Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The new bling hotness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The new bling hotness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Not possible. I was cool back then, right?

Pink is not a problem. Its actually on the shelf. I just figured I would offend more people by sending them then not offering them at all.

I'm still not cool

Pink isn't offensive unless you're into brown. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

So I'm going to assume the no slop knuckle bushings come in a set of 4? That's about the only thing I need at the moment. The stock ones have more slop than a PDX dancing girls cooter on sunday morning.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

So as an experiment I pulled the springs off the shocks to see about a droop setup on this thing. I'll take it out tomorrow to see how it does. I'm thinking it'll need some spring added even if it just has half an inch of compression but we'll see.

I pulled the drivelines apart and cleaned and put locktite on all the grub screws. Now maybe I can go out without a 2.5mm allen driver in my pocked. I opened up the trans and found a bad bearing on the input shaft. Luckily it's a standard bearing used on losi trucks and I used to race them back in the day so I have a stockpile. I replaced the rear output bushing on the VP dig with a new one that came with the rig. I also swapped the robinson hardened aluminum gear in and generally cleaned everything up. Everything is smoother and quieter now.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Got a wild hare today so I tore the front axle apart and built my own beef tubes out of a nickel plated 1/8" pipe nipple. It was loose in the housing so I wrapped it in 2 layers of 3m electrical tape for a perfect snug fit. I also drilled them and the chubs for 4mm screws so now its all nice and strong.

I also slotted the housings so I can adjust caster if needed. I have it set as far as I could get it and still allow the diff to clear the BTA tie rod.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

2 days, 2 busted shafts. All I can say is thank you to Holmes Hobbies motors, white dot rovers and 3s lipo. Without all of you this wouldn't have been possible.

So whats the word on the street these days for bombproof shafts? 300HD's are what I'm leaning towards along with a new no slop spool. Is there anything else that will help this survive? I've got good bearings in the axle already and all alloy Inner C's & knuckles already.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Busted shaft?? the pin in CVD? If you can get hold of a set of 3racing CVD and use Gunnar pin, its is a pretty strong unit, pretty cheap too. Otherwise, Super 300 or Vp VVD will be your choice if you do not want to change the C-Hub and Knuckle. Otherwise Do the XR mod to the front.

Last edited by Colgout; 09-28-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

As much as I've read on doing the xr shaft swap I'm still not 100% sure on whats needed. I realize the obvious knuckles and inner C's but is there an off the shelf shaft that is the correct length for running them in ax/scx housings or would 2 long side shafts need to be shortened? I'm just flat fawking confused.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
As much as I've read on doing the xr shaft swap I'm still not 100% sure on whats needed. I realize the obvious knuckles and inner C's but is there an off the shelf shaft that is the correct length for running them in ax/scx housings or would 2 long side shafts need to be shortened? I'm just flat fawking confused.
XR universals Axial XR10 Front Universal Set (2pcs)
Chubs and knuckles, and adapters from Chris_the_battery_man
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post
XR universals Axial XR10 Front Universal Set (2pcs)
Chubs and knuckles, and adapters from Chris_the_battery_man

Gracias, I just looked and found this thread which I somehow managed to overlook. I must be getting blind in my old age. At least I still have my looks!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #29
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Once upon a time when you were in elementary school deeeee lux lived in Portland and I drove my yota down to tsf and he came over this way to goldendale to wheel. Does that make me like an R/C hipster? "I knew D lux before he was cool".
This thread lost ANY credibility with me. Erik's never been "cool"

Lookin purty damn good for a frankencrawler. That heatsink made me laugh. I still have a few that look just like that sliding around in my old race buggy box.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
This thread lost ANY credibility with me. Erik's never been "cool"

Lookin purty damn good for a frankencrawler. That heatsink made me laugh. I still have a few that look just like that sliding around in my old race buggy box.

J.D.

Wait, this thread was once credible?? dee lux's trailer had DOM tube fenders and my yota had a sch 40 bumper, he was cooler than me.

Thanks the rig is fun for sure. The only real morphidite part of it is the steering servo. Stripped the plastic gear in the airtronics so I pulled the electronics out and put them in my old hitec 5945 case that had a fried board. Voila fixed and functional. . It's in a droop setup now and slammed. I put the bug body back on last night and trimmed it to fit around the battery, servo and rear link plate. I think it looks pretty sweet...

