Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: i would have need to know your

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default i would have need to know your

i everyone i am planning to build a comp shafty,but i did't do comp it is just for my own self ,and i don't want to read all the build trhead on rcc time will be missing me so i have decide to make a build thread where i could have all your knows and tip i will only have to read my thread so here we go and thanks to all people that will make a look and the helps they will give and sorry for my poor English it is my second language and don't talk to much only here on rcc to talk to you.

what i want to know is what i could do with my ax10 tranny for now it is stock i plan to do the m3 brass inserte in(if someone could tell me how do this mods),do i need to change the gear what are the best for,what is needed and what not,what gearing ratio you run or should invest on one in cf like most of you run i knews some people do and sell it here?for the motor i don,t want to to spend many dollars on one but i want a kind of mid range motor want to know your suggestion and the price range they are and what i need i am looking on a 35t or something like this so you will help me,for the axle i know it have a build thread on this,i know o.d and u.d gear and a good set of locker let me know your suggestion on this i have for now the grip fab for a scaler, but the thing i would need to know is what front and rear width is legal and if i make beef tube mods what in generaly vp hubs is need(front/rear),for my shock i will run scx10 one modded and want to know who make spring retainer for they are mostly back order so let me know,for the electro i plan to go with micro Spectrum rx and probably micro sidewinder decase for now i only have a novak rooster crawler, for the Wheel i will probably by the crawler innovation one with silver or blue Voodoo with the soft compound foam with comp cut, dont want to invest in cf on moin that took one used at a good price but they are rare to find,for the chassis i plan to make my own link but want to know how to do example if i need 128 e2e how to calculate the bend for???and the chassis i don't know wich one i will took i have to eard news from some vendor they have many range of price, what you because here you already have all of what could exist ,think about the one that you have i was looking to sudu one but eard that they will no longer available,sucker punch,the one from ccc,evil crawler ringer v2 ,the best for me will be to find a used chassis but this too it rare .

so on this i would eard your knews soon because i have began to call parts and search but with your helps i will buy the good thing ,and thanks for all of you for the looking
pyranahryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: i would have need to know your

There are a lot of guys here that are more than willing to help...."IF" you have done some searching/reading and try to help yourself and not expect someone to hold your hand.

You asked a lot of questions that the answeres are readily available if you read a little bit....

best of luck
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I realize English isn't your native language, but 30 questions in one sentence?

Postclanker is right...you need to do some reading on all your questions and make up YOUR mind on what's best for YOU.

Everyone has different setups and opinions about how their rig should be built.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Break it down into sections for us... It sounds like your very excited, which is great, but slow it down a little. I'd start with the chassis, axles and steering and go from there. I run a SUDU, but they are no longer available. Check out CCC (classicutcustoms) for the chassis, he is a very helpful vendor and POSSIBLY even more enthusiastic than yourself, he can sell you a chassis with links, you can get your project rolling. There's more great chassis out there, but I have no experience with them.

Here's a hint... Pick a chassis you like that is available, find a long build thread where someone used that chassis and read the whole thing. Then come back here and ask more specific questions, one at a time-you will get much more information this way.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyranahryder View Post
i everyone i am planning to build a comp shafty,but i did't do comp it is just for my own self
More of a basher than a comp'er, gotcha.

Quote:
,and i don't want to read all the build trhead on rcc time will be missing me so i have decide to make a build thread where i could have all your knows and tip i will only have to read my thread so here we go and thanks to all people that will make a look and the helps they will give
Starting a thread of your own to merge just the info you want probably isn't the worst idea. As the years go on, there's a good chance you'll remember reading about stuff on here, but Dangit all to Heck if you can remember where you found it. A build thread'd be a pretty good place to leave yourself reminders.
But asking that we spend our time on research that you wouldn't waste your time on? Best of luck with that.

