Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Little N.A.'s (my son's) GC2 Axial 2.2 comp rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Little N.A.'s (my son's) GC2 Axial 2.2 comp rig

I have not updated a build thread for my son in almost a year. I figured that I needed to with him doing better and better at competitions. His mom and I gave him an aluminum GC2 chassis for his birthday back in December. At the time he had a GC1 TLT. I built up the GC2 TLT and he loved it.

The only problem was he drove it so much the RCP TLT CVD's were failing constantly with the heavy weighted beadlocks and large soft compound tires. So about four months ago I finally got wise and bought some Axials. With all the aftermarket parts and new options for the Axial, it was time. I can't say enough about how good the Axials have been over the TLT's. It's been four months and he still hasn't broken anything on the axles. It's neat for him to have come full circle now because an Axial was his first crawler kit. I had sold the Axial axles because at the time there was no aftermarket support and TLT's were the dominant axle .

Here is a link to his original Axial build thread:
My son's AX-10

Here is a link to his GC1 Axial build thread:
My son's GC1 AX-10

Then the GC1 TLT build thread:
My son's GC1 TLT

And here is the current crawler; a GC2 Axial

Here are the specs:
- Gate Keeper designs GC2 chassis with aluminum TVP plates (limited early production)

- custom 3S lipo battery tray

- Axial Transmission that has;
Axial slipper clutch,
Integy steel gear,
Crawler Design Works 6mm front output shaft for use with Maxx Shafts
DNA motor plate
91 tooth Robinson Racing spur
18 tooth Robinson Racing metal pinion

- Maxx drive shafts front and rear

- DNA dig w/ custom full size servo mount

- Axial axles with;
Front axle has:
RCP aluminum steering knuckles
RCP aluminum clockable C's
Axial heavy duty locker
Axial heavy duty gears (stock gear ratio in front) that have been properly shimmed,
Rear axle has;
Axial steel dog bones and stub axles
RCP aluminum lockouts
Axial steel straight axles
Axial heavy duty locker
Axial heavy duty low speed gears (eliminate torque twist) that have been properly shimmed
Both axle have full bearings
Traxxas receiver box to mount the ESC in bolted on rear axle,
custom aluminum front axle link plate and delrin rear axle plate,
aluminum hexes,

- Traxxas Big bore shock set w/ shock cap mod;
the front shocks have 10 weight oil and white Losi springs
the rear shocks have 20W oil with a white Losi spring

- Traxxas links, 5318 for uppers, 5319 for lowers, The rear lowers have been high clearanced, some of the Revo ends have been swapped for Jato ends to get the correct wheel base

- Create A Crawler "Sinner" bead locks, we have two sets of these bead locks and one set has white compound HB Rovers and the other set has Panther Cougars mounted

- Pro-Line bug body (although he has a new bug body waiting to be painted for the new comp season, and he needs to choose a color or paint scheme still)

- Mamba Max ESC
- CC BEC
- DX3R transmitter
- SR3001 receiver
- Hitec 5955TG steering servo
- Hitec 645MG dig servo
- Zippy 3S lipo
- Warrior 45 turn hand wound motor
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Here are some pictures of my son at the TXRCRCA State Finals back in June. He placed 9th out of 16 drivers in the 2.2 open class. We only run a Pro class in Texas so he has competed in the Pro class for the last two years.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Eye of the tiger!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

We went to visit family in California back in May. We brought our crawlers for the trip and while we were there we visited the Hobby Town in Concord every time the crawl spot was open. They have a great facility, great owner, and a great group of guys. We had so much fun hanging out, driving and we learned A LOT while we were there.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hey Eddie, your sons' rig is better than mine! Would you consider adopting a 29yo? This little guy looks 100% focused on what he is doing. Plus the rig looks very well dialed.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
Hey Eddie, your sons' rig is better than mine! Would you consider adopting a 29yo? This little guy looks 100% focused on what he is doing. Plus the rig looks very well dialed.
Thanks Spiros. One of the plastic carriers you gave us is in the rear axle of this crawler. I'm 32yo myself so adoption is out of the question
Old 07-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Nice looking rig.

Got any more close ups of the build?
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on the GC-2, looks like a really nice truck.

But I've gotta say Eddie your boy is one of the coolest kids I've seen in a long time. Seems like he has a great attitude, I remember you being bummed about your long drive home from state finals and he said something like "Don't worry dad we will just turn up the radio and jam the whole way home." His father must do a good job.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

lucky kid!!! my parents never bought me crawler parts!!! im 15 and 99.9% self sponsered! nice rig! looks like it would probaly crawl better than when i used my ax-10 for comps.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I am looking forward to seeing what He comes up with for the new body. Tell him Ian and I say hi. We really need to have a GTG.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Great looking GC2 ! Your son definatly has "The look" on his face while he's driving,total focus. It's hard to tell from the pics,what does your dig servo mount bolt to?
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Now thats what I call be'n in the zone.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Eye of the tiger!
Right on Joe, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosteve View Post
Nice looking rig.

