Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Haastnooit's AXR10 2.2s NCD SuDu1 / SuDu1 FL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #281
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Haastnooit's AXR10 2.2s NCD SuDuOne

I see a narrowed shock mount and more upper shock attachment points. At the cost of some additional pieces and probably a minor weight gain. What performance advantages are you going after? Did you perhaps stand the shocks up a little?

It looks like there's some extra clearance above the motor. Could the upper structure be lowered for a little CG improvement? Or are you out of room on the spur gear?
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #282
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Haastnooit's AXR10 2.2s NCD SuDuOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
I see a narrowed shock mount and more upper shock attachment points. At the cost of some additional pieces and probably a minor weight gain. What performance advantages are you going after? Did you perhaps stand the shocks up a little?

It looks like there's some extra clearance above the motor. Could the upper structure be lowered for a little CG improvement? Or are you out of room on the spur gear?
Looks can be deceiving sometimes, the rear shock mount is narrowed indeed but the total amount upper shockpositions is reduced by three. One hole is lost up front and two were skipped on the rearend. The new multiple piece rearend design adds more torsional stiffness to the chassis making the whole construction more rigid. It tighs the added chassis spacer above the motor in to the construction to do so.

Weight on the OG Sudu1 is about 54 grams with all steel hardware. Weight of the SuDu1 FL prototype is about 69 gram with all steel hardware, using thicker 2.0 mm CF and the extra chassis spacers. When using all aluminium hardware (not for the lowerlinks) the weight will drop to about 62 gram. Very competetive weight I would say …

As mentioned before shock and link positions are identical to the OG SuDu as to Tomi’s request. However the position of the front mounting point of the sidebraces is moved up about 4 mm in order to get rid off the machined delrin chassis spacer for slipper users. The sidebraces therefore are about 4mm taller then the OG SuDu at the front mounting point and equal in height at the rear mounting point of the sidebraces. The space above the motor has increased the same amount in front as well and is also equal in height at the back of the chassis. Lowering the small area of the chassis that’s is taller then the OG design will not bring a noticable CG improvement and would disturb the fluent chassis top line we wanted.
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #283
RCC Addict

Default Re: Haastnooit's AXR10 2.2s NCD SuDu1 / SuDu1 FL

Thank you Ronald for doing such a great job on the Sudu FL.

Both Douwe and I have been working on and off during the autumn on drawing a new fresh looking chassis around the original Sudu One geometry. We never got to a point where we were truly satisfied with what we had drawn up. Having seen some of Ronalds work on his custom parts I figured why not ask him to have a go at it. Luckily Ronald was interested and it did not take long before he presented 4-5 sligthly different options and we decided on this one. We did not want to do any dramtic changes to the geometry as the Sudu One chassis has proved to be a very good performer.

Weight has increased some. But we are still looking at one of the ligthest 2.2s chassis's on the market. I believe only the original Sudu One is lighter if compared to other popular chassis out there. Increase in stiffness is dramatic!

I have always been a fan of simple and straightforward designs. It took me a while to say yes to the triple sheer rear end of the FL. Going double sheer would save a few screws and spacers and thus weight but we would loose some of the added rigidity. So here it is - a new fresh looking, clean design Sudu One FL.

Last edited by Tomy; 10-26-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #284
Rock Stacker

Long time no see, bad times behind and ahead too, but getting back and seeing those updates is heart warming. Best compliments, the new chassis looks great!
musta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #285
Rock Stacker

FL?

Flipping lovely! I think I may have seen what santa's bringing me - my good lady has asked me to think what I want for chrimbo, I'm thinking I may have found it
banners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #286
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys Apreciate it.

Here are some more pics of the new SuDu1 FL chassis. Tomy is waiting for some new CF to arrive to NCD headquarters to be able to make the first serie for testing. Hope to have it here soon …

Old 11-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #287
Rock Crawler

Well due to some snags in CF delivery things got delayed for a few weeks. Tomy’s regular supplier changed the fabrication method on the CF they make. Resulting in a more brittle CF, less suited for use as chassis material. So we needed to look elsewhere to find a new CF supplier that could deliver the CF in the quality we like.

Looks like we found a good alternative for now, Tomy is still working to get the original supplier to make sheets the old way for our purpose of usage. I really hope he will get them convinced as the old CF quality, strength, cost ratio was absolute second to none. Though the new CF is a real close comparism .