Quote:
and sorry for my poor English it is my second language and don't talk to much only here on rcc to talk to you.
Well, thanks for trying anyway. Unfortunately, when I was in school (back in the '70s & '80s), there was no such thing as the internet, so I didn't know back then that I'd need to know how to speak anything other than the classic Chi-town slang I grew up with. (shrug) Sorry, but please bear with us as we try and figure out what you're asking for.

Quote:
what i want to know is what i could do with my ax10 tranny for now it is stock i plan to do the m3 brass inserte in(if someone could tell me how do this mods)
Five AX transmissions in my stable, and none of them has the brass insert mod. Easy on tightening the screws, there, Dr. Silverback.
I have busted an output, so I do recommend the Robinson Racing 1-piece lower gear. It's not drilled through, so if you have pins in your driveshafts now, you'll need to switch to setscrews and blue (medium strength) Loc-Tite. After putting that in, I did also destroy the middle gear, and Robinson also offers a metal replacement, so I installed that. Now to wait and see what lets go next.

Quote:
,do i need to change the gear
Dunno, no idea what gears you currently have.

Quote:
what are the best for
Depends on what you're running in. Gear lower if you know you'll be running in grass, sand, mud, water, or snow. If you're going to be mainly on hard-pack trails and rocks you have a little more room for error in your choice.
Also important to know is what battery you'll be running. All my crawlers run on 3S LiPo. I've never run a 2S in any of them. Therefore, I'm a big proponent of gearing on the low side.
The gearing is also going to vary wildly depending on if you're running short 1.9 tires & wheels, or a taller 2.2 combo.

Quote:
,what is needed and what not,
Need to make sure your spur and pinion are both the same pitch. All mine came stock w/ 48 pitch, but many newer Axials are reportedly coming with 32 pitch. Either find out which you have, or if you're buying both anyways, then just make sure they're both the same.

Quote:
what gearing ratio you run
Both my Scorpions came with 14/87 (in 48 pitch). The Poison Dart and CUCV run the same. For JUNKFOOT, I wanted more wheelspeed for the trails, so I geared up to 16/87 (48 pitch), and went down to a 30 turn motor. The tires on that truck are short enough that I could probably gear up more if I wanted to.

Quote:
or should invest on one in cf like most of you run i knews some people do and sell it here?
That's your call to make. I just don't see the benefit, so for my bashers I'd just as soon run the stock trans.

Quote:
for the motor i don,t want to to spend many dollars on one but i want a kind of mid range motor want to know your suggestion and the price range they are
For a mid-range, I'd say look into the Holmes Torquemaster Sport motors, or Brood Intensity motors or Tekin brushed motors. IMO, Novak and Integy are about the lowest class motors I'd recommend. My experience has been that Venom Fireballs have lived startlingly short lives.

Quote:
and what i need
12 or 13 gauge wire (stranded, not solid), connectors to match whichever speed control you end up with, solder & soldering iron, also highly recommend heat shrink tubing.

Quote:
i am looking on a 35t or something like this so you will help me
Tekin 35 turn Heavy Duty

Quote:
,for the axle i know it have a build thread on this,i know o.d and u.d gear and a good set of locker let me know your suggestion on this
All my axles are stock geared except for the front axle on my Poison Dart, that one's OD'd. The OD in the front, I can recommend. I, personally, say leave the rear stock.

Quote:
i have for now the grip fab for a scaler,

Quote:
but the thing i would need to know is what front and rear width is legal
Forum: USRCCA Rules

Quote:
and if i make beef tube mods what in generaly vp hubs is need(front/rear)
I like the looks of the RCBros Burly Tubes, and they have installation instructions on their website you can read over to see if that's something you want to do. As far as the Vanquish parts up front, dunno, I just used the stock plastic XR c-hubs and knuckles. Haven't had a problem yet. What measurement you're going to need for the hubs will depend on your wheels' backspacing. On my Poison Dart, I just picked out wheels I liked and used the stock Axial hexes. No idea what the width is.

Quote:
,for my shock i will run scx10 one modded and want to know who make spring retainer for they are mostly back order so let me know
Can't help ya there, sorry. As irritating as they are, I'm still rollin' on the stock cups.

