Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ax10 scorpion questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ax10 scorpion questions

I'm building a ax10 scorpion. For me and my son we have a dingo and a deadbolt scx10 currently. We wanted something that would go to places the scx10 won't. I need a servo for it will the Holmes hobbies servo I'm using in both of my scx10s be enough? Also Is 55t brushed motor a good place to start as well?
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: ax10 scorpion questions

Never used the servo, so can't help there. I'm mostly a new guy myself.

If you have the 55t motor already, then it's a great place to start. Get it running and drive the wheels off....

If you're buying the motor, I wouldn't.

I had a 55t, buddy had a 35t. His rig performed so much better.

Then I bought a Holmes 13t and he was the jealous one.

I'd suggest a lower turn count if money allows. Wheel speed is very handy for popping up onto obstacles, and recovering the rig when it gets upside down.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That's great news I just ordered some hh13t's for the scx10's I will go that route. OK so I know metal gear servo robotronics or axial servo horn but, how much torque for the servo? Also what spur gear and pinnion are you running I will be using 2s only on this do to size of the packs I've got.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Depends, kinda, on which HH servo you have.. Blue or charcoal gray?
The new gray one's are 472oz at 7.4v.. A Hitec 7950 is 476oz at 7.4v.
The gray HH is 572oz at 8.4v.. So yes, it's more then enough for your application..
I actually replaced my 7980's(611oz) in my sporty and pro rigs, with the HH servo's.. The thing that makes me happiest, is the extra speed gained from the HH servo..

As for a motor.. I think Mr. Crackhead answered that perfectly..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hitec 7950TH seems to be real popular in our club.

Friend of mine ran the Hitec 7945TH, which has less torque but more speed.

He likes the added speed for wiggling the wheels to get out of tight spots. To each their own, you know.

I run the Futaba BLS 172SV which is high in both categories, and like it very much. Kinda spendy, though (guess all above are, really).

If you're not familiar with servo city, check it out, not sure if they have the best prices; but they have a very nice list you can compare servos easily.

I'm running a 16/93 combo right now, but 3s batts.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
I'm building a ax10 Scorpion for me and my son.
Kewl! When I comp'd, I ran a Scorpion.

Quote:
I need a servo for it will the Holmes hobbies servo I'm using in both of my scx10s be enough?
If paired up with an external BEC, absolutely.

(Same Scorp as above, as it sits now)

Even with the XR mod, that servo will be fine.

Quote:
Also Is 55t brushed motor a good place to start as well?
No. When I started comp'ing, I had the 55 turn and the stock 14/87 gearing in it. If I flipped over, I was done. Wouldn't generate enough wheel speed to do the whole fwd-bckwd-fwd-bckwd, rock it 'til it flipped itself back over. Also, on a long, not overly grippy uphill (ramp), if the tires got dusty, the rig would slide backwards down the incline. And as mentioned above, sometimes ya just need a li'l pop to get you up on something. Tried changing to a bigger pinion, didn't seem to deliver much speed, and felt doggy and powerless.
Went back to 14/87 with a Brood Apocalypse 35 turn, skewed armature, and 3S LiPo, Spectacular.
I think you'll be much happier with a 35 turn handwound. I have both Brood and Holmes, can't really go wrong with either one, tbh.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Give AHZ and Answer horns a look.. I like them better..
The axial is short (IMO) and the silliness don't run the whole way thru the robitroniks horns..
AHZ is clamping and the Answer horn is non clamping and really nice. It also sits all the way on the output shaft..

For gearing, it depends on if ur running 48p or 32p..
87/15(which is just about identical to crackhead) or 56/10(Real close as well)..

These gearing options will give you rim to hear up a tooth and down a tooth, depending on what you like.. It will also keep you from leaping the rig off a cliff like a rocket! Lol
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the input. OK so I have been reading the post and some say Locked front axle some say unlocked. If u put planetary gear set from a kyosho blizzard in with 500,000 dif fluid would that give me best of both worlds?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

