Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Crawl's" Sucker Punch to a full on Boxer" build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #61
Fifth dimension

Default Re: Crawl's" Sucker Punch to a full on Boxer" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassiCutCustoms View Post
No worries...... I have a keeper anyways! Teachers just don't get paid that well, right JSlick?

Too funny. Her sister is almost a twin.....except upstairs. Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #62
RCC Addict

I am glad to hear you chose wisely!! Lol. She is a jewel!
ClassiCutCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #63
Fifth dimension

Quote:
I am glad to hear you chose wisely!! Lol. She is a jewel!

Thanks bro. It's a very "'small world" sort of thing. My grandmother and her mom were great friends. Then 25 years goes by and I'm an operator in a bindery. Liz was starting what is now our cleaning business. A fellow operator, and poor gambler, said " buy ya lunch next week if you can get a date with the cleaning lady". Silly man. I ate like a king;)

Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Dang...... That's a funny story!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #65
Fifth dimension

I really liked the shape of my last body so I'm gonna emulate it on this lid. Time to get started

Old 05-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #66
RCC Addict

You really need a pedicure! Lol
Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #67
Fifth dimension

Quote:
You really need a pedicure! Lol

Just got one! I need my house shoes, the air is on already

Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post

.5 ounce per side is all a 3lb rig needs
I keep debating this thought... Flow with me here..

Mine was just over 3lbs and no knuck weight, when I ran the first comp at Rausch with it. No ill effects, I found..

Then I added my cut down, Dlux base weights.. Performance up'd, considerably..

Then I got to World's and was adding weight between course's, for the first 3 course's..

(Kinda wouldn't of minded to see the difference on course, if I had the weight from the get go)

So I lay my thoughts on: If one was to drop knuck weight, they would have to drop at least the same amount off the rear.
If you ran a Dlux or BMRC base weight, they are around 2.2oz per side.
Now your running 0.5oz per side.

So with my thinking behind it, you would have had to drop 3oz off the rear?
Maybe I'm off my rocker? ;)

I guess, in short, maybe just have weight with you, incase it's needed?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Troy,

I don't know yet..... Still trying things here. Yes with zero KW it balances off the front of the skid. With zero KW it doesn't side hill as well with 1/2oz per side.

Yes he did loose weight in the rear too......just over 1.5oz and this truck is 10oz lighter than the previous one with the 2.5 per side. I don't know what the perfect setup is yet....... Just trying things out. I did take it to my local guru and he was just drooling over how it performs with zero KW and said to just add little amounts until it felt right. So that's the plan.......
Old 05-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #70
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I keep debating this thought... Flow with me here..

Mine was just over 3lbs and no knuck weight, when I ran the first comp at Rausch with it. No ill effects, I found..

Then I added my cut down, Dlux base weights.. Performance up'd, considerably..

Then I got to World's and was adding weight between course's, for the first 3 course's..

(Kinda wouldn't of minded to see the difference on course, if I had the weight from the get go)

So I lay my thoughts on: If one was to drop knuck weight, they would have to drop at least the same amount off the rear.
If you ran a Dlux or BMRC base weight, they are around 2.2oz per side.
Now your running 0.5oz per side.

So with my thinking behind it, you would have had to drop 3oz off the rear?
Maybe I'm off my rocker? ;)

I guess, in short, maybe just have weight with you, incase it's needed?

Why would you 'have' to drop weight off the rear? Just curious on your thinking or if its just simply to keep the bias or overall weight.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Why would you 'have' to drop weight off the rear? Just curious on your thinking or if its just simply to keep the bias or overall weight.
Probably weight bias..... But I think weight off the rear has a similar affect as weight on the front ....... But more dramatic in some ways.. Yes they are different..... But think about it. It is part of the overall package.

Also keep in mind we crawl locally on slippery polished river rock. Sometimes the less weight we have to drag up a hill the better. What works on sticky knarly rock in RI doesn't work the same in TN river slippery snot rocks. There is nothing wrong with adjusting for the current rock or challenges

Last edited by ClassiCutCustoms; 05-08-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #72
RCC Addict

Sorry..... Just realized I said it backwards.... Edited the above post
Old 05-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #73
Fifth dimension

If we all go back in the tread, there are a couple of posts that touch on how silly light this rear is. Barry would have to post the actual weight but it's considerable. Barry and I also go back n forth on KW. I'll take her out on the first run as is. I will have weights for sporty and pro with me at all times. My sponsors, the senior members of the forum and even what appears to be comin sense tell me all sorts of different outlooks on weight. Bottom line is simple: I've always used weight. When both my trucks were about 3.3-3.5, an ounce to an ounce and a half was working good ( per side ). One thing I won't do is run a particular amount because someone " says" it's right. Practice day for all trucks is Monday or Tuesday. Just to get a ball park. I'm heading to bama early to see what works there. I'll add or subtract as the truck " feels" to me. I grew up on the dlux way of thought. 6oz per side type driving. It didn't work well for me. If this, the polar opposite doesn't grab and pull lines, some weight WILL go back on. I really think CCC needs to hop in here on some actual numbers. I'm rushing to get my shit together for Wednesday morning.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Troy,

I don't know yet..... Still trying things here. Yes with zero KW it balances off the front of the skid. With zero KW it doesn't side hill as well with 1/2oz per side.

