Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Shafty Resurrection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shafty Resurrection

I've had my old gc3a sitting around for a while. I was contemplaing selling it. Then I saw thr xr axle mod and the itch to resurrect the old girl rather than put her out to pasture took hold. So I sold all the parts I wouldn't need after the mod to fund the new parts. Upgrades from a Novak Goat 2s esc to a Tekin FXR so i could run 3s. Since i got a new esc why not upgrade the motor, right? So i did. I linked up with Eddy ay Team Brood and had him build me a nice 35t custom job off the Creep can. It's pretty damn nice! The creation fab wide splined delrin tubes are simply put, super-duper awesomely wicked! I am stoked on the new found steering and better durability of the xr cvd's. I also fabbed up a front axle battery and electronics plate to bring everything up front. Now I just need some VVDs or 300s to op it all off.

New parts:
Tekin FXR and CC bec @6v
Team Brood Creep 35t type t, 9mm comm, team 10oz springs, epoxy balancing...etc
CKRC Punch Pack 1300 maH 3s lipos
JConcepts Stage Killah body
Creation fab wide splined delrin tubes
VP xr chubs and knux
7075 steering arms
Xr cvd axles
GripFab spools
Axial HD OD/UD diff gears
Fast Eddy bearings
Mini t cups and springs
Wicked Wolf big bore caps
32p 56t spur-9t RR pinion
Homebrew 3mm front axle battery/ electronics plate...made out of an aluminum road sign
Homebrew 8-32 all-thread steering links

What I had after selling parts from previous incarnation:
GC3a chassis
HH 1300 maH 2s lipos
Hitec 7955tg servo with GH HD 1" aluminum horn
All RR trans with 1 piece lower gear
1" VP SLW V3 wheels with 5.5" CI DD foams soft front/ soft rear with med tuning ring for now
3oz in each wheel (1 wrap)
MIP driveshafts
Ax10 axles with OG steel beef tubes in the rear
Big Bores with Losi golds
Gunnar body mounts

On with the pictures
Went from this

To this

tbilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shafty Resurrection

Don't forget to add some screws in the front axle to hold those beef tubes in place! You will tear the end of your housing in no time.

Truck looks great! I love GC3-A's
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice list of parts, truck looks good

Might have to dust my crawler off, and get together for some crawling............

Last edited by Hacksaw707; 04-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Sounds good. Hit me up on here if you want to get some crawlin' on. I'm gonna go look for some more places this week. Got a couple ideas that might be pretty cool.

On another note, crawled around my wood pile earlier and it works great. Nothing broke and it pulled off some lines that I didn't think it was capable of. Just a couple more small tweaks and it should be polished.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Couple changes: shaved rovers and rcbros wraith knuckle weights wwith 4 full round weights and 1 half weight each side. Also switched from the red vp xr knuckles to black vp wraith knuckles for a little more steering. I filed down the top radius on the ears of the universals for a little more clearance too. Way happy with the setup I have going now. Might go a little softer on the front springs and may change to 50wt up front and 60wt in the rear shocks to see how that works.
I just found an awesome old quarry with a bunch big granite boulders piled up while I was out deer shed hunting today. Best part is it is a 5 minute walk from my new place! I will get some pics up to show the spot and how the rig handles it.

Last edited by tbilz; 06-01-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Looking good.
You could cover that threaded rod with some Mirco sprinkler risers.
That's what I did with my upper links.
HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMark View Post
Looking good.
You could cover that threaded rod with some Mirco sprinkler risers.
That's what I did with my upper links.
Good idea. I was looking around for something that fit right. Ill grab up some of these and see how they work. Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Got a nice red/black cf servo guard coming from Custom Fiber. Looks sweet and will save the servo from the rocks
Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The rig took a nasty fall last week so I've been out of the game for a minute. I was crawling a quarry by my house with a big ledge of boulders and I really messed up! Headed back down when I let it flip forward and bounce its way to the bottom. I tried to grab it but almost took the tumble myself! There was about a 10 foot freefall at the end, with all the pressure coming down on the left rear tire. It hit hard enough to bend the link, snap the rodend, crack the body, and most impressively, snap the shaft off the axial hd pinion gear! Man, was I bummed.

Got the new parts ordered to get her up and at it again . I decided to put a 13 tooth pinion in the rear with the 43 tooth bevel. I felt like I lost too much hop with the full underdrive setup, this should add lower the ratio just a little bit. Might not even notice the difference but I will see.

I also ordered a set of de plastic wheels that have been modified to accept vp slw hubs. These are really light and pretty tough. I'm going to glue on a set of siped and shaved white dot rover with a set of 5.25 double deuce foams. Not going to add any weight to them. Going to cut out some unneeded rotating weight. That will be about a 14 oz cut in just the wheels and tires.

The Custom Fiber servo guard s really nice so I ordered a motor guard tonight to replace the 5 Hour bottle guard I have on there now. He said he would try to bend up a red/black one but hasn't tried it before so no promises. If it works out it will look sick!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

New pics of the knuckle weights and Cuustom Fiber servo guard.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Pics of the carnage

Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
WAM
Rock Crawler

Nasty fall. If you took 14 oz out of the wheels, did you recheck your weight distribution? My CG-3A likes 60-62% front bias. If you can do that with just knuckle weights and electronics positioning, great.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Haven't taken out the weight just yet. Still waiting for the parts to make it happen. I will most definitely recheck the weight distribution when the weight does come off. As it sits now, there is 3oz in each wheel. Since the weight is balanced now, simply removing it should keep the front weight bias relatively close to what it is now (unless I am way off in my thinking.) Regardless, I will move what I have to in order to achieve a 60f/40r weight distribution.
Thanks for the heads-up, WAM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
WAM
Rock Crawler

Yeah, you shouldn't have much of a problem. My wheel weights are strictly front, so when I start paring down it's hard to keep the forward bias. All the low hanging fruit is up front.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Shafty Resurrection - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hilux Resurrection CUSTOMHILUX 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 12-01-2014 10:10 PM
CC01 resurrection. Smileyboy Tamiya XC/CC01 13 03-17-2013 05:43 PM
Dingo Resurrection.. vthcbbr Paint and Body 4 02-21-2011 09:13 PM
Nylint TJ resurrection! USMChooligan General Crawlers 2 05-28-2010 08:50 AM
Blackfoot resurrection ToTheMAXXcrawler Chit Chat 4 07-14-2006 12:18 AM