Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: xr steering, but no throw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: xr steering, but no throw?

IMAG0889.jpg Photo by 0260b4u | Photobucket
0260b4u007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

IMAG0890.jpg Photo by 0260b4u | Photobucket
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

definitely not getting full throw from that servo, must be radio settings.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Hardline that is what I'm trying to figure out. I just lose it all when I put the draglink on. The horn is a gh racing horn. I want to say it is 1". I did order a longer steering horn today, but won't be in ffor a couple days. Why are the tires not steering at the same angle? Is it because I had toe out when I built the mockup steering link? The pictures were taken with a crap remote while mine is loaned out.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I threw a protractor onto your picture and you don't seem to be getting 45*. But someone said the savox doesn't rotate as far as a hitec so I don't know if that's normal or not. The savox website I found didn't list angles in the specs. Why don't you call savoxusa at 1-855-76SAVOX and find out what you should be getting from that servo?

BTW, it's very possible that the "crap" radio is giving you different results than the 4pl. Better get it back before you draw any conclusions.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Ur right. Just tried 2 hired servos, and same results. My brother is borrowing my 4pl since I sold my rig that was using dig and 4ws. He said he would buy me a good remote if I wasn't gonna use any of that anymore. What radios do yall suggest. I took everything off and want to try my hand at comping.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Thanks much for the help guys. I will get my remote back and try it again.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

you still need a good remote for epas and stuff, get your 4pl back.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0260b4u007 View Post
Hardline that is what I'm trying to figure out. I just lose it all when I put the draglink on. The horn is a gh racing horn. I want to say it is 1". I did order a longer steering horn today, but won't be in ffor a couple days. Why are the tires not steering at the same angle? Is it because I had toe out when I built the mockup steering link? The pictures were taken with a crap remote while mine is loaned out.

Thanks for any help guys.
If you knuckle is zero ankermen (which XR knuckle with Crawling Calvin's arm should be) and you have zero toe-in, your both wheel should turn the same rate. The photo does look like you have some toe-in or out, so adjust the tie-rod slightly and you will get them to steer equally. You said you have the wraith steering arm, try them, they are very short and should give you more steering.

Get your 4pl back, its very good radio for crawling application.

Also, from your photobucket page, on the right side, there is a thing call IMG code. Copy the whole code and paste it on the reply, the pic will come up on the thread nicely like below.

From the above photo, if at center, your horn is vertically pointing down, your servo does not have enough throw. It should be a radio thing, I don't think savox is throwing significantly less than other brand.

Last edited by Colgout; 02-25-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
I've got a STUBBY!

Alot of caster will also make the wheels look to be turning differently.

If you move the steering links to the inner hole on the CW arms how is the steering?
Sounds like a radio issue, good luck and i hope you get it sorted

Josh
Joshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

On a related matter, once you get your steering travel stuff squared away, you might want to do some work on that tie-rod. It's going to be too friendly with the rocks. See if you can bend one up so that it passes behind the horn just under the servo plate. All-thread is good enough for starters, but make it at least 4mm or 8-32, and you might want to cover the "teeth" with heat shrink tubing both for looks and to keep it from catching on rock contact. Running it behind the axle is even better if you have the proper set-up for it. I've always got something in the way.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I am working on the steerng links. Just mocked up, but had to take it crawling to see how i liked the new set up.

thanks guys for all your help! getting my radio back by thursday!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

So I did a little more research on the subject because I find it interesting. I found my Hitec 7950 is not limited to plus/minus 45*. Actually it will rotate 52 to 54 degrees, varying between units. Radios control the angle by setting a certain pulse width, and most radios are built such that 100% epa setting corresponds to plus/minus 45*. Then when you run the epas higher than 100 (120% is max on mine) you drive the arm past the 45* point into that low 50's range. It's impossible to overdrive the servo with epa settings. The 52 to 54* max rotation is a soft stop, not a hard stop, dictated by the radio design.

And all digital Hitec servos can be reprogrammed to swing 180 degrees. There may be hard stops at the 180 degree point. It's a pin riding in a slot and when you hit the end of the slot, you're done. On my 7950 the reprogramming is done by cutting the resolution by half which coarsens the control. But they say that's more a robotics thing -- steering doesn't care.

Don't know how Savox might differ. But I thought I'd throw this out there in case others find it interesting too.

xr steering, but no throw? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with steering throw! 99xjlove Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 15 09-28-2012 11:02 PM
Steering throw????? WKcrawler17 HPI Wheely King 13 06-30-2009 01:24 AM
more steering throw TSK Electronics 5 01-16-2009 08:11 PM
Not getting enough steering throw.. Hordsak Electronics 4 03-08-2008 08:33 PM
Steering throw hitman46mod HPI Wheely King 6 11-22-2007 01:21 PM