Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Red's "Avenge Me" AR60 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Red's "Avenge Me" AR60 build

I agree with you Chris....pictures to follow! I'm super excited, I finally have something that looks like a crawler....mostly!

Started out by removing it from the Jig....that was the correct move. With the thinking that I needed longer shocks, I mounted some spare Wraith shocks....um, yea.......

Since I only had 2 I mocked up the SCX10 shocks on the front and realized they will work just fine!! SOOOOO, I took the longer shocks off the rear and mounted the SCX10 all the way around. Initial hack, Chassis sat just over 2" at full extension. Thinking this was entirely too high, I started farting around some more and got it a little lower. Managed to get it down to 1 3/4" but the good news is, that's at full extension. Ride height is going to be a bit lower once I get the right springs on here. For now (mock up) I am using the SCX10 dual stage springs simply because that is what I had on the bench at 930 pm.

Now that I have the basics mocked up, I can start to go back through and make the adjustments needed for everything to "just work". I now know I need to change the trans case to the dig case or get a longer output shaft. Considering I have a wraith dig transmission sitting in the spares box, I'm pretty sure that will be the cheapest way to go....it gets the "nod". This will allow my rear drive shaft to reach over the lower links - right now, they hit and wont even connect to the rear axle. I could flip the axle to the other side, but whats the fun in that? Heck, I might end up there at some point but I'll try my options as I write them down. If one doesn't wort, I'll try the next.

I still have to bend the rear links - I wont get much bend in them but I need to get the drive line finalized so I can see how much clearance I can get in the rear and bend accordingly.

I might have to move the transmission over so the front output is further from the chassis and front link mount. Last night, the drive shaft was hitting the links when I had the uppers mounted to the inside of the chassis. I moved them to the outside of the chassis and got the clearance I needed. I'll have to clearance the chassis around the link mount if I keep the links mounted on the outside....simple "Dremel" fix

I'm just excited to be at the point where I can start working out the "Kinks"....that's the fun part!

Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to know how fat it was.....

I swear I am a cat - more curiosity. I wanted to know how much effort it would take the compress the shocks as it stands - the shocks seemed REALLY soft so I had to know.

Exactly 3 pounds of force to put the chassis on the ground. Now I don't know if that is good or bad, but it seemed good to me. I could use some feedback on that.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I ran 30* bent lowers in the rear. When you clock the rear axle to get a good pinion angle the drive shaft will flatten out and clear

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #23
RCC Addict

no matter how I clock the axle right now, the drive shaft will not work...I have to extend the rear of the transmission to get it to clear. Then I should have little issue with pinion angle. IF I squash the suspension fully, then the drive shaft will clear. I'll get pictures as I work through it.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Got some more work done. I found that the shocks were allowing the chassis to drop down well below horizontal so I added some stops in the shocks. These are still the stock SCX10 springs. I will be replacing them at some point but, for now, they work well for mock up.

Got the final lower links built from solid stock...they aren't pretty, but they are very adequate. At some point....years from now, I'll have them sent off to make Ti links....one day. Decided to make Aluminum spacers to capture the cross brace screws instead of just using lock nuts. I think this will make the chassis more rigid.

Managed to get a set of tires from the "VOODOO OFFSEASON BUILDOFF" thread with my last crawler I built....funny how I won these tires for the build of another crawler that was stolen and these tires are going to be used on my new crawler...I think there is some Irony there. FREEBIE!!!!! The XR10 Wheels were acquired in a trade for an XR10 roller I got last month - wont be building the XR10 so I'll just steal the wheels and use them here - FREEBIE!!!!!

Just hanging around awaiting some parts
Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Time to lose some weight

Lost 10 grams at the grinder - SO LONG EXTRA WEIGHT!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Needed to shorten the front driveshafts a bit but I think I got a nice workable solution. Slipped a 6mm bolt into the male end to make it solid, always works for me to keep the shafts strong. Angle isn't too radical, I think I'll keep it where it is for now.

Got the Steering links fabricated using solid rod, drilled and tapped, and bent Axial rod ends. Wabbles back and forth but it stays up top and doesn't hit the diff cover.....Clean! I really fought with this setup since I had limited space inside the wheel. I ended up sanding the inside lip to allow me to get the rod end on the top of the steering arm....pretty cool what I did for that.

TRAXXAS LINK TO THE RESCUE!!!

tires swing back and hit the links - Since I won't be competing with this rig, I'm very happy with the tire swing! I will not be adjusting links, link mounts, springs, shocks etc for more clearance

Even with all the limiting factors in the suspension, links hitting drive shaft, links bumping frame rails in the rear, shocks bottoming out, I still managed to get 6" of CLEAN articulation...I'm happy with that as well - Hopefully, I wont need to make any changes here either!

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-29-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #27
RCC Addict

I got a tail shaft extension and MONSTER Hitec 8380 servo on order. I'm sure I'll be redesigning my link setup in the VERY near future with this beast!
HS-8380TH High Voltage, Ultra Responsive, Ultra Torque Titanium Gear Servo | HITEC RCD USA
This servo is basically the 7950 but it has an industry standard 25 spline and a 3mm horn set screw instead of the standard that no one ever seems to have on hand. I think there is some circuitry modifications to it as well and I'm not sure if it is programmable....we'll see about that when it arrives.

