Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Driveshafts made easy, right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Proverbial threadkiller

Question Driveshafts made easy, right?

Okay, eyes are even more wonky than normal from searching, time for opinions.

Short story long.....

Eddie was kind enough to put up warnings on his website about some of his motors being good for breaking parts. Thanks Bud. I, of course, ignored said warnings and sprung for a 35 turn Apocalypse with a skewed armature. Ran great, nice and smooth.
But I was doing some testing on my newly finished XR mod, and got a front tire up on a ledge (okay, treadmill) and in trying to pull the AX up, popped off the front driveshaft. Upon further inspection, I noticed the two parts wouldn't slide together very well. I figured it was rock-rash in the male slider buggering up the channels. Nope. The channels were fine about 1/2 way up, then rifled not so slightly from there on out.

So, not sure which of my chosen options I should go with.....

Replace the stock AX driveshafts
+cheap
+know they fit
-just going to twist again

Piece together WB8 driveshafts (Wraith,Ridgecrest)
+looks to me like it'd be 'strong enough' to not twist
-Not sure if there's a part # for the shafts as a complete unit
-could get pricey purchasing parts individually

Go with Junfac Steel shafts
+thinking steel shafts should push the weak point to somewhere else
-found two different sizes that claim to fit, don't know what size to get.
(shorts) (longs)
(right now, stock chassis, bent AL links, 12.5wb. Ringer chassis/links expected soon)

Anyone know if I need the short or long Junfacs?
Appreciate any recommendations anyone cares to provide, thanks.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Driveshafts made easy, right?

Just a heads up, I spun off a front WB8 on my Wriath this weekend when I got bound up a bit.....

I certainly would not call it 'strong enough' . I dropped in a spare piece I had and loosened the slipper till I upgrade them, which will be soon.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

MIP doused in red loctite. [/thread]
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

MIPS with blue loctite works for me, scaler an shafty.. also a couple 1.9's with them on with blue.. my .02..
Closed to open... Between 90-130mm.. ur operating range is goin to be around 110mm.. I think they have 98mm- ? Would b a good length.. last part off the top ad my head, the first numbers are off a scx-10 an a ax-10 with a caliper.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

MIP all the way,altough the junfac aren't bad too,advantage to the junfac they are cheaper,bnut hey,MIP are undestructable
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I run the Junfac shafts on my 2.2 shafty, enough strength to shear a hardened outdrive off the gearbox without breaking a sweat.
LAY80N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Go for traxxas ones. If you search around on here they give you a part number. You get like six or eight in a package for about 10 bucks. They have held up great for me. I break one occasionally ( once every 2 months or so) but with how cheap they are I figure that is bound to happen. I have been running them on my scx10 with weighted 2.2s for a while. They have held up to a hh45 turn expert on 6 s. You tell me why I need to shell out the big bucks for the steel ones.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I also ran traxxas metal yokes an long truck shafts.. till I switched.. 15-20$ per pack of metal yokes x2.. 10-12$ for the pro pack of shafts, which has six shafts.. replace every two months.. 50$ to get you thru the year... MIPS same price maybe a little more, last a life time.. cheaper yet to get the junfac ones.. too many popped or broke shafts for me to stay with traxxas.. they worked great.. when they worked.. MIPS...worry free crawling equals confidence!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I run the traxxas shafts aswell had a set in my ax10 for over a year and now both my svalers run them. I just take the male piece and cut the yoke off a slide it into a female piece and glue it in the about half way then slide another female on and trim as needed to fit wheelbase and I just use the axial yokes..
tmaxxdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I use the axial yolks and as the previous post mentioned I trim and add to fit for various applications. I know that the metal ones are stronger, but I have built 4 different rigs since christmas time all based off of the same set of axles and drive train. I guess for me I would rather sacrifice some strength for the adjustability of the plastic shafts.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote

Driveshafts made easy, right? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
maxx shafts made easy Randy_4life Tools, and Procedures 5 05-26-2011 12:30 PM
Limitor straps made easy... Stallion1967 Scale Accessories 13 07-07-2009 11:54 AM
Composite parts made easy Mike Poulson Tools, and Procedures 39 10-12-2007 01:06 PM
Servo Mounting made Easy!! MAXXMASHER Traxxas Crawlers 5 08-18-2007 03:35 PM
Easy method of mounting MAXX driveshafts mascman Tamiya TLT Crawlers 21 04-24-2007 02:13 PM