Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The new bling hotness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #161
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The new bling hotness

Burned through 5 batteries after work and nothing broke! So in celebration I swapped the axles for the od/ud geared and built axles from the tuber. Dropped the body and regeared the motor from 18/84 to 21/78. We'll see how this works out, it should be off the fawking hook. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #162
Pebble Pounder

Bout time you pulled the weight out and got some decent axles under it :P

gearing should be close to the same I'd say, were you having temp issues at all or just trying to go faster/slower
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #163
I wanna be Dave

No temp issues at all but it needed more gear. I swapped a set of moabs onto my narrowed rocksters and left the weight in the rear wheels to even out the weight bias too.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

I thought I'd broken the crap out of this silly thing today. The front started skipping like the locker was stripped, lost rear drive and the spur gear randomly stripped all within about a minute of driving on a hard packed course sand parking lot.

Turns out the skipping was just the grub screw backed out juuuust enough to pet the driveline slide back and skip and rear was just a lost pin in the mip. I think the spur was just a crappy hard one from an old rtr bolink car I used to have.

It's all fixed and ready to rock once again.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

My game just changed...

Fully and I mean FULLY loaded wraith axles and Scx10 trans. The full VP treatment including vvd's, titanium panhard and drag link, felsenfest spools and 5mm one piece rear axle, od/ud gears, fast eddy bearings etc. Trans has a foff motor plate, Robinson racing trans gears with lightened main gear and fast eddy bearings. Also picked up a pile of misc items with it like a Scx10 chassis and a whole bunch of axial hardware still in the package. need to figure out what tires are going on the mayhem wheels too.

Need to pick up a couple VP trusses and I can install them in... Hell I still haven't decided.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #166
Pebble Pounder

Holy hell batman! That stuff there is purty.
Went from needing a few bulletproof parts, to building a brand new, much stronger truck eh?
Now you'll need moar powa :eek:

Sent by my fingers tapping glass
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #167
I wanna be Dave

I scored the axles and whatnot in a trade for a landcruiser front axle and full hydro steering that was on my old wheeler. Considering all I had invested in the parts was gas and $50 for hoses I think I came out alright in the deal.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #168
Pebble Pounder

Not a bad deal at all, Im sure the other guy was pleased aswell. Nice Toy setups are far from cheap.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #169
I wanna be Dave

It wasn't anything special. Bone stock fj80 front axle with no 3rd member and a frankenstein hydro setup. He's happy and I'm fawking ecstatic.

Didn't make it 2 minutes into the first battery before the spur stripped. Guess there is a reason for the foff motor plate after all. Swapping the other trans in with the proper motor plate with the extra mounting screw now.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #170
Trying to have Fun Again

I see you met up with spenser. That should help you from breaking shit.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Yup I made a quick trip to Prosser to grab part of the stuff and he came over to swap last evening. I'm actually thinking these parts should go together as a TTC truck with a MMP/pro4 combo...
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #172
Trying to have Fun Again

LOL

I hope he still has my motor
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Well I didn't get a motor with the parts so chances are he still has it. Speaking of motor, one of these days I could use the services of your comm lathe.

I have a good start on assembly already. The new build shall be continued in 2.2 scale...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #174
I wanna be Dave

In digging for parts in my box of old crap I scored and found a set of alloy shocks meant for a clodbuster. I'll do the cap mod on them and they should be perfect for the eclipse.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #175
I wanna be Dave

I was right, the ancient clod shocks kick ass. Need to order up another set of mip shafts and pick up an uber torque servo to make it complete. Also need to do the VP hub mod to the narrowed focksters, they had sketchy hexes when I got them but they are stripped clean now.

I killed the fj40 body and this '70 f100 body came with my drivetrain purchase last week. Thinking of cutting it up and slipping some 2.8" sand paws on it...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #176
Pebble Pounder

Damn, that eclipse got low. Speed demon now?
Straight links in the front could help the skid slide over obstacles.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #177
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMudder View Post
Damn, that eclipse got low. Speed demon now?
Straight links in the front could help the skid slide over obstacles.

Yea I'll be doing up some straight links for the front since those would hang up on everything and they hit the driveline pretty solidly. Its not fast since it has a Holmes 55 turn in it now but once my sv2 gets back from castle I've got a nice outrunner to put on it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Spent a bit of time tinkering tonight.

I'll run this home built mount till I pick up the dinky part I'm copying for this axle since its too nice to have something I fabrimuhkaytid out of 1/8" aluminum plate. I'll be swapping my od gears into another ar60 housing and adding long beef tubes to the ax rear that has ud gears so their width is closish. Then this mount will go on that axle. It'll all work out in the end, at least it does in my head...

I don't need od/ud gears in the fofftarded but I DO need the strength of the xr conversion! So swapping all this crap around should be good.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 01-28-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #179
I wanna be Dave

So I have a servo mounted in there and it will function but I'm not happy with it. If I were to build another plate like this one I'd raise the servo about 3/8" higher so the servo arm can hang down and not be the lowest thing to hit besides the diff. It'd probably work fine with stock knuckles however since the tierod would protect it.

I think I sold myself on building a servo/link mount like the violator is using on his sporty but I'll modify that design a bit to suit my needs.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #180
I wanna be Dave

Looong time no update but now that the "slow" season which in reality means actually having to work for my paycheck so I'm out of time and energy at the end of the day to tinker with my rc's is over I'm back at it.

One thing I forgot to update months ago was the revised servo mount. I clearanced the housing about 1/8" so the servo sits low enough to use the hole in the housing to mount the servo. It works smooth with zero binding or interference. I need to pick up another ar60 housing and VP chassis mounted servo so I can start making this rig more of a scaler.

I screwed up an MIP the other day. Not the shafts fault at all I hadn't gone over things in 6 months or so and apparently I had a loose grub screw which allowed the pin to come out partially and my heavy trigger finger caused some carnage.

The xr converted ax axles on the tuber are getting revamped too. I managed to snap off an inner the other day so I'm going to go to pick up another ar60 housing and universals to convert the front over. I'll pick up some wide beef tubes for the rear or I've been thinking about making a centered ar60 rear housing. We'll see how things go.

The new bling hotness - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HR Main gear case. Bling bling or a must have? matts175 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 01-20-2012 10:43 AM
*Bling Bling* Scale License Plate Frames Krawler Konceptz Scale Accessories 9 01-11-2011 11:30 AM
I De-Blung the Bling, Bling. The ONLY-WAY to run the 40s! PinchFlat Tires and Wheels 42 01-06-2005 04:39 PM