Quote:
,for the electro i plan to go with micro Spectrum rx and probably micro sidewinder decase for now i only have a novak rooster crawler
I have Micro Sidewinders and 35 turn motors in both my Poison Dart and my CUCV. Never had a problem with either one.
Add to your list...... a Castle 10 amp BEC, and a CastleLink & cable.
If you decide to go with a Holmes motor, they also have a BR Micro speed control. Actually, from the Holmes website you can pick up a 35 turn Torquemater Sport motor, a BR micro ESC, a Castle BEC, a CastleLink, a receiver bypass adapter, and quite possibly a brushless servo, too. All in one place. (and they offer wire and connectors, too)

Quote:
, for the Wheel i will probably by the crawler innovation one
The Double Deuce Six Bolt wheels? Sweet! Pick up some glue while you're there, 'cause you have to glue your tires to those rims.

Quote:
with silver or blue Voodoo
Nice. Heard a lot of good reports on those, but I've never used 'em.

Quote:
with the soft compound foam with comp cut
From Crawler Innovations? Nice. I just installed some Double Deuce foams in my XR build (firm inners w/ soft outers). They went in nice & easy.

Quote:
, dont want to invest in cf on moin that took one used at a good price but they are rare to find
Saaaaay whaaaaa?

Quote:
,for the chassis i plan to make my own link but want to know how to do example if i need 128 e2e how to calculate the bend for???
128mm end to end, one bend, 30mm centerline radius, 30° bend,
Start with a link measuring 132.1446481mm.
Measure in from one end 78.09643207mm, and make a mark (we'll call this back tangent).
Measure from the other end 39.04821603mm, and mark the front tangent.
Those two marks should be about 15mm apart, this is where your bend will be located. Bend to 30° (plus enough to account for springback), measure end to end, should be close, bend more if your e-e is too long, bend less if your e-e is too short.

........ unless somebody else has a better idea? (shrug)

Quote:
and the chassis i don't know wich one i will took i have to eard news from some vendor they have many range of price,
Do you have a set amount that you're comfortable spending?

Quote:
what you because here you already have all of what could exist
Many of the people on this forum are also on other forums. If something outside of here would work for us, somebody would have brought that information over here and let us in on it.

Quote:
,think about the one that you have
Okay.

Quote:
i was looking to sudu one but eard that they will no longer available
,sucker punch
,the one from ccc
,evil crawler ringer v2
Also take a look at the Underground Crawlers, Fastback 2 chassis.

Ringer V2, that's one I have. But I'm not using it for a shafty build, I'm sticking XR-10 axles under mine.

Quote:
,the best for me will be to find a used chassis but this too it rare .
That's how I got my Poison Dart chassis. That one took a LOOOOOONNNGG time to find.

Quote:
so on this i would eard your knews soon because i have began to call parts and search but with your helps i will buy the good thing
Then you just have to figure out how to make everything work together.

Quote:
,and thanks for all of you for the looking
n/p
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Wow trouble, that has to be one of the longest posts I've seen in a long time
Old 10-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yeah, that was about an hour and a half he won't get back.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ok ok first thank you trubble for all you info ,really appreciated and thank to all other too.sorry for the inconveniance on ''i don't want to read all the build threads'' i read them but what i have would say is i just want to take the lattest news of where people are with her shafty and the newest innovation that we have today, i read build thread ecah day one or two hour,the big problem i have is where i stay they have not to much people running shafty it more moa i have run one this summer and sold it was great but at the biggin what's make me love the crawler is your shafty buil and it was my first idea i have took a lock on a moa and try it so.In my futur question i will try to make them more clear,i know for a begin i have ask too much question but it is my first thread ,i past more time to read than write,only in p.m. builder for some question.thanks.

