RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   link length (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/518498-link-length.html)

ned72 12-13-2014 01:55 AM

link length

Trying to make my first set of links, got the process. Just wondering what's a good length for the hulksta joker chassis?

JENS 12-13-2014 12:51 PM

Re: link length

With AR60's here :

Crawl ANZ - View topic - Alright....Joker again.....With A twist....

Turtlejon 12-13-2014 10:48 PM

Is there a way to figure the optimal length and mounting locations? Trial and error? Just following others?

Purptr8r 01-09-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtlejon (Post 4989743)
Is there a way to figure the optimal length and mounting locations? Trial and error? Just following others?

build a jig ....:flipoff:............couple pieces of flat aluminum from the harware store about 14 inches long by 3 or 4 inches tall per side ...drill a hole in one end of each and a slot in the other end of the other..one side of the slot is 12 inches from the hole the other end of the slot is 12.5 you can bolt your axles in the holes at your desired wheel base then lay another piece of flat stock across the 2 and rest your chassis on that piece .....figure out your bias 50/50 or 60/40..........now you have the distances .you can them use metal coat hangers pipe cleaners brake line or thread all to make your bends ...when youre happy with that then you re create them out of ti or aluminum add rod ends and go ...."thumbsup"

LAY80N 01-09-2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purptr8r (Post 5107711)
build a jig ....:flipoff:............couple pieces of flat aluminum from the harware store about 14 inches long by 3 or 4 inches tall per side ...drill a hole in one end of each and a slot in the other end of the other..one side of the slot is 12 inches from the hole the other end of the slot is 12.5 you can bolt your axles in the holes at your desired wheel base then lay another piece of flat stock across the 2 and rest your chassis on that piece .....figure out your bias 50/50 or 60/40..........now you have the distances .you can them use metal coat hangers pipe cleaners brake line or thread all to make your bends ...when youre happy with that then you re create them out of ti or aluminum add rod ends and go ...."thumbsup"

This is exactly how i did my chassis setup when i did all the pre production testing on the joker. I will grab my measurements when i get a second. I used allthread and some old traxxas M3 ends for mock up, them made my links out of 3/16" aluminum tube for the uppers, solid rod for the lowers. This might be a bit weak for some, but my joker is barely over 3.1lbs and i dont tend to drive it like a wrecking ball. The joker chassis is set up and designed for a 55/45 bias too, if you try to get 60/40 or more the front links and drive shaft angle go crazy. Even 50/50 works good, but 55/45 is (IMHO) the optimal balance.

Purptr8r 01-09-2015 12:59 AM

ya ive since moved on to a store bought jig and a lathe and benders and chop saws and bulk orders or titanium but allthread is the best way to start and get the feel for it