Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Dlux Sportsman build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dlux Sportsman build

Looks good man, are you just using regular ol pen springs in the shocks?
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #142
Wanna get? Gotta want.

This car is getting a decent amount of steering. One of my biggest concerns of going to a Wraith axle was the wider mounts. I liked the Wraith mounts though since you can switch them up or down for a different ride height. I also liked how the shock was stacked on top of the link vs the AX10 that was side by side. The AX just seemed much harder to get around.

With as much steering as I had, my tires were eating the link mounts pretty hard.

As a really simple fix, I decided to put the links and shocks in board (front only) of the mounts. Even after doing that, my tires were still hard into the mounts so, I decided to move the furthest hole as close in as I possibly could and then I cut off the rest.

Then some simple web trimming on the housing

All done and actually a lot more clearance

Thats about as much steering as I think I can pull out of this car. Hitting the link mounts in the back, hitting the diff cover in the front.

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #143
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
Looking sharp Erik. I'm digging the links for sure.
Thanks! They were a bit more work than the standards for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
Looks good man, are you just using regular ol pen springs in the shocks?
No, I just dont have my springs yet. They will be mini t.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #144
TSK
Shelf queen

Looking good mang. The drag link looks just as bent as the rear lowers. Is the servo gonna sit 86 style?

Last edited by TSK; 10-11-2013 at 12:12 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Some of our original links were bent on multiple planes.

I hated every second of it.
Such a pain to replicate!!!

I was wondering if you would have link Binding issues?
I had the same issues with my ar60's during my original mockup.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #146

Look at that steering! Wow! Do you think you can sneak your servo behind the axle and between your link like on your berg?
Shaunkjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #147
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Looking good mang. The drag link looks just as bent as the rear lowers. Is the servo gonna sit 86 style?
Now, that's just crazy talk.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #148
RCC Addict

Nice build mate.. I love seeing something different from the norm and your always good for that
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #149
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Some of our original links were bent on multiple planes.
You can just bend them in my shop if you need. No need to fly anywhere just for some links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunkjar View Post
Look at that steering! Wow! Do you think you can sneak your servo behind the axle and between your link like on your berg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Nice build mate.. I love seeing something different from the norm and your always good for that
Thanks man! Its funny how people are constantly working on similar ideas and they just happen to surface at the same time. Its nice to see your build and how you did things very differently.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #150
RCC Addict

Great minds think alike
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #151
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
You can just bend them in my shop if you need. No need to fly anywhere just for some links.
I see what you did there

Now quit swaddling you baby and finish this damn truck
Old 10-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #152
Rock Crawler

I noticed that the outside tire is steering further than the inside tire, I've noticed the same with my Ax60B axle and assumed it's due to the steering arms on the knuckles not being 0 ackerman. Do you plan on addressing this issue? The little bit I've driven my rig since the Ax60B mod it does seem to affect the steering a bit.
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #153
RCC Addict

With as much steering as your getting are you worried about the wild oscillation with the speeding up and slowing down of the universal. Even on my sporty when I had crazy steering it would damn near feel like it was going to rip the front end clean off. I ended up going back to the cheapie Chinese kunckle and chubs because they just did not get that far. Kind of self limiting.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #154
TSK
Shelf queen

I wonder if having the universal joints rotated 90* from each other, would that oscillation cancel each other out a bit, or maybe in the same orientation allowing that oscillation to be timed in sync with each other.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wonder if having the universal joints rotated 90* from each other, would that oscillation cancel each other out a bit, or maybe in the same orientation allowing that oscillation to be timed in sync with each other.
Pretty sure it doesn't work that way.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #156
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Pretty sure it doesn't work that way.
Why would it not have an affect? If the shafts spin at the same speed, and the Nile at which the operate is the same, they would speed up and slow down at the same rate if aligned, and at opposing rates when the universal joints and aligned 90* from each other.

The way I look at it, I believe you could at least get more predictable handling by understanding how the universal joint alignment affects things.

Last edited by TSK; 10-12-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #157
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
I noticed that the outside tire is steering further than the inside tire, I've noticed the same with my Ax60B axle and assumed it's due to the steering arms on the knuckles not being 0 ackerman. Do you plan on addressing this issue? The little bit I've driven my rig since the Ax60B mod it does seem to affect the steering a bit.
On your car, with the Bully knuckles, you should have 0 ack and both should turn the same amount. If they dont, I would look at your toe as that is probably what is throwing it off.

I actually made my own bolt on arms for this project just to get the exact ackerman that I wanted. I wanted to milk the front axle for all that I could get so I adjusted the arms until both tires were at max at full throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
With as much steering as your getting are you worried about the wild oscillation with the speeding up and slowing down of the universal. Even on my sporty when I had crazy steering it would damn near feel like it was going to rip the front end clean off. I ended up going back to the cheapie Chinese kunckle and chubs because they just did not get that far. Kind of self limiting.
I wouldnt say I am worried. I really like the oscillation at speed on my MOA's and even though sports is a differnt story, I have really liked the sports I have driven with a ton of steering. When I drove Nabil's car, I really just saw his steering setup as a huge advantage over everybody elses. Even with as much steering as he gets, I didnt see any quirks while driving (that the angle alone would give).

Worse case, I dont like it and I can dial it back to where I do, like you did.

Quote:
I have more steering on my super than any of my cars, combine that with the big tires and you start to really see the joints doing their thang. Its funny to watch because I can do a really sharp turn on a surface that has great traction and you would think my axles are broke. I bet I get over a 1/4 turn out of each tire without the other tire moving even a touch. When you watch them, they are offset (not on purpose) so one tire turns, then stops, the other tire turns, then stops and it keeps repeating. I suppose you could clock the shafts so they both stop and then turn together but I dont know if that would be better or worse?

I dont notice the downsides while doing obstacles. I will take the great angles and bouncing and hopping as I think they are great tools.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #158
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
On your car, with the Bully knuckles, you should have 0 ack and both should turn the same amount. If they dont, I would look at your toe as that is probably what is throwing it off.

I actually made my own bolt on arms for this project just to get the exact ackerman that I wanted. I wanted to milk the front axle for all that I could get so I adjusted the arms until both tires were at max at full throw.
You are correct Erik my toe was off after fixing it I do have equal steering.
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #159
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Got some more significant and difficult work done, the driveshafts. I am loving the way they turned out both functionally and looks.

I wanted an ultimate beefy shaft, tons of angle capability, relatively lightweight and most importantly, NO SLOP. I have used a couple different types of shafts in the past and it seemed like there was one trade off or another with each type.

76g for both, not too bad.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #160
TSK
Shelf queen

No question of "where's the beef"

Dlux Sportsman build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dlux Berg Build Erik D_lux EnRoute Berg 1696 05-22-2018 10:10 PM
DLUX super build Erik D_lux Superclass Crawlers 578 07-20-2016 09:13 AM