i resolved my spring cap retainer, i have ordered from crawler innovation in the same time the crawler innovation 2.2 Wheel,xr universal,O.D AND U.D gear,the only thing that will miss me for my axle will be the beeftube, i also have ordered xr10 c-hub,xr10 knuckle and wraith straight adapter,and some bc-brian shift hub offset kit and ordered from rc bros knuckle weight kit and their soft spring kit,for my axle and shock (only thing for shock that will miss me will be the machined shock piston but i will make an other order soon for)

my tranny is an brand new one in bag ,just assembled it ,all gear is stock from the bag, i don't have spur and pinion motor i have to ordered one so this is why i have would knows what is in generally your gearing set-up i just one a kind of started up set-up ,i have to order and want to order good thing .my drive shaft are screwed they are from ckrc it their own i have for the ax10 i will probably switching on other one latter but for now to began i think they will do the job,thanks

for the motor the mid range i have talk was for the price range i would invest not too much than 125$-150$ ,think more Under 100$ but will depend so just want something good and will push me everywhere i want to go ,for the idea about 30t- 35t is what i see that most of you run but know you have other kind of motor,just let me know your idea i know trubble do some but was not sure if my question was clear at this point so now i have made more clear i think

for chassis , i take care look on thread i read, but is hard to tell i want this one or this one i can't see it in reel so i have to check pics of the post this is the reason i would have some idea from the builder i think the chassis have all the same configuration and do same job ,but their weith,lennght and height and materilal will change,so i think if i considere i don't do comp(just because we don't have where i stay but the summer at about 4h on car it have one,this is why i would keep in mind to to a comp shafty) g-10 material could be good for me and the chassis made by this stuff they are only 3(evil crawler-5th dimesion and turbo's) that build with, carbon not too bad too but more costive i can save the weight at some other place to compasate and money on other great parts for.the link i will probably try for the began the crawler innovation delrin but don't really know for sure at the finish it will be lower in ti and upper probably in cf rod like ''hasstnoide''(not sure it is write correctly)

so on this trubble what you think on the evil crawler i find it cool but don't see to much thread here made with your the first i see that have the v2 and maybe another one too but tell me a little bit on if you want,i eard some good thing on the sucker puch those 2 are what i most looking first they are in 100$range turbo is a little bit more and in cf they have 2 other i take a look new rockstar and boxer from ccc so hope some news on

and thanks again to all if i forget some thing let me know it or if something is not to clearly too.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you have a really good start with the parts you have ordered.

For a motor.. With the price you have given.. You can go with a personal favorite of many of the guys and myself.. A HH 13t 500 puller.. It's by far my favorite! It's super smooth low speed crawl, enough torque to break gears, punch to no end, and wheel speed to get you up that face, across that gap, or simple just to right ur rig or clean your tires out..

For chassis.. I have ran a BWD, a Sucker Punch, Chaotic Crawler's El Nino, and currently a CCC Boxer.. I also crawl with Turbofest and half a dozen of the guys with his chassis(it is a close second on my favorite list)
I love my Boxer! Is brought 1st place home at the last 2 club comps, with 1 from each club I crawl with.. Got in the top 5 at World's with, after only 2 weeks of having it.. It just simply does good work out on the rocks!
Throw a CCC Bulldog tranny in it and it is one of the smoothest I have ran to date!

I'll be posting video in my CCC Boxer thread in the next day or 2..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Hey winneron how do you have find the chaotic crawler el nino 3 ,i have bought the one that dlux have put to sell yesterday ,what are your suggestion on this but for now my big proble is to find parts or someone that still have one because i need the side brace and the skid or if someone could tell me the dimension or send me template of. In next few day i will try to find some chaotic guy for info and read elnino build thread That i will find it will be my chassis for began so thanks for your comments on.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I think that Dlux was selling the skid and braces with that chassis was he not????

I swa that for sale and thought of you ....
Old 10-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

No they were not with it it was wite but for the price for a began chassis i have thinking tthat will be good, for brace the only thing i need to know is all the lenght i need ,but biggest problème is skid but i will find someone who have this chassis and try to have all dimmension of and i will make one this will be my goal this week anyway it will make one week or two to arrived at my home, and i know chaotic are closed to but i have talk to the one here that have chaotic crawler nickname and just stay to have news from him so all helps will be appreciated and thanks to alls again
Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I got mine before they closed up shop.. Any questions I can answer for you, lmk..

