Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #1

Default AX10 Transmission

Hey there, I am planning on using the Axial AX10 transmission in my scale crawler with a Tekin ROC12 Brushless 2300kV motor supplied by 3s power. Obviously I am going to have to beef up the trans, but while I am at it, should I be looking at a different tooth count for the spur gear with this motor? I plan on replacing all the gears in this transmission with their respective Robinson Racing counterparts.

Some other partially relevant information is that I will be using a GCM 1:1 Transfer Case and RC4WD K44s (3:1 Ratio) which I am told can suffer pretty badly with torque twist? Also, tires will be pretty small in diameter methinking somewhere in the 3.4"-3.7" range

Last edited by JKWrangler; 12-07-2014 at 01:04 AM.
JKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: AX10 Transmission

You might want to get 32p spur and pinion.

Duratrax 32p 56t spur mounts right up to the slipper plate.

32p pinion options from 11(faster)-9t(slower)
Maybe with the 2300kv, you could use a 12t or 13t.. That would be up to you and how much speed you want.

I like the HR steel tranny gears myself.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

The tekin website states that the speed of the tekin roc412 on 3s is equivalent in speed to that of a 35t brushed motor

I have never personally run it but I hope to one day!
JAYDEN1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
You might want to get 32p spur and pinion.

Duratrax 32p 56t spur mounts right up to the slipper plate.

32p pinion options from 11(faster)-9t(slower)
Maybe with the 2300kv, you could use a 12t or 13t.. That would be up to you and how much speed you want.

I like the HR steel tranny gears myself.
So this would be a drop in modification? I won't have to do any extra work to make these gear sets work? Also, can you explain to me why your choice is what it is, is it for reduced operating temps, more crawling power, more top end speed? HR is what... A company?

Sorry, I just really don't know much about gears and gearing. I would do some searches and try and learn it a little better, but I have just been so busy with work... Don't really have the time.

Edit: Looked the up and realized they are plastic! While I understand plastic can be quite strong, I am looking to use only metal or steel gears...The RR AX10 gears look pretty nice since they are hardened steel or hardened aluminum depending on which you look at.

Last edited by JKWrangler; 12-07-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler View Post
So this would be a drop in modification? I won't have to do any extra work to make these gear sets work? Also, can you explain to me why your choice is what it is, is it for reduced operating temps, more crawling power, more top end speed? HR is what... A company?

Sorry, I just really don't know much about gears and gearing. I would do some searches and try and learn it a little better, but I have just been so busy with work... Don't really have the time.

Edit: Looked the up and realized they are plastic! While I understand plastic can be quite strong, I am looking to use only metal or steel gears...The RR AX10 gears look pretty nice since they are hardened steel or hardened aluminum depending on which you look at.
I have had better luck for internal gears with the Hot Racing Super Duty Light Weight Steel gear set. It is the gears used in SuperShafty's bomb proof transmission.

If I was going to upgrade here is the parts that I would use:

HR Gears -- Super Duty Light Weight Steel Gear Set - Super Shafty

Beefy Top Shaft -- WRAITH & AX-10 BEEFY Top Shaft - Super Shafty ( Allows use of RR 32p slipper)

#7856 Robinson Racing Steel Slipper

SS Ultimate Motor Plate -- Provides longer slots for adjustment and more metal to act as a heat sink for the motor.
AX10 "ULTIMATE" Motor Plate - Super Shafty

With you motor / axle combo For a pinion I would start out with a 11t 32P harden steel pinion -- RRP8711
Pinion Gear Reducer Sleeve -- RRP1200 Needed to fit a 5mm pinion on the Roc412.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm with K7..
I've had Great luck with the HR gears posted above..

The duratrax spur is plastic..
Something in ur bombproof drive train Has to be plastic... IMO..
Tho, even with the plastic spur, it always seems it's my ring and pinion that break or strip teeth first!

I use a BWD motor plate.

Other then the internal HR gears and a motor plate, my tranny is stock..

I abuse the crap out of it on 4s from 3100kv- 4000kv motor's.. (In my Sexo/wraith) also 4s in my scx with a HH Trailmaster BL motor..

My other ax/scx tranny's are built the same way but only running 3s thru brushed.. Never a problem..

Skip the sleeve and pinion suggested above.(nothing against it)

Go straight to a ax30837 Exo 5mm bore pinion.. (One less piece to come loose)..
Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

That's great and all, by why are you guys recommending these tooth counts? What is the difference between your recommended tooth counts and stock #s?

Is this all to add on more top end with my motor choice? Or is going to ease the load placed on the motor for a higher crawl ratio?

Really, my main concern right now is that I was told my axles are going to be pretty bad sufferers of torque twist (Which to me sounds like a lot of broken axle shafts) and that theres really no other options for changing my diffs gearing and shafts. So with that being said, I want to make this power train set up as reliable as possible. I understand that usually with increased reliability, comes a decrease in performance. I want my transmission to be able to absorb the extreme forces of the motor without breaking, so that my axles are not overpowered while at the same time making sure that the motor doesn't get too stressed and over heated. (I am going to use weak front/rear driveshafts as a "failsafe" of sorts, but lets pretend like I am not.)

Don't just throw products at me and say you've had luck with them. Explain exactly why you went with them, and why you like whatever performance change you got out of them.

I don't care if I don't get the best low end grunt or high end speed out of this motor. I just want my power train set up to be reliable as possible.

Last edited by JKWrangler; 12-08-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ok, the tooth count in 32p and 48p are different..

So in 48p 87/17 is a 5.11:1 gear ratio.
In 32p 56/11 is a 5.09:1 gear ratio..
So it's not the tooth count it looking at.
Divide the spur by the pinion for gear ratio..

The 32p gears have beefier teeth..

We recommend them, cause they work under the extreme abuse we put them thru.. Nuff said...

You can work out ur gear ratio to what you want after you have a starting point..

I don't know the axles you have, as I haven't ran them. But in my experience, TT is caused by link and shock geo. Which means, to me, you should be able to dial out the TT with the right setup..

I went with the duratrax spur cause it's a drop in replacement.
Same with the pinion I recommended.

And cause it just works.. For me! They much, much abuse, a handful of different BL motors from 3100kv to 4000kv on 4s..

So if it works for me and Many others, just buy it and enjoy.. ;)

AX10 Transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP AX10 Transmission.... jeepster73 Axial Wraith 6 12-14-2011 11:02 AM
transmission for ax10 chromoly77 Newbie General 14 12-29-2010 09:22 PM
AX10 transmission TLTCrawlin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 07-16-2009 06:40 PM
ax10 transmission MaxxCrawler02 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 01-06-2008 08:24 AM