Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Foams...Star cut or Not to cut?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Default Foams...Star cut or Not to cut?!

So...that is the question!

I have an AX10 in stock form with a few mods like CKRC Stage 2 suspension mod and axle width adapters and wanted to see what everyone thinks of doing this tot he foams inside the stock tires which i beleive are memory foam but PLEASE correct me if im wrong...

Im not doing comps or anyting but would like to maximize its abilities and its possibilities so wanted to see what the up to date thing is on the foams, no foams and just air, star cut foam, memory foam and so on as u all kno but my only local source is a close buddy and he does his own thing so this 1 opinion is helpful but like to see if anyone else has some new idea or what!
Thanks for the help guys...
TCCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Foams...Star cut or Not to cut?!

Star Cut????? We are in 2013 not 2005 I thought....

All the foam you need.....

While this is not a must to run these foam, most of us in 2013 do....

Last edited by Colgout; 05-09-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I would toss the stock tires. Rovers work pretty well with stock foams. Also even the Losi pins work OK with stock foams. I would not star cut them. And as all ready posted, Crawler Innovations makes several great foams, just be prepared to read about the tires you want to use, and see what other people are running with similar set ups unless you want to buy several sets of foams and try them all out. Maybe even shoot them an email to see what they would suggest.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #4

see, exactly my point...i did some looking but didn't see alot of info of what people were using and my buddy says to star cut so i wanted to see what other options are it there. ill check it the link and see what they have....I'm use to having multiple sets of tires
Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #5

and the Rovers...are those the HB rover tires?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Fifth dimension

Ya man. Hot bodys rovers. Crawler innovations foams.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

i use CI DD closed cell foam inner , med rear and soft front outer. i think its pretty common.

also HB rover, sedona and Losi boss claw are the most common tyres here. also check out the new kid on the block ottsix voodoo. these are the hottest tire on the market. whatever your choice is make sure you shaved them (except voodoo that come shaven), it really wake up the tyre.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've just shaved my Sedonas, and I'm still using the foams that came with them, uncut.
I may have to talk to Stew and Cam about my options.
HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
Star Cut????? We are in 2013 not 2005 I thought....

All the foam you need.....

While this is not a must to run these foam, most of us in 2013 do....
And I just bought on Ebay my foam cutter.... Oh well the foams that came with my proline chisels are pretty stiff.
Crawlerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerfiend View Post
And I just bought on Ebay my foam cutter.... Oh well the foams that came with my proline chisels are pretty stiff.
I bought a second hand electric carving knife from a thrift shop to do mine.
I think it cost me about $4, And I only used it the once.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #11

awesome guys...after looking at the site i figured out what Colgout mean by the inner and outer so for the med rears you must mean the last foams at the bottom called Single Stage Double Deuce foams for like 7 bucks a pair...Or would it be worth sticking with the stock memory foams?

The only thing i noticed is that the tires nor rims have holes for breathing and i would think that would help more for the tire to conform to the surface its on better so im use to just doing the tires on my SC truck so it flings it out of the tire but what is better to do with these tires...I do like the Rovers, looks like its time to upgrade already, lol!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCustoms View Post
awesome guys...after looking at the site i figured out what Colgout mean by the inner and outer so for the med rears you must mean the last foams at the bottom called Single Stage Double Deuce foams for like 7 bucks a pair...Or would it be worth sticking with the stock memory foams?

The only thing i noticed is that the tires nor rims have holes for breathing and i would think that would help more for the tire to conform to the surface its on better so im use to just doing the tires on my SC truck so it flings it out of the tire but what is better to do with these tires...I do like the Rovers, looks like its time to upgrade already, lol!
That's a hole other forum on breathing holes....but YEA, you want it to breathe and release air

I personally like the hole in the tire as opposed to drilling out my rims...but like I mentioned, that's a whole other topic of discussion...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
That's a hole other forum on breathing holes....but YEA, you want it to breathe and release air

I personally like the hole in the tire as opposed to drilling out my rims...but like I mentioned, that's a whole other topic of discussion...
hey, it involves my AX10 and i started the thread and its staying on topic so im down to talk about it...But yea, i agree the hole in the tire is better and i bought a leather punch just for doing so but at $5 for the leather punch i couldnt go wrong even if it only did a few sets(ive did pry 10 complete sets so far tho)
Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I've used one of these for years, since I raced nitro buggies.
I like to think that a couple of hole in the tire will let any sand that get in back out again.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #15

haha, identical to mine...$5 at a local TSC store
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Ha
so we've moved on to holes...and how to poke em.....
foams were booring ????

I can follow along
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Ha
so we've moved on to holes...and how to poke em.....
foams were booring ????

I can follow along
HAHA, it still involves foam as the foams might now work up to par since the tire isnt releasing pressure so the foam wont work and its all part of the tire so its all good...

So i looked at the Ottsix Voodoo tires and they were definitely not what i thought i would see but seeing some reviews and watching in action makes me excited to try even in the soft compound but $30 or $40 for 2 tires....whew!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #18

So we got a stage 2 suspension upgrade kit that came with softer springs, wheels weights, and the longer upper tri-links and ive been working on that off and on when time allows and never thought about the lower links being on the outside of the chassis and moved them inside the chassis like this kit said so they dont catch on rocks so cant wait to get this done and everything mounted up.

As soon as i got it out of the box i starting tearing it apart and wondering if i just want to sell the stock tires, rims, foams and start from scratch on the wheels and tires

Last edited by TCCustoms; 05-12-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
www.ottsix.com

In what way are they not what you thought...I'm always on the hunt for customer feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCustoms View Post
HAHA, it still involves foam as the foams might now work up to par since the tire isnt releasing pressure so the foam wont work and its all part of the tire so its all good...

So i looked at the Ottsix Voodoo tires and they were definitely not what i thought i would see but seeing some reviews and watching in action makes me excited to try even in the soft compound but $30 or $40 for 2 tires....whew!
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #20

compared to other rock crawling tires the font have the big bulky lugs and the sidewalls are bare so it kinda reminded me of a drag tire from the side but I'm sure you get what u pay for in this case but it will be awile before i buy as 40 for 2 tires and pry shipping on that is alittle rich for me at the moment

Foams...Star cut or Not to cut?! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help....stock tires cut foams or no foams? Jcplante Redcat Crawlers 8 08-22-2011 07:32 AM
cut stock foams, or buy foams? marvinbeaverdip Tires and Wheels 4 01-20-2011 12:55 PM
cut or no cut foams sully50 Tires and Wheels 1 04-10-2010 05:04 PM
Star Cut Foams Rockrookey Newbie General 14 12-28-2007 04:29 PM
Foams, and how to cut them. reedpowell33 Tires and Wheels 4 12-09-2004 10:52 AM