Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: HSP Pangolin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Default HSP Pangolin

Greetings, I'm a newbie here. I have a Stampede VXL 4X4, and a 2WD Stampede. I've been thinking about buying a crawler. I kind of like the Ridgecrest and think it might meet my needs, but I've been looking at a Pangolin by HSP that looks to be identical to an AX-10 Scorpion and it costs only $150. I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with that and any comments would be appreciated. My crawler knowledge is limited. I do know I want something that will do more than just crawl at a snail's pace. Seems like the Ridgecrest does that.
ROB311952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: HSP Pangolin

Best to stay away from any knockoff, as more often than not, you get what you pay for as far as parts quality and aftermarket support.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Best to stay away from any knockoff, as more often than not, you get what you pay for as far as parts quality and aftermarket support.
True most of the time. However in this case, you can bolt in Scorpion parts to upgrade if you break them. I've got a bunch of Traxxas parts I could also use with some mods if needed. I got burned on a Radio Shack a long time ago. No parts or support, and nothing else would fit.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You would be way better off going with axial. Any axial. If you want something with more speed get a wraith. Then if you want more versatility buy a 2 speed transmission for it. HSP is pretty much a knock off of other crawlers with inferior parts. You would have a better rig even if you bought a redcat.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

Thanks for your input Slim.
So in that case, if I didn't want to shell out more than a couple of hundred for a crawler (I need to find out how much I like crawling before doing that), is the RedCat the better choice then, and if so, why? Also can you get parts easily for it?
The thing I like about the Pangolin is, if a part went I could just replace it with a better Axial part, and this model I was looking at was simple with only two wheel steering and one motor unlike the RedCat which has 2 motors/two batteries, and 4 wheel steering.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I know a few guys that run red cat and they are tough. But id only buy one if i happen across a good deal used. Honestly though I would go with axial. The ridgecrest is a good start point for a crawler. But add too much speed to any regular crawler and they become really squirrely. Speed is defiantly not the name of the game in crawlers. I prefer to have at least one dedicated crawler with the top speed of around a really fast walk. The wraith on the other hand can handle more speed but not stadium truck or sct speeds from the best of my knowledge.
If you find you do not want to spend on new prices on a axial look for a good used ax10 scorpion on craigslist. Thats where I found mine. Granted it may take a while though.
Honestly once the crawler bug bites you its got you. I wasnt even close to interested until a buddy handed me the remote to his venom creeper. Now my go fast stuff has been collecting dust.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
The thing I like about the Pangolin is, if a part went I could just replace it with a better Axial part
Eventually you would end up with an Axial that cost you $150 more than it would have if you had just bought one to begin with.

If you really have no serious interest in crawling, get the knock-off.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Go for it. You can almost always get most of your money back with an Axial if you spend wisely. Wisely being the key word. Knock off stuff is a waste from the beginning.
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Decision/Questions for the Crawler Experts:
I see that on ebay you can get a new Redcat 1/10 crawler on ebay, and while it does have 4 wheel steering and twin axle motors, it only needs one battery (I thought it needed two). I was really wanting to stay with one motor and esc for single motor (just in case I decided to drop in a spare Traxxas brushed motor & esc that I have collecting dust).
So the question for you real crawlers, if I've got $200 to invest in ths, which should I do:
1. Buy the HSP Pangolin / AX10 knockoff (pro is I've got a brushed system I could put in it to go faster if I want to, and Scorpion parts interchange)
2. Buy the RedCat Racing Crawler (looks like parts are readily available if needed).
3. Keep looking/waiting for a used Ridgecrest (the model I really want as I think it would best suit my needs, has some speed, and I like how it looks better than the Wraith which is out of my price range anyway).
4. Buy a used Losi Night Crawler (seems to be a lot of parts for those available on ebay).
5. Or last, Since my main truck is a beefed up Traxxas Stampede Brushless 4X4 that I run every day to exercise the dog, my other option would be convert my backup 2WD Stampede brushless back to AM radio and brushed system and sell it that way. Then I could add a little cash and buy a new Ridgecrest, my real favorite if I had the extra bucks for it.
By the way, thanks for the help. I'm learning something here anyway.

Last edited by ROB311952; 03-24-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Forgo the instant gratification and work towards what you really want...the Ridgecrest. You won't be happy with the other two choices.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ridgecrest is my vote, stay as far away from the knockoff stuff as possible!!! Keep an eye on Craigslist in your area and watch the buy sell trade (after you hit your post count) here and other sites, don't be afraid to ask questions after you have done the research. And most of all crawling is a refined, slow, well thought out sport so have patience. The Redcat that had 2 motors is called a MOA or motor on axle like the XR10 from axial and the ridgecrest wraith AX10 SCX10 from axial are all shaft driven. I wish you the best of luck
schmaged88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

Well, I kind of thought the Ridgecrest was the way to go. But after talking with Axial, they said it wouldn't hold up as well or do what I was primarily going to use it for (racing offroad with the dog) and said nothing would be as tough as the Stampede 4X4 I have. Therefore, I decided to buy a roller (I already have everything needed to complete it) and I'm going to put my Stampede 2WD back to stock and sell that. Thanks for all the advice. It kept me from making a wrong decision.

Tags
ax10, hsp, pangolin

HSP Pangolin - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HSP Pangolin 2.2 mbnaoj Newbie General 11 10-16-2012 10:45 AM
HSP what are they like tinyjk General Crawlers 9 01-31-2012 04:19 AM
HSP Pangolin Rock Crawler 1/10 fatboy1988 Newbie General 7 02-02-2011 07:53 AM
Hsp pangolin dtcm General Crawlers 3 01-28-2011 02:28 AM
Engine for my pangolin yacos Newbie General 4 08-17-2010 02:35 PM