Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Bulldog Shafty Tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bulldog Shafty Tranny

DANG IT MR. BARRY!!! By the time I finish ordering all your cool stuff, not only will i have a full credit card, but alimony and child support to contend with!

Please...."FOR THE LOVE OF GOD" - stop creating stuff I "NEED" to buy! LOL!!!

got a price on this unit yet? HAHA! She is gonna kill me for sure

Last edited by redsawacs; 01-09-2014 at 11:17 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Sorry...... I don't remember one of these on your wish list this morning.... Lol. I almost mentioned it but was trying to keep you married! Hahaha.
ClassiCutCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #63
RCC Addict

TURD! I can plan ahead cant I?!?!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Just put mine in the villian chassis last night, I had to space the transmission up to clear the chassis or if you run a stubby motor you could move it back a ¼" and it would work perfect. With an 11 tooth pinion, its slightly faster than stock with 64 tooth main and 13 tooth pinion 48 pitch and very smooth with the same or better low end. I would recommend a stubby motor for most of the new chassis's out. It seems that most of them are very narrow front to back and have the 45 degree angle cuts right after the skid plate and that's where mine hit. Hope it all helps and have a great day

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Last edited by phllint; 01-14-2014 at 04:58 PM.
phllint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #65
Ty
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phllint View Post
Just put mine in the villian chassis last night, I had to space the transmission up to clear the chassis or if you run a stubby motor you could move it back a ¼" and it would work perfect. With an 11 tooth pinion, its slightly faster than stock with 64 tooth main and 13 tooth pinion 48 pitch and very smooth with the same or better low end. I would recommend a stubby motor for most of the new chassis's out. It seems that most of them are very narrow front to back and have the 45 degree angle cuts right after the skid plate and that's where mine hit. Hope it all helps and have a great day

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
I am in the process of putting mine in the villian right now. I have a couple ideas on mounting mine. Would you care to share a picture of your set?
Thanks Ty.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #66
RCC Addict

A few weeks ago I made some small changes to my tranny as I was building another truck for a local crawler. I had used an extra bolt on the front of my skid and I decided to draw a skid just for this tranny in the Boxer chassis. I eliminated two of the stock mounting holes...... Raised the posts and I added a through hole below the tranny and reduced the size of the mounting plate. Here are some pictures of the tweaks I did.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #67
RCC Addict

No new changes to the design but I wanted to post up a tweak to a specific application. I sold one of these locally and the new owner was having trouble fitting it in a Sudu chassis. He noticed that I had made a custom skid for somebody and asked if I could help him. After our last comp I brought the truck home and got to work. What we came up with was a "standard" tranny configuration with the motor in the front. I designed the tranny to mimic the "mirrored" configuration that most of us use. However, in this situation it didn't work well. I am able to flip the process and cut standard plates with little difficulty. Here are the pictures........

Before......

After.....

**** ClassiCutCustoms.com. ****
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #68
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Looks killer Barry Man you work fast. I can't wait to see how much weight I lost.
It really tucks up nicely in the chassis. Now to clean up my rushed wiring.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

I think I lost almost 3oz. Just from going to this transmission. It is the smoothest transmission and very quiet and it has alot of variations as far as gearing. You can bergs, hot racing, or the plastic stuff from the mad torque which gives you the option of 48 pitch or berg .6 mod. Best transmission money can buy

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Phil...... I am glad you are happy with it. I have sold a bunch of them and many yet haven't seen the differences. I am sure more will be getting in line.... Lol. Someone at the comp this weekend mentioned that they couldn't hear mine run. It hasn't had much run time yet but it just gets better and better.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

killer work Barry I was wondering how this would work out.
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #72

This tranny reminds me of a trimmed down Traxxas Magnum 272 tranny (Stampede/Rustler) from back in the day. How does this compare width-wise to one of the old Traxxas trannys?

Last edited by OregonCrawlerKing; 03-14-2014 at 05:17 PM.
OregonCrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #73
RCC Addict

I have never seen one....... I don't know how to answer your question. I can give you measurements for this if it helps. I designed it around a set of gears that I have grown to trust and a combination that gave me the ratio I needed and went from there. It has worked very well for many people. Let me know how I can help

Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

I love this trans! By far it is my favorite part of my sporty. The torque it produces is a beautiful thing. Very very light as well. Highly recommended for anyone who is looking to be at the top of their game!
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #75
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by phllint View Post
I think I lost almost 3oz. Just from going to this transmission. It is the smoothest transmission and very quiet and it has alot of variations as far as gearing. You can bergs, hot racing, or the plastic stuff from the mad torque which gives you the option of 48 pitch or berg .6 mod. Best transmission money can buy

you lost 3oz compared to a stock AX transmission?

I just ask be cause my all plastic AX trans with steel CI outputs was only 3.7oz to begin with.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #76
RCC Addict

I don't think Phil said exactly what he pulled out of his rig or how much metal was on it. He may have stretched the weight a bit too in his excitement but I think you missed the point of his post. Is there anything wrong with just being kind and complimentary to our fellow hobbyists?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #77
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassiCutCustoms View Post
I don't think Phil said exactly what he pulled out of his rig or how much metal was on it. He may have stretched the weight a bit too in his excitement but I think you missed the point of his post. Is there anything wrong with just being kind and complimentary to our fellow hobbyists?

I was simply asking if the 3oz was accurate.. One of my team drivers runs your gearbox and loves it, and I hold his opinion in very regard.

But if I was shopping for a gearbox option for my AX and I was led to believe I could lose 3oz by doing so, I'd be pretty miffed if I lost significantly less.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #78
RCC Addict

I hear you....... Yes Chris has been happy with his best I can tell. I think the problem is that everyone has done different things to the stock tranny. You add a steel 32p spur and all the works it could be close to half a pound! I forget what Bullfrog told me on his....... But he may have lost 3oz on his.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

I had a vp transmission with all Robinson racing gears and maxx shafts, 66 tooth spur and a steel 9 tooth pinion. I kept the maxx shafts and switched to the CCC transmission and saved 3oz. Literally. I was 4.3 and and now I am 4.0 on the dot. That to me says I lost 3oz. And Alli changed is the transmission.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdog7 View Post
Looks killer Barry Man you work fast. I can't wait to see how much weight I lost.
It really tucks up nicely in the chassis. Now to clean up my rushed wiring.
I got to see this thing in person and the fit was very nice. Cant wait to see how it does with the changes.
obebaldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bulldog Shafty Tranny - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savage Flux tranny in super shafty?? BeeRC Kyosho Crawlers 4 02-12-2010 06:34 PM
Savage Flux tranny in super shafty? BeeRC Superclass Crawlers 0 02-06-2010 04:20 PM
Tranny for super shafty? BeeRC Superclass Crawlers 12 11-13-2009 09:04 PM
What tranny best in a Max/ shafty ? toy4crawlin Newbie General 7 03-01-2007 05:21 PM