, but seeing this build and my question above, it makes sense now.....I think.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Wow, that almost hurts to look at it.
Yes, it is amazing ANY universal will operate at that angle. My real concern is having all of these pieces line up and actually function correctly. Vanquish has a nice universal set for the Wraith, but you'd have to have then in an XR length to work with this setup. Is there a track width limit in "sportsman"? I am assuming so since you could just run long tubes and adjust accordingly.

Is the desire to have parallel steering or just the most you can get at each wheel end? I have experience setting up steer arms for real cars and am very familar with various Ackerman designs (rear/front steer otrb placement). I think these sensitivites get lost when people move to BTA steering.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs_wscissors View Post
Yes, it is amazing ANY universal will operate at that angle. My real concern is having all of these pieces line up and actually function correctly. Vanquish has a nice universal set for the Wraith, but you'd have to have then in an XR length to work with this setup. Is there a track width limit in "sportsman"? I am assuming so since you could just run long tubes and adjust accordingly.

Is the desire to have parallel steering or just the most you can get at each wheel end? I have experience setting up steer arms for real cars and am very familar with various Ackerman designs (rear/front steer otrb placement). I think these sensitivites get lost when people move to BTA steering.
The track width max for the 2.2 is 12.5 (for both Pro and sportsman). The important one is the wheel base - 12.5. That is the one they tech heavily.

I have found that track width between 10.25 and 10.75 to be my sweet spot. Much narrower and it gets tippy, much wider and the 16" gates get tight.

Here is the latest rules.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...1pw/edit?pli=1

There are different schools of thought about the steering. I just gave an extreme case as an example. I have found the need for more steering than I currently have at my local comps. Some don't think that it is as important. I am just really shooting for more than I have. And I highly doubt I can get any more from my Losi. The over driven front and under driven rear gears do help quite a bit. I have always stuck with zero ackerman, but the advantages and disadvantages I need to read more. I am open for suggestions.

That is the one thing that I have found in RC to be the most frustrating. Is when you tune it in for one thing, you are tuning something else out. Example, In off-road, when you are tuning in more steering, you are tuning out rear traction. Or, in crawling, if you are tuning in climbing (stiffer rear springs and higher rear ride height), you are tuning out descending. Finding the great compromise is the trick, as you know.

Last edited by dentonmac; 09-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #28

Hey guys, I've enjoyed the exchange and didn't want to clutter up Andrew's thread so I started own one my one for the AX-10.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Got out today. ran with out a working servo for the dig. Last time we were out I guess I didnt have the servo endpoints right and burnt up a brand new HS225MG servo. I was going to run it as is for the comp next week but my friend wanted me to have dig and do some work on it. So we crawled today and the rig went home with my buddy to get a slight makeover. I wasnt ambitious as he, is so I told him to have at it! Thanks Troy!
Here are some shots from this afternoons crawling. The spot we have is pretty good. Tons of rock as you can see. And a variety of terrain.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Keep an eye out... A few things are about to change on Andrews rig.. got to get him ready for the comp next weekend.. he has done a great job building his rig an it works good.. a couple things tho.. a 35t with a 19t pinion is not torquey in anyway! Then again he is a sct racing kinda guy... It just doesn't work on th rocks.... Mini servo took a chit.. an a couple other little things to do to get him ready.. pics to come as I get some experience with his rig..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

That's crazy, we ended up double posting ur thread at the same time! I'll keep you updated thru pics on ur thread Andrew..
Old 09-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here are some shots from this afternoons crawling. The spot we have is pretty good. Tons of rock as you can see. And a variety of terrain.
Very Cool Andrew, that looks like a great spot.

I am keeping an eye out to what changes you have made.

I have an AX10 on the way to play with. Just so you know, I am blaming that on you. Keeping my subscription to this forum warmed up.

Thank you for keeping us posted.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

i saw that u have a hurtz dig.is it mounted in the front,or is the tranny mirored?
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Very Cool Andrew, that looks like a great spot.

I am keeping an eye out to what changes you have made.

I have an AX10 on the way to play with. Just so you know, I am blaming that on you. Keeping my subscription to this forum warmed up.

Thank you for keeping us posted.
LOL... Ur welcome... Haha, he blames it on me.. he was selling out, sct, crawling, the whole 9.. was giving it all up. I said, well, just come out an crawl one last time before ya box it up an sell it..... Haha, the ax was close to bone stock an he dropped the dime on it, never to be sold...

The tranny is in backwards, not so much as mirrored.. I can post pics of the two options if ya want.. my scx-10 is mirrored.. mirrored puts the motor forward.. so yes the dig is mounted to the front as well.. lol.
Not to mean to jump Andrews answers or anything..

Last edited by winnerone23; 09-15-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Sitting down Andrew?....

Ouch...... Lol.. all for good reason.. more to come..

Ok more came... Well, Andrew seemed to have burnt out his mini servo, so he figured he would run sporty in the pro class. Well, I did that the first comp an tied for 3rd, 4th, an 5th from last sucked! Went with dig for the second comp, running a shafty is still a disadvantage... So against his main thought of weight, I did what I had to to get him dig an this is how I started..

Make some lines an some guesstamations, haha... An start cutting..

Then do some grinding, drilling, An scuffin..

A couple fancy, weight saving, holes an vala... A full size servo mount... Made with a dremel, a drill, an A hand stone...
Put it all together an back in the rig an this is what it looks like... Not much room left an still forward bias..

Threw the tires back on an hit the rocks for a test run, 230 a.m..... Oh an setup the end points.. luckily, I have the same remote... So it wasn't so bad.. runs great! Dropped the 19t pinion for a 16t an its still has sct ability but can crawl with torque an dig with plenty of ability! Maybe a 14-15t pinion yet.. for tomm... tires, foams, an weight for the front end.. there is none as of now...

Last edited by winnerone23; 09-16-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

SCT ability.... ha. Make it all slow if you have to! I like my wheelspeed though. Looks good. I think Ive found myself a new mechanic!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I can only agree to being the new mechanic if I get free rane to do what is needed for setup.. I'mthinking of spinning the xr tubes an re setting up ur chubs to be clocked as well.. I'mgoin to try an have it all done so we can get you out crawling this week, like every day!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Do what you need just dont knick up that Vanquish aluminum! haha. I re-listed all of my 2wd buggy gear to help fund the rest of what I want on this thing. Then I will be DONE spending money on this and focus on getting my speedway bike ready for next season!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Ok, sounds good.. now get ready to do lots of crawling this week to get ready for this sat!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good Andrew! This should be a solid rig next weekend.. And Troy, not too shabby but you have a text with some wise advice
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote

Andrew's FLASHY GC3A - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another GC3A, Oh Yeah cagedcbr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 03-27-2011 10:39 PM
gatekeeper gc3a gatecreeper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 03-01-2011 09:01 PM