Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Samasara.....a Suckerpunch Sporty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Samasara.....a Suckerpunch Sporty

First off, thanks Travis once again for coming through. This rig just wouldn't be right without some 5th Dimension rollers under it. Had a package waiting when I arrived home from work today.

I've seen plenty of pictures of the Negative space wheels, but nothing can compare to having them in hand. These wheels are absolutely amazing. Gonna get some rubber on them later when I get the time.

For those wondering about the strength of these wheels, they are constructed very well and once bolted together are very rigid and feel stronger than they may look.

One thing I did notice, is the outside spacers are cut perfectly. I test fit a Rover and as you can see the tire bead acts as filler between the outside ring and the inner face. This will help keep everything nice and solid for the outer face of the wheels.

I finished up the tranny last week, but after getting these as cheap as I did, it'll be worth tearing it back down to install them. Gonna cross drill the shafts for the driveshaft pins and hopefully it will be the last time I tear it all apart.

AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
TSK
Shelf queen

Looks fantastic Brian. i'm excited to see this truck finished when I get back home in 2 weeks. Keep up the good work
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Maybe you should leave the transmission out until your done with everything else..........just saying.

Sweet looking wheels. This rig is going to look ultra slick.

Don't drop it the first time you go to pick it up, it's going to be smoooooooooth.....
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Looks fantastic Brian. i'm excited to see this truck finished when I get back home in 2 weeks. Keep up the good work
Thanks Travis. I don't know about two weeks man. Not with the turn around time it's taking on my tubes. I've been known to throw a rig together the night before a comp though, so we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCrackhead View Post
Maybe you should leave the transmission out until your done with everything else..........just saying.

Sweet looking wheels. This rig is going to look ultra slick.

Don't drop it the first time you go to pick it up, it's going to be smoooooooooth.....
Thanks bro. The trans isn't in the rig yet so it won't be too much hassle. Just tearing it all apart again after I just finished with it can be a pain.

So I did get a chance to wrap these crazy wheels in rubber tonight. The new CI foams gave a bit of a fight, but nothing some persuasion couldn't fix.

I was informed my tubes from CreationFab should ship early next week and then I can get to business on the axles.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
Fifth dimension

They really look sweet Brian. Great tire choice too;)!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Got some time to swap out the trans outputs today. I just didn't trust the ones I had in that were cut and I picked up a lightened pair dirt cheap. I'm more confident in these holding up and they are a gram lighter at that.

Tranny is finished and done.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Not goin to lie Brian, I'm pretty stoked to see all the 5th D bolted together!

The pics of all the parts so far have been top notch and parts list from what's not pictured are top shelf.

The Br mini is one nasty little esc! I had a few packs thru mine today and its not like anything else I have ran. Solid, smooth, constant power from start of throttle to finish.. looking forward to palmerton!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Started work on the wheel hubs tonight. You can't have a set of wheels like these and not get the full effect of "negative space".

And a final weight.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
RCC Addict

That's bad ass.

Nice job matching the hub to the wheel itself.

Keep up the good work.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCrackhead View Post
That's bad ass.

Nice job matching the hub to the wheel itself.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks man. Nothing to it really. Just trace around the wheel with the hub bolted on and cut away.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

If you use some 80 grit then 60 then 220 those hubs will shine! Im digging the wheels but I must ask. Are you afraid they might break in a nasty wreck?

My rig is built not bought!
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
Im digging the wheels but I must ask. Are you afraid they might break in a nasty wreck?
I wouldn't be worried at all.. Look at how thick the G10 is on the center piece and I don't see that breaking for quite a while...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you use some 80 grit then 60 then 220 those hubs will shine! Im digging the wheels but I must ask. Are you afraid they might break in a nasty wreck?

Not quite sure why I would want them to shine, but thanks for that bit.

As far as breaking a wheel, I'm not too concerned. They are structurely well made and once bolted together nice and rigid. I'm fairly easy on my rigs too so I don't plan on any "nasty wrecks". On top of that they have been put through the paces by a 5th D team driver and held up great.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Lookin sick Brian and lookin forward to see ya and shoot the crap w ya at Palmerton! Always a pleasure
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
Lookin sick Brian and lookin forward to see ya and shoot the crap w ya at Palmerton! Always a pleasure
Thanks Eric. Looking forward to it as well. I'll likely have the wheels along if you want to check them out.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

If those wheels are made of g10 they'll hold up I've had some nasty crashes with a heli and the g10 never failed.

Last edited by chris.martell; 09-08-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Not quite sure why I would want them to shine, but thanks for that bit.
Sorry addicted shine wasn't the appropriate word to use I guess. By shine I meant to clean up your cuts to make a smooth factory finish. With that wheel the hub will be super exposed to veiwing and with the rest of your crawler looking so good I was just trying to lend a hand so the hubs wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sorry addicted shine wasn't the appropriate word to use I guess. By shine I meant to clean up your cuts to make a smooth factory finish. With that wheel the hub will be super exposed to veiwing and with the rest of your crawler looking so good I was just trying to lend a hand so the hubs wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb.

No worries. I get what you are saying. I'm happy with the way they turned out though.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #39
RCC Addict

BR Mini and RX wired up and smashed together. I was going to put the BEC in there as well, but I didn't care for how everything fit together. I'll find a place for the BEC when the 4 link plates arrive.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #40
RCC Addict

After some time waiting for parts to arrive, I was finally able to start on the axles today with the arrival of a Fast Eddy bearing kit. I want to say thanks to Chris at Creation Fab for taking care of me with tubes and a couple freebies.

So on to it. I am not going to go in great detail since this has been covered plenty of times in the past. Here's what I started out with. I did do a little the other day with the knuckles and getting the caster where I wanted it.

Just a few basic things here.

Axle housings trimmed and shaved ready for the tubes.

A quick check for fitment before I went ahead and bolted everything together.

Some holes drilled and screws installed and they were finished. Pretty simple process. I still need to get a tie rod and am waiting on rear shafts to arrive, but they are basically finished. I did, once all the holes were drilled, tear them back down and clean out any excess plastic shavings caused from drilling the holes.

Samasara.....a Suckerpunch Sporty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOOSTED's 5th D sporty build ~Suckerpunch Sally2~ rebuild pg11 boosted4lyf Axial AX-10 Scorpion 297 10-16-2013 04:35 PM
My first sporty! jcsaxial Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 07-18-2013 09:32 AM