No.. You want a Fully locked drive train on a crawler..
HH makes spools as well.. Or run the stock ones till they break..
Open diff is for a exo or for some yeti's..
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Is there a basic chassis set up stickey I'm missing. My used ax10 can in the mail this week I put it together and it's flat and low to the ground. The front wheels climb awesome but, idk something isn't right. My kiddos dingo is out crawling this thing. Im thinking the stock chassis is not so hot. Any help would be awesome.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Try some different shocks or springs. And try a scx10 skid. Also get a battery on axle plate. Mount all of your electronics up front and as low as possible. Flip and mirror your trans. Also use an scx10 4 link mount and put in on the rear axle. Low cg, less torque twist, and better weight placement equals a better performing rig.
minicrawlerguy530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Oh and i have a holmes servo. It works good. I had it in my almost 10 pound 1.9 wraith and broke a gear jumping. Got a replacement sent out to me and ran it in my ax10 for 20min before the same gear broke. I think i just have a rotten apple, but it seems like a good servo.
minicrawlerguy530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The servo is nice! The search for gears that handle the torque isn't a easy one..
Just curious.. Which set of gears did you get?
All steel and a black output gear? Or was the output gear shiny?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

If you have the oldest style Scorpion chassis with the overly long shocks it is a dog and there is not much you can get out of it. One of the best things you can do is get a decent chassis for the axles with shocks the right length to give you the ride height you want and then tune them with oil weights and spring weights to get them acting the way you like. The "classic" style AX10 comp crawler set up is flat with no more than a wheel height of articulation. Newer set ups are more like 2.2 Pro (MOA) in terms of clearance and articulation.

Don't overlook tire/foam choice and wheel size and offset. The supplied Rock Lizards are useless and the wheels are much too wide. The best profile for serious crawling is tall and narrow with compliant 2 stage foams. 5.5" tires and 1" wide rims. Adjustable offset is important.

Modding the AX10/SCX10 style axle is another important step in getting the Scorp to crawl right. Either use VP Zero Ackerman AX10 knuckles on the stock axle or put on Beefy/Burly tubes with splines and use VP Wraith knuckles and C Hubs. The extra track width and the ability to use XR10 universals will permit the increased steering angle to be put to use without shock/link rub. A properly built front axle will have as much steering angle as anything out there comping and that is what gets you onto the rocks.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Ok can you recommend an average or better than average chassis you would recommend. I may never be in a comp but would love to just because of where we live. I have it set up with metal 4 link front and rear with bent links I mirrored the transmission but the flipping part I may not of done. I've got white dot Rover tires with ci foams. 27 turn axial motor with 13t pinnion. It got overdrive front gears. The shocks that it came with I've never seen in all my years of rc. They are gray aluminum with a screw that you loosen to slide up and down the shock body to adjust there big bore. I. Think. They maybe my problem. I've got the ride hight set according to the factory hight. I need a battery for the front axle what would yall reccomed?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

There are a number of chassis makers here on the forum. I don't have the cash to check them out though so me recommending one over the other would be silly. I've built several MOA chassis and eventually I'll make a Shafty chassis to get that out of my system. If you were to purchase a Star you could see the For Sale section and troll for a used chassis. I've gotten to handle and stare at a rather nice Carbon Fiber chassis a friend purchased and assembled for a Shelf Queen AX10 build. I think the chassis and links costs more than I've got in my whole rig. I am running an antique VP Comp Chassis and Wraith shocks with internal springs and Losi Mini T springs to limit travel. Traxxas Big Bore shocks are popular for crawlers, but I've gotten a lot of use out of cheap plastic Wraith shocks off eBay. You can find them for about $20 per 4.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'm looking in changing out the shocks. I'll give the wraith shocks a look. I've got the old original chassis. Some one at the local hobby store said the swx chassis is an upgrade from what I've got. I been keeping an eye out. This rc is a budget build. I'm into this build 100 so far it not to bad. My goal is to build a rig that will out proforms my scx10
Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Mountain, thanks for the tip on using wraith shocks after some mild tuning and changing to the sw3 chassis I'm getting much better performance. Also you save me a few bucks!

ax10 scorpion questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ax10 Scorpion questions treeafodo Newbie General 5 05-23-2008 07:00 AM
Noob with questions about Scorpion Slickrock450 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 17 08-31-2007 07:10 PM
Axial Scorpion AX10 Axle Give-A-Way **Free AX10 Axles*** Rockpiledriver Axial AX-10 Scorpion 297 08-27-2007 06:15 AM
Axial AX10 Scorpion Rock Crawler Questions was up24 Newbie General 5 08-18-2007 05:58 PM
axile scorpion questions destroyer247 Newbie General 7 07-03-2007 02:08 PM