I almost bought that from Erik, just for the extra parts..

I have a SMASH chassis w/skid, sitting here just the same.. Lol..
Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default now it is a chaotic elnino 3

Ok i would like to know wich crawler innovation foam could be the best for losi boss claw tire for this chassis can someone have some idea????

And do someone have a good pics for xr10 universal join mods??

And if any of you have trick and advise for this chassis let me know thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: now it is a chaotic elnino 3

Quote:
Ok i would like to know wich crawler innovation foam could be the best for losi boss claw tire for this chassis can someone have some idea????
For square-ish tread profiled tires like Boss Claws and Voodoos, I would go with either C.I.'s Deuce's Wild single stage foam in firm (if you can stand stompin' around on harder tires), or C.I.'s Double Deuce with firm inners and medium outers.
I went with the firm/soft combo, but I run Rovers, which have a little more rounded of a profile.

Be sure to drop a line to Crawler Innovations and get their recommendation. Make sure you know whether you want hard tires that are going to keep their shape, or if you're willing to tolerate softer foams and tires that might fold over when sidehilling. Which ones you get will be heavily influenced by your preferences.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

For foams.. I run CI double deuce 5.25" foams with soft front outers with a tuning ring(after Alot of run time) and medium rear outers.
This will also depends on ur overall rtr weight.. This setup works with a 4lb rig, give or take a few ounces..

I have plenty of cut patterns(if ur's aren't cut yet) that work awesome!
I have pics of them in my XR thread as well as my CCC berg thread..

I have some pretty good pics of the uni mod as well.. I would have to search my threads for them. Or take some pics for you and post them here.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

If you do the XR mod, don't be discouraged with the sticker shock. If you don't mind the cost ($200) it is well worth it. I have some RCBros knuckle weights on mine....works great

Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
If you do the XR mod, don't be discouraged with the sticker shock. If you don't mind the cost ($200) it is well worth it.
I'll echo the "you won't be disappointed" sentiment. Night and day difference.

On mine I didn't do the Vanquish aluminum bits. I just used the stock plastic XR c-hubs and knuckles, so it was nowhere near $200. I did cut off the ears off the back of the knuckles, though, and I made myself steering arms for the fronts of the knuckles. The only problem I had was that I got lazy when doing the install and only felt like doing one screw per tube. That came back to bite me in the form of uncontrollable caster problems. So don't be lazy, do it right.

I guess whether you need the AL stuff, or if you can get by with plastics will depend on your driving style. Apparently, since I've had no problems with suspension or steering, I must be just docile enough. Never seen you drive, so I can't say if you'd be as lucky as I've been. Don't know.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the pics,not sure of what you would says by the 200???and i am not an expert in crawling i have run an xr10 this summer but i have sold it and regret but i like it so for the xr10 mods i will began with stock plastic and upgrade after if neededn the only thing i know and have seen is some person work the universal joint for better articulation , i think and thi is what i would see and will do. for tire question no probleme with cut'n'shaved ,on my xr10 i have shaved and work my hb rover and i like it doing all thing by my self,just tell me or let me see pics and iam eas with,the only probleme it foam setting in my rig i was having memory for and find my tire was too soft but at this moment with your help it is more easy and i really appreciated it thanks to all.and i forget and not really understand what you would have said about the sticker shock, what i plan for set-up shock are scx10 modded (jeepin doug spring cup,rcbros spring,axial machined piston,traxxas oring,bladder). so if you have good thresd link and pics lets me know or post it in the thread it is always appreciated thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
the only thing i know and have seen is some person work the universal joint for better articulation , i think and thi is what i would see and will do.
D-lux Fab used to offer universal shafts that were clearanced for 70° articulation, not sure if they still do. I don't have any pics of the work done, sorry.

I haven't done this mod to either my Poison Dart, nor to my XR-10. I just installed my shafts straight up stock.