From the sample materials Tomy was able to make 3 FL chassis’ which will ship to team members this weekend … Some fresh pics to hold you over to next week …

Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #288
Fifth dimension

These look beautiful Ronald. I'm lucky enough to have the V1 and the design fit and finish are impeccable. I'm sure this will be a smash hit!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #289
Rock Crawler

Thanks David The Xciter you did for me will look good on this one
Old 11-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #290
Rock Crawler

Attention all SuDu drivers .... check the Sudu vendor thread for interesting news
Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #291
RCC Addict

jusy read it that is great news being that i just purchased a sudu for my first shafty build..
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #292
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10tn View Post
jusy read it that is great news being that i just purchased a sudu for my first shafty build..
You will like it ... I am sure I personally really like the "straight forward" design on all NCD parts. Simple and effective are keywords
Old 11-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #293
Rock Crawler

I got a nice box of parts in on friday, other commitments kept me from getting on with it untill this afternoon. The box contained a nice stash of new parts ... the new SuDu1 FL chassis, delrin lower links, linkplates front & rear, glue-on wheels and my bigbore shocks.

Contents Nordic Crawler Design SuDu1 FL kit:

CF 2mm chassisplates:
- base chassis (2 pc)
- rearend plates (2 pc)
- side braces (2 pc)

Delrin skidplate, milled out

Delrin chassis spacers:
- 50 mm (2 pc), threaded
- 40 mm (4 pc), threaded
- 12 mm (2 pc)
- 7 mm (4 pc)
- 3 mm (4 pc)

Black oxide M3 hardware
- 25 mm (8 pc)
- 20 mm (2 pc)
- 12 mm (2 pc)
- 10 mm (4 pc)

When numbering the chassisspacers from the front to the back, assembly would be like:
1) 50 mm spacers + 10 mm screws
2) 50 + 7 mm spacers + 20 mm screws
3) 40 + 12 mm spacers + 25 mm screws
4) 40 + 7 + 3 mm spacers + 25 mm screws
5) 40 + 3 mm spacers + 12 mm screws
6) 40 mm spacers + 10 mm screws

I changed the hardware on the nr. 1 and 6 spacer to attach and space out the bigbore shocks. I only had the #2660 left in my spare parts and to get them to work lengthwise they needed the shockcap mod. The shockbodys got a nice shave as well, thanks Tomi for the nice work !

I managed to fully assemble the chassis, shocks, links and mate her up with the axles I already prepared. No tranny yet …. I hope to have the new NCD lightweight tranny here soon …

Some pics …

Last edited by Haastnooit; 11-25-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added the skidplate to the contents ;-)
Old 11-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #294
RCC Addict

Superclean as always, Ronald!
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #295
Stephan Hauser / # 7

...exact list and beautiful pictures...looking forward what's going on, Ronald
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #296
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys Apreciate the good words

I will be "freestyling" this build a bit more as usual, as time will be limited the upcoming weeks. Besides most parts I allready have here ... just some crucial driveline parts are missing (wink wink Tomi ).

I got back in the box and just finished the Queen V2.1 wheels and put a new set of shaved Sedona's on with old style DD foams in them. Pics to tell ...

Old 11-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #297
RCC Addict

Looking great. Sharp and clean as usual. :thumbup:
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #298
Fifth dimension

I agree! Ronald's threads are as good as they get. From the pics to the tech. I always look forward to the updates!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #299
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the kind comments

No major progress today … BUT … I settled on link and shock positions, I think this will be my starting point for the FL.

Front uppers: chassis, middle hole
Rear uppers: chassis, middle hole / linkmount, rear upper hole

Front lowers: axle, inside between the tabs
Rear lowers: axle, outside outside the tabs

Front shocks: chassis, front hole / axle, outside between the tabs
Rear shocks: chassis, top last hole / axle outboarded outside the tabs

The shocks are spaced out from the chassisplates by 6mm at the front and 10mm at the rear. Currently build with Losi 30wt up front and 50wt in the rear and Losi mini-T pink springs all around.

Now for some pics …

Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #300
Rock Crawler

Looking good Ronald!. Wish you could come to one of the comps en compete with us one day.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axr10 axle, sudu, suduone, xr10 mod

Haastnooit's AXR10 2.2s NCD SuDu1 / SuDu1 FL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Haastnooit's YTC Secret Agent 3.5 Haastnooit Axial XR10 85 04-24-2022 12:04 PM
Team NCD Su Du One Oz Bruiser Axial AX-10 Scorpion 132 12-21-2013 04:34 PM
NCD SuDu one crawler douwe Videos! 2 11-28-2012 02:36 PM
Mini AXR10 Axles?... justinart24 Tools, and Procedures 6 10-15-2012 09:28 AM
Haastnooit's Old Skool YTC BJ4 Haastnooit Axial XR10 15 09-02-2012 06:57 AM