And if no one has noticed yes we are rocking it in s 5th wheel while looking for a house. White trash indeed! I miss our old place I had an R/C room all to myself.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 09-29-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: i tarded
Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

So it's been awhile since I did any updating but I have been busy on the rigs.

So as of the last update I had busted 2 shafts. I upped that to 3 and picked up a set of axial cvd's. Busted a pin on the first battery pack. So I pulled the new stock shafts and stubs out of the other rig and kept on running but driving like a girl so it would stay together.

I just got my order from RPPhobby yesterday and took today to put it all together.

I had already picked up the XR universal shafts and a new axle housing but I ordered STRC wraith C hubs, VP knuckles, axial zerp ackerman steering arms, new flange pipes, axial underdrive gears to match the overdrive gears up front and a rebuild kit for the busted axial cvd's so I could have them for the spare parts rig.

I used the axial arms behind the axle and one of the VP arms for the drag link out front. Seems to work well and has way more steering than it ever could have had before so I'm stoked.

I also swapped the other set of white dot rovers and narrowed axial wheels. More offset and narrower so the tires don't rub on anything. So far so good.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

The spare parts rig is looking better now that I picked up a few parts. Scored a set of proline beadlocks with rc4wd boggers already comp cut and a ae2 speed control all for $50.

Now I need to get the blazer body done and I'll have another decent rig that doesn't look like a pile of crap.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Dear Diary, (Yes that's right I'm calling this thread my fawking diary since I'm apparently talking to myself anyway. At least it's not in public this time. )

Today I had time to test the rigs on the rocks. The new xr steering is the fawking BOMB! I can bind the rig up tighter than a band on a calf's balls and there is no oh so familiar snapping sound. For once the rig seems to be reliable, YAY ME!

The spare parts rig is doing well too. The boggers are obviously not the sticky compound so it just spins the tires unless a lug catches an edge. But lets face it, that's probably better since it's still running axial cv shafts and I haven't put the hardened metal gears in the trans yet. The tires look bitch'n anyway and once the tow rig project starts they will look awesome on it.

So all in all it was a good day. Thanks for listening diary, your friend trashy pants.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Dear Diary, take two.

While doing a post run screw check and once over I found something that concerned me greatly.

Guess I'll email VP and see if I can buy a single chassis plate and if they have improved the design or not.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Dear Diary;

I got a reply from Rob at Vanquish and it seems as though customer service is indeed alive and well! Rob is going to see what he can find to make my chassis whole once again so I'm a happy camper.

Your friend Trashy Pantalones
Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Dear Diary;

Just because I do silly stuff like this I "fixed" the chassis break till the new one gets here and I'll transfer the parts truck over to the VP chassis.

I struck a killer deal with my friend J-Lo for a TCS crawler chassis and some Hot Racing "air shocks" too. Not a bad deal for $60, the chassis is in sweet shape and the shocks are new.

Good night diary. Your friend, Blanco Basura
Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Dear Diary;

I got another email from Rob and he found a chassis plate and sent it out to be powdercoated and is sending it off once it comes back. THAT is some bad ass customer service that makes me happy to own so many parts from Vanquish Products.

Good night Diary, your friend Whitey.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #38

what wheels are these?
Hunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Dear Diary;

Holy crap someone has an actual question! Is this a sign of things to come or just a poor lost soul that just doesn't know any better? Let's go find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter15 View Post
what wheels are these?
I'm guessing you are asking about the wheels with the big fat rings? I have no idea who makes them, they were on the rig when I got it.

Sigh, maybe next time Diary... Your friend WT.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Loving the "diary" man. Rigs look great, far from white-trash

the tri-cities your listed in, thats not WA is it?
Im over on the west side, reason I ask.

And yes I am also a lost soul, all around here for ideas and inspiration

My truck would fufill the white trash part
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote

The new bling hotness - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HR Main gear case. Bling bling or a must have? matts175 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 01-20-2012 10:43 AM
*Bling Bling* Scale License Plate Frames Krawler Konceptz Scale Accessories 9 01-11-2011 11:30 AM
I De-Blung the Bling, Bling. The ONLY-WAY to run the 40s! PinchFlat Tires and Wheels 42 01-06-2005 04:39 PM