Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ** Paystin's "El Nino 3" sporty build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: ** Paystin's "El Nino 3" sporty build

Thanks for all of the replys guys. I'll look into them all and pick one up.

It was good to meet you too Jeremy. Sorry our local Wal*Marts don't sell jackets but who needs one of those when it's snowing anyways?
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Haha! I did have some troubles with that store...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

hows it going, anything new with the rig??
thanks-steven
steven a rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #44
D-Wray 4 Prez!

I was present for his awesomeness crawling it at the club.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
I was present for his awesomeness crawling it at the club.
You we're witness to the magic that is me while driving these things......lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven a rockcrawler View Post
hows it going, anything new with the rig??
thanks-steven
I ran it for the first time since the West Coast shootout at the past weekends comp. Took third place behind Nabil "champion of everything" and Dwray "the best driver most of you havent heard of". We ran the first 5 gates (plus bonus gates 6-15) for the 2.2 pro courses and it did really well for three of the five courses. The other two were not sporty "friendly" so I struggled with those. It was comical that my rear driveshaft came loose on one of the courses and it actually helped me pull a 10pt pro bonus gate. It let the rear wheels "freewheel" which in turn overdrove the front a ton. That helped me pull the front up and drive right through. Probably the highlight of the day watching it do that one.

I did change the setup a bit and it wasn't necessarly for the better. I took about 2/3 of the weight out of the front and moved the links a bit along with the front shocks. I was getting a lot of front lift (torque twist) that I didn't have before. I am going back to the old shock/ link setup and try that with less weight up front to see how that goes. I'll get some pics up tomorrow of how it sits now.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #46
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Can you take those pics of it in yer living room...say around 7am this morning please. A shot of the couch would be AWESOME
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

sounds good
pictures would be great when you get the time thanks-steven
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Sorry for the delay on pics, been a less than stellar week on the home front. Here's a few of the current setup and some from the comp this past weekend.

After the West Coast Shootout I took apart the front axle and remounted the Creation Fab axle tubes. My caster was way off and I wanted another screw or two per side to make me feel batter about holding together. It's much more solid and I'm not getting the "oversteering" of the knuckles I was before. The steering tie tod now acts as a stopper from allowing the knuckles to go to far in one directions

I changed out the VP DHII wheels with four slugs in them for the old Nordic Crawlers knuckle weight system. Tomy originally made me two sets so I put one on my XR10 and now one on the sporty. I use VP rings that I already had and I just had to drill a couple of new holes to line them up with the weight holders. One full large, one full small and half of a large weight on the insdie of the knuckle. I wasn't as happy with how it stayed down at the comp on Saturday but I had also changed the front shock position (back one) and the links (raised the rear one hole). I am going back to the original setup (pictured above) and try the weight that's in there now.

I'm still not sold on Boss Claws but I think the rears need a softer foam in them to get me more comfortable with them. I'll got through the extras I have and see what works.

Last thing is I added the Robinson Racing output shaft/ gear to the tranny. I should have listened to smarter people and gone with the Crawler Innovations ones instead. The Robinson Racing one is really heavy and the set screws for the drive shafts do not like to stay engaged on the output. I'll either have to drill holes in them to fit an Axial through pin or get the CI ones instead.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Go CI big boy, hell I'd invest in the complete 32p set up comes with out drives, maxx shafts, 32p spur etc. it'll turn that drive train into a tank. Rig looks pretty.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #50
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Are the set screws backing out?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
Go CI big boy, hell I'd invest in the complete 32p set up comes with out drives, maxx shafts, 32p spur etc. it'll turn that drive train into a tank. Rig looks pretty.
I'm looking into it before the AZ summer shootout. Got a few other "things" going on before I can get to the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
Are the set screws backing out?
The shafts are so hard that the set screw just doesn't bite hard enough into them. I might try to drill them out first but the CI's will get the call if that doesn't work.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #52
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
The shafts are so hard that the set screw just doesn't bite hard enough into them. I might try to drill them out first but the CI's will get the call if that doesn't work.
I would give drilling a try first. It's a cheap fix if it works. I've never had the bite problem with the Robinsons before. But I don't drive like you Big Sexy.
If you can't get hold of those Axial through pin, you can use a hpi Savage set screw pin for the drive shafts. It's what I used on Lisa's wraith.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Thanks Bryce! I'm going to try the drill thru this weekend and see how it goes. I'm hoping my super secret connection over at Axial still has some lying around.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #54
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
Thanks Bryce! I'm going to try the drill thru this weekend and see how it goes. I'm hoping my super secret connection over at Axial still has some lying around.
See if he's got my U/OD gears he promised me months ago too wouldja?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
See if he's got my U/OD gears he promised me months ago too wouldja?
I'd text you the answer but I would rather tell you to piss off on a public forum. He can only get parts for cool guys (and me).
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #56
TSK
Shelf queen

Instead of set screws (which tend to have the bullet point tip) I like to use button head screws since they tip has a more square cut and you can typically crank down on them much harder with the bigger hex driver. Apparently some shrink wrap will help prevent them from backing out as well.

I always get sketched out having to drill holes in small parts like that. I always fear it gonna go off center and just screw the part up. So I'd do my method until the CI goods arrive.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Instead of set screws (which tend to have the bullet point tip)...

I usually grind them down if they have the points. Nothing a dremel can't fix. But I do agree on the tiny hex holes, I hate those. I always feel like I'm going to round out the hole or my driver.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Hey great build as i mentioned before
getting ready to build mine but can you tell me about your shocks bodys, oil , ect.
thanks so much any updates??-steven
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Get this rig dialed yet? What's the hold up
d-wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #60
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven a rockcrawler View Post
Hey great build as i mentioned before
getting ready to build mine but can you tell me about your shocks bodys, oil , ect.
thanks so much any updates??-steven
Chris is pretty busy right now...traveling outta town for work, movin, kickin hoes to da curb & what not so he might not be able to get back at ya.

I can tell ya that his shocks are plastic bodied SCX10 shocks with either silver MRC springs all around or MRCs out back with silver Mini-T's up front...unless thats changed. Oil's probably around the 30-35w range.

I recommend using the Axial bent link ends on the front shocks to help clearance the servo arm & 4-link plates but its not COMPLETELY necessary.

Hope that helps. Im sure Chris will chime in when hes got the time but didn't want ya waiting in case he cant log on anytime soon.

J.D.

** Paystin's "El Nino 3" sporty build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swezy207's sporty build "Buster" swezy207 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 07-29-2013 01:08 AM
Paystin's Chaotic "Switch" paystin Axial XR10 154 11-14-2012 05:54 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "One-off Nino" XR10 nonstopboost Axial XR10 17 09-09-2010 08:03 AM
"Chaotic Crawlers" 2009 Comp Nino Chaotic Crawlers Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 01-11-2009 10:11 PM