Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Mini T Spring question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #1

Default Mini T Spring question

Hey all, i was wondering if anyone here with a set of Mini T springs could take an inside diameter measurement of one of them for me?

I have two pairs of Tamiya Aeration damper rear shocks (From a DB01) that i want to use on my Bender SWX build, and i was wondering if i would have to modify the bases of these shocks or whether they would slip around the bases.

The shaft itself is the same thickness as the Traxxas shocks, and i currently run Traxxas rod ends on them.

Also, can anyone here tell me if the threading on a pair of stock plastic shock caps is the same as the threading on the aluminium ones? If so then the Alloy ones should screw straight on, as the Traxxas plastic caps seem to fit my TRFs.

~Beany.
PGT-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: Mini T Spring question

I doubt you'll find an accurate answer on here as I doubt anyone else is running that shock on a crawler.

I would say that the mini T spring would probably NOT fit that TRF damper without some sort of modification or an upper spring cup, as the lower shock seal cap looks like it may be too large a diameter for the mini T spring to fit over. The piston shaft diameter has nothing to do with it. You need to concern yourself with the diameter of the shock body.

I am pretty certain that the traxxas aluminum and plastic shock caps have the same thread pitch assuming that they are both designed for the same shock body.

You biggest concern will likely be the shock length though as the SWX probably needs a 4" shock.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT-RC View Post
Hey all, i was wondering if anyone here with a set of Mini T springs could take an inside diameter measurement of one of them for me?
10mm
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
10mm
Thanks calderwood! Looks like it could work after all. The hex on the base of the shock is exactly 10mm, and it has a 0.75mm lip on the edges. Looks like i'm off to buy some mini-t springs then.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I doubt you'll find an accurate answer on here as I doubt anyone else is running that shock on a crawler.

I would say that the mini T spring would probably NOT fit that TRF damper without some sort of modification or an upper spring cup, as the lower shock seal cap looks like it may be too large a diameter for the mini T spring to fit over. The piston shaft diameter has nothing to do with it. You need to concern yourself with the diameter of the shock body.

I am pretty certain that the traxxas aluminum and plastic shock caps have the same thread pitch assuming that they are both designed for the same shock body.

You biggest concern will likely be the shock length though as the SWX probably needs a 4" shock.
The diameter of the shock body is about 11.5mm, and the seal's hex diameter is exactly 10mm. If i file the hex back about 0.25mm on each side it should slip on.

And that's great. The plastics sit on these shocks just fine but i wanted to go with aluminium for added strength. They'll have the rod-end mod done to them for extra length.

However the shocks from eye to eye are 95mm... With the rod end mod i might score an extra 3-5mm out of them but i think the travel is what's going to restrict me.

Tags
bender swx, build thread, mini t, spring, tamiya

Mini T Spring question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P.A.R.C. Spring Comp #3 - Mini Moab - 02/23/2014 AZrcdriver Arizona 23 02-27-2014 09:35 PM
Mini-T Spring Rates BDN Axial XR10 8 06-22-2012 03:35 PM
Losi Mini T spring set question Mysterious Axial XR10 9 06-01-2012 10:20 AM