Got any more close ups of the build?
I will have some more pictures later this week. One of the reasons I started this thread was because I have some nice updates coming for this crawler in order to have it better prepared for the '09 - '10 TXRCRCA East Texas Chapter comp season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Nice job on the GC-2, looks like a really nice truck.

But I've gotta say Eddie your boy is one of the coolest kids I've seen in a long time. Seems like he has a great attitude, I remember you being bummed about your long drive home from state finals and he said something like "Don't worry dad we will just turn up the radio and jam the whole way home." His father must do a good job.
I really appreciate that Shelby, thank you. His mom and I try our best but it is tough work being an involved parent. I came from a broken family with a lot of drama growing up and I am having to learn how to be a good husband and dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
lucky kid!!! my parents never bought me crawler parts!!! im 15 and 99.9% self sponsered! nice rig! looks like it would probaly crawl better than when i used my ax-10 for comps.
My parents never bought me anything either. I had a paper route and did yard work in order to afford my gold tub RC10 way back in the day. It built character in me. As for my son, it has taken nearly two years to get a crawler of this quality. If he didn't show such an interest and promise in competing, his mom and I would have stopped investing money into his crawler and new controller. My son does help though and contributes money when he can. He has done small yard jobs and he also gets money from his grandparents. A few people in our club as well as forum members here on RCC have blessed him with parts as well. Some were sold to us deeply discounted and others were given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I am looking forward to seeing what He comes up with for the new body. Tell him Ian and I say hi. We really need to have a GTG.
He is very simple like his mom. He wants to paint the bug body that he won at the State Finals either orange (again ), black or maybe red he tells me. I wonder why he likes orange so much. We do need to have a GTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
Great looking GC2 ! Your son definatly has "The look" on his face while he's driving,total focus. It's hard to tell from the pics,what does your dig servo mount bolt to?
Thanks Dave! I read your GC2 build thread several times to help with this. The GC2 Axial is awesome. The link placement that is allowed with a GC2 Axial flat out works! Austin makes a great chassis, no doubt about it.

Since this is an aluminum GC2, I have the dig mount bolted directly to the side plate. I am looking to upgrade the dig. I want something more lite weight, for a lower center gravity and something that can truly use a micro servo.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Nice pics man!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nice pics man!
Thanks man. The State Final pics are all courtesy of BOWTIE, Comp Pro Crawlers and Mrs. BOWTIE so a big thank you to them.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
We went to visit family in California back in May. We brought our crawlers for the trip and while we were there we visited the Hobby Town in Concord every time the crawl spot was open. They have a great facility, great owner, and a great group of guys. We had so much fun hanging out, driving and we learned A LOT while we were there.

How steep is that???
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Great thread Eddie it's so nice to have something you can both share the rework of the GC2 looks very good. Keep on trucking.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

thats a really nice setup you got
ontherocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #19
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by special agent View Post
How steep is that???
I know it was over 60 degrees but I don't remember exactly what it was. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Great thread Eddie it's so nice to have something you can both share the rework of the GC2 looks very good. Keep on trucking.
Thank you Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks88 View Post
thats a really nice setup you got
Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

This is a big update for my sons crawler. For the most part this crawler had been unchanged since December and the wiring had not been changed for over a year. A new Tekin FXR arrived today so it was time to make some needed changes.

I removed the Mamba Max and Traxxas receiver box from the rear axle. I made a small plastic tray that is mounted to the rear axle upper link plate. I programmed the FXR with the Hot Wire first and then soldered it into place. Since I have the ESC mounted on the rear axle and the battery on the front, I ran a 12 gauge wire between the motor and transmission just above the skid to connect them.

While I had I the opportunity it was time to address the BEC and receiver mount which was aluminum and mounted to the DNA dig. I mounted the BEC on the rear tray and cut a small plastic tray to mount the receiver only. The plastic tray weighs almost nothing compared to the aluminum tray it replaced. I did away with the old antenna mast and mounted the antenna into fuel tubing and tied it inside the top of the chassis.

It was also time to install new links and replace the steel Traxxas links that were showing 8 months of wear. I made new front straight links out of 5/16 delrin rod. I bought Crawler Design Works delrin low clearance links for the rear.