I'm Almost ready for all the epic loctite session.....thats a weekend task!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #28
TSK
Shelf queen

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I think that servo is the brushless version as well. good call on the shock limiter. SCX shocks have so much travel relative to their overall length, and quite frankly, that is part of the reason they leak so much. During compression, they displace far more volume than they are capable of, which is probably why they come with limiters to begin with.

Last edited by TSK; 03-29-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Spell-check!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
good call on the shock limiter. SCX shocks hace so much travel relative to their overall length, and quite frankly, that is part of the reason they leak so much. During compression, they dis[lace far more volume than they are capable of, which is probably why they come with limiters to begin with.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Oh I called Hitec and talked to them for over 45 minutes about servos...if I could have afforded the brushless servo, I would have bought one...the Brushless servos are 179$....yea, i'm not going there!

Starting to smash some electronics - lets see if I remember how......

Don't let the smoke out!
Old 03-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #31
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
The exception being spell-check. Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Starting to smash some electronics - lets see if I remember how......
A hammer works
Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #32
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
A hammer works
Old 03-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Grabbed a flysky 3C off the shelf since it was a spare sitting around, side under micro from the "XR10 never gonna get built" build, new castle BEC and a soldering iron and went to work!

Took off the micro sidewinder on/off switch and dropped some solder over the terminals
Ripped off the shrink wrap
Decased the receiver
Shortened the receiver wires on BEC and ESC
Added a deans plug
Phenolic spacer between the receiver and ESC
Removed the while wire from the ESC
And smashed everything together. I considered removing the antenna wire but wasn't sure how it would affect the receiver capabilities. Just wrapped it so it is out if the way now.
Lost 9 grams in the process.

Tiny comparison.....
Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #34
RCC Addict

I got the tail shaft extension in yesterday and managed to get it installed - gave me EXACTLY what I wanted and needed! Managed to get some weights and measurements for anyone needing it at a later point.

Some general measurements - not exact but they are close enough for my taste

Once everything was installed, I got roughly 17mm extension out of the shaft. I had to grind about 2mm off the end of the shaft so the wild boar yoke would reach the pin hole but that didn't change the 17mm I got in extension over the stock part. With only 3gram difference from the stock output(9 grams) to the new output(12 grams), I think the payoff is reward enough.

The new shaft gave me EXACTLY the amount of extension I was looking for - perfectly placed the drive shaft yoke between the upper and lower links so there is no issues with binding between the links and shaft. I think when I tilt the pinion angle up and put a bend in the lower links for clearance, I'll need bent upper links on the rear at that point - we'll see about that....but I'm sure it will be needed.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #35
RCC Addict

I got the beast of a servo in and come to find out - this servo can not be programmed. No worries, its still a macho choice for the girliest of rigs!

Needed to get the mounting location for the electronics figured out so I started fartin around with ideas...ended up utilizing the servo mounting location, just offset and centered in the lower link area! I dig it!

Needed to rework the layout of the electronics smash to get everything to fit nice and clean with all the articulation and such. Worked out a fancy little way to wire in the servo from the BEC. I changed out the male end for a female end and plugged the servo power wires into that plug. Popped out the signal wire for the receiver...BUT, I needed a way to program the CC BEC so I simply built a male to male pigtail that floats around the workbench - plug one end into the new BEC connector and the other end goes right into the Castle link. Yup, I'm happy with it!

Simple battery bracket to end out the night

Last edited by redsawacs; 06-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #36
RCC Addict

I forgot to mention I received my Team Brood Love - Intensity 35t machine wound....will be fine for a recreation crawling I will be doing. When I'm ready to get serious, I'll move up to hand wound - for now, this will be plenty!

MINUS PAINT - Ready to run with a 3s 800mah battery - 1837grams / 4lbs 0.8oz
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Mental note*****Flysky receivers do not like 8 volts!*****

Originally, I wired in the BEC to the receiver for testing and well, I suppose I fried it. My online search revealed they are only good to 6v.....

I'll have a new receiver this week and I"ll, once again, have to re-wrap those dang electronics - sigh.

Last edited by redsawacs; 04-08-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #38
RCC Addict

I have been fighting with the electronics all week now and I just realized that I can not smash a flysky receiver with the castle micro....it glitches so bad! At least I have been very unsuccessful. I ended up putting it back in the case and mounting it on top of the ESC - still a smash-ish, but not as cool looking.

I'll be looking for a Spectrum like I had in my last one soon!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Maybe I can get some feedback on this one.

I tested the rig this weekend and the servo was VERY glitchy when I applied throttle. If I was not on the throttle, the servo acted perfectly fine. I am running a 3s 800 battery and I have the BEC cranked up to 8v and directly wired to a Hitec 8380-TH servo. I am using a ground from the BEC to the servo and receiver to eliminate glitching.

The other issue I have is "turbo lag" upon acceleration.

Any thought would be wonderful....this is driving me nuts

Castle Creations seems to think I have the BEC voltage up too high...thats an easy test this evening. Anyone else?

Last edited by redsawacs; 04-21-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Try eliminating some options... .. Run a separate 2s battery to the servo and see if it fixes it. That will tell you if it is the wiring or the servo.

**** ClassiCutCustoms.com. ****
ClassiCutCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote

Red's "Avenge Me" AR60 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!" jkabee Axial SCX-10 128 03-24-2013 12:10 PM
My "Frogger" build "Litoria xanthomera" DRV KRAWLER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 61 10-04-2011 09:09 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM