Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir's NCD's SuDu One FL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
DravTech

Default Dravpnir's NCD's SuDu One FL

I have been gathering parts and manufactured some parts for a Sporty for a couple of months. Then earlier this week the last big piece of the puzzle arrived, the Sudu One FL chassis from NCD.

The work is the same awesome quality that I have grown use to when dealing with Tomi and from what I have read here the performance is a nice match to the quality

I am waiting for my order from Fastener Express to get here before I will start to screw the chassis toghether. In the meanwhile I will make the spacers for the chassis. I will make them like the spacers I did for my first lightweight Berg. They will be made of aluminum spacers and a carbon fibre rod, a picture of them can bee seen in my old thread.

After being so pleased with my gear boxes for my lightweight Berg I just had to make my own transmission for the chassis. The gears will be the Berg V2/3 lightened gears. And like the Berg, Tomi made a nice job cutting out the CF pieces for me.

The output shaft is made from a 6 mm diameter grade 5 titanium rod. I will use the S.D.I drive shafts that ZZR 1100 Racer showed in his Sporty thread. I will drill holes for the drive shaft couplings when I have figured out the length of the output.
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Stephan Hauser / # 7

Default Re: Dravpnir's NCD's SuDu One FL

nice start and one time more lovely pics...looking forward to see more...
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Looking good, as always!
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
After being so pleased with my gear boxes for my lightweight Berg I just had to make my own transmission for the chassis. The gears will be the Berg V2/3 lightened gears. And like the Berg, Tomi made a nice job cutting out the CF pieces for me.
Will this be a production item in the future? Looking for a tranny for my build.
Lobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR 1100 Racer View Post
nice start and one time more lovely pics...looking forward to see more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Looking good, as always!
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
Will this be a production item in the future? Looking for a tranny for my build.
I am not a "mass producing" guy I am afraid to say. I get quite bored after figuring out how to make something and making the first set. But there is several awesome vendors here on Rccrawler that offer similar solutions. So check out Tomy's, ClassiCutCustom's, Hulksta's and perhaps Dlux's (do not know if he has started to sell his version yet) gear boxes.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
DravTech

This build is going much slower than I planned and hope for. To many ideas and too little time at the moment...

But a little sneak peak on what is happening

Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Stephan Hauser / # 7

Impressive standoffs
Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #8

Sweat
Denc_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Okay. Those cross members explains it why I havent heard back from you. You have spent all Christmas with your lathe I see.

Very beautiful work!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
DravTech

Quote:
Impressive standoffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denc_er View Post
Sweat
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Okay. Those cross members explains it why I havent heard back from you. You have spent all Christmas with your lathe I see.

Very beautiful work!
Thanks!

Sorry for not getting back to you. Like I said above, to many ideas and to little time... but do not worry I will have a bunch of work for you in a week or two. One of those ideas I think will be very exciting

Finished the last spacers tonight so now I really have to start to work on the transmission and a skidplate.

It is hard to capture the real beauty of these spacers on picture but here is a try. I think I will call them Dravpnir's Magic Wands

Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Ow man, that's a beauty... Please make those cross members for me. Lol

Sent from my EndeavorU using Tapatalk
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
It is hard to capture the real beauty of these spacers on picture but here is a try. I think I will call them Dravpnir's Magic Wands
They sure look magic!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
DravTech

I noticed that Tomi is now sending alloy standoffs with the SuduOne FL chassis. Quite an upgrade from the delrin ones and really awesome looking alloy standoffs on top of that

I got curious to see how much of weight differences it could be between the alloy standoffs and my Magic Wands. The alloy ones weight 12.9 g for the 6 long standoffs.

My Magic Wands, standard version - 4.6 g

Magic Wands, Gunnar mount ready version - 4.9 g

Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #14
RCC Addict

That's huge weight saving! Weight loss is more than 10% of the total chassis weight with your spacers.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Yes please start making these!!! I could use a set aswell as ever other sudu owner!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
DravTech

Quote:
That's huge weight saving! Weight loss is more than 10% of the total chassis weight with your spacers.
Yeah, the weight reduction was larger than I thought
I am working on a set for my Berg and MRC at the moment. It will be interesting to see the difference compared to the delrin standoffs I got on those. The longer standoffs the larger weight reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Yes please start making these!!! I could use a set aswell as ever other sudu owner!
If you see a blue star under my nick that is a good sign that I have started to sell these spacers
Right now, however, I want to test them some more and work out the last pieces of the manufactoring. There is still some cosmetic issues with the Gunnar mount modified spacers that I am not satisfied with.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
DravTech

Got a little package from Tomi today so it was long time due to start building on my sporty again.

This was the awesome thing I got from Tomi

Never wrong with some real power and finally it gets out of the box EddieO sent me a long time ago...

It is perhaps a bit silly to use almost only aluminum screws when the motor alone weights about 200 g... but why not

I also put together the axles. There is still a lot of work on them to do, but atleast I can use them to make upper links and determine the length of the shocks. For lower links Tomi is sending me a set of titanium

Rear axle - Creation Fab non-splined tubes, XR10 lockouts, CreeperBob titanium axles, NCD upper link mount and of course Axial underdrive gears.

Front axle - Creation Fab splined tubes, XR10 universals, VP Wraith knuckles, Hulksta CF steering arms, NCD battery/servo/upper link plate and Axial Overdrive gears.

I will try the Savöx 1270TG servo instead of the Hitec 7950. The Savöx servo has almost the same specification, but is a little bit lower so it do not stick out forward as much. The drag and tie rod are under construction.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
Stephan Hauser / # 7

Great looking build, Tobiaswhich motor pinion you use with the NCD transcase?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #19
Fifth dimension

While my drag link is up front, my steering is link is in the same position on my build. I'm curious how it's going to perform. I haven't gotten out on the rocks yet. As usuall, a beautiful build so far!!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #20
DravTech

Quote:
Great looking build, Tobiaswhich motor pinion you use with the NCD transcase?
Thanks! It is some old 18T pinion I had over from the bashing days with a Slash 4x4. Do not know the brand I am afraid.
18T might be a bit big as my motor is a 25T, but with the cobalt magnets I guess I will not lack any torque regardless

Original tranny with 14T pinion and 87T Spur - 15.85
Original tranny with 10T pinion and 92T Spur - 23.46

NCD tranny with 6T poinio - 42
NCD tranny with 9T poinio - 28
NCD tranny with 12T poinio - 21
NCD tranny with 16T poinio - 15.75
NCD tranny with 18T poinio - 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
While my drag link is up front, my steering is link is in the same position on my build. I'm curious how it's going to perform. I haven't gotten out on the rocks yet. As usuall, a beautiful build so far!!
Thanks
I would like to get it up over the drive shaft instead of under, but it is quite tight of room there when the links and shocks get into place. I will make a try or two though when I have axles bolted to the chassis.

Last edited by Dravpnir; 03-18-2014 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Added some gear ratio calculations

Dravpnir's NCD's SuDu One FL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir's 2014 "Standard sized" Berg Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 108 08-16-2016 11:34 PM
ZZR's Shafty...NCD's SuDu one FL ZZR 1100 Racer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 178 03-14-2015 12:57 PM
Fester's SuDu FesterUK Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-31-2013 09:50 AM
Harvo's SuDu Harvo Axial AX-10 Scorpion 37 05-02-2013 07:22 PM