Yes he did loose weight in the rear too......just over 1.5oz and this truck is 10oz lighter than the previous one with the 2.5 per side. I don't know what the perfect setup is yet....... Just trying things out. I did take it to my local guru and he was just drooling over how it performs with zero KW and said to just add little amounts until it felt right. So that's the plan.......
Yeah, mine ran without knuck weight.. Believe I have video of that comp..

With the right setup, it's do able..

ECC might be easy on it, as it's mono, round, and rolly rock..

Mostly was just my thoughts on it, as that's where I started. The added weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Simply for bias and balance..

Skinny her up in the middle, proportion her out correctly in the front and the rear! ;)
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #75
RCC Addict

David,

I have been hesitant to throw out numbers...... Because I have been told that numbers lie! I also hate to voice opinion because we all have them and to each their own. My thinking is this....... We will never change if we keep doing things the same way. I throw everything out the window and try things based on what seems common sense to me. I will leave it up to the end user to adjust to fit them. I do hate it when people don't give consideration to new ideas. Anyone want to go back three years to SLWs with slugs in the front wheels? Lol
Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #76
Fifth dimension

Another thing ( for Troy and Barry ) is my intention to run voodovers at ECC on the sporty. They are the heaviest custom tire out there. I'm switching to ultra narrow voodoos on the pro ( hope they get here today ) and running the voodovers on the sporty. Here's something we all need to ponder. The truck weighs in 2's as a slider. With all that tire weight on the corners, it's going to be very interesting to see how she pulls. Any back n forth on this topic is appreciated. However if I'm slow to respond it's because I have 13 days of work to get done in five days. Also I believe the only person on the forum that has a truck as light as this one would be egresser. He runs no weight

Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #77
Fifth dimension

Quote:
David,

I have been hesitant to throw out numbers...... Because I have been told that numbers lie! I also hate to voice opinion because we all have them and to each their own. My thinking is this....... We will never change if we keep doing things the same way. I throw everything out the window and try things based on what seems common sense to me. I will leave it up to the end user to adjust to fit them. I do hate it when people don't give consideration to new ideas. Anyone want to go back three years to SLWs with slugs in the front wheels? Lol

I'm with you! I'm enjoying these new challenges. My only point is that to say what I'm running in stone right now would be silly bro. We just don't know what's gonna put me on the protium at ECC other than my running Troy off the road...... Lol

Old 05-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #78
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Sorry..... Just realized I said it backwards.... Edited the above post

Kind of thought that lol .... makes sense what your saying. I know about snot rock, we have it in CT and MA and we have nasty stuff like what you saw at Worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
If we all go back in the tread, there are a couple of posts that touch on how silly light this rear is. Barry would have to post the actual weight but it's considerable. Barry and I also go back n forth on KW. I'll take her out on the first run as is. I will have weights for sporty and pro with me at all times. My sponsors, the senior members of the forum and even what appears to be comin sense tell me all sorts of different outlooks on weight. Bottom line is simple: I've always used weight. When both my trucks were about 3.3-3.5, an ounce to an ounce and a half was working good ( per side ). One thing I won't do is run a particular amount because someone " says" it's right. Practice day for all trucks is Monday or Tuesday. Just to get a ball park. I'm heading to bama early to see what works there. I'll add or subtract as the truck " feels" to me. I grew up on the dlux way of thought. 6oz per side type driving. It didn't work well for me. If this, the polar opposite doesn't grab and pull lines, some weight WILL go back on. I really think CCC needs to hop in here on some actual numbers. I'm rushing to get my shit together for Wednesday morning.

Everyone has their own style for sure. You do what you feel the ring needs for your driving. Im with ya on the 'run what everyone else is' thing. Doesn't happen for me but I tune differently then many here. Find the bias I want then work my links and shocks - something you don't hear enough people spending time with.

Good luck in 'Bama

Last edited by Robbob; 05-08-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #79
Fifth dimension

I'm not arguing with Troy or Barry. Both know more than I in my opinion. I just know that I seem to take rigs that people poke fun at and get them to defy gravity at times. That's due to practice and tuning.....mostly with weight. But this shit of 4,5,6 ounces per side.....um.....no

Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Robbob,

Trust me..... There has been much thought in the bias, links and shocks. I tune out TT before I look at adding KW. Just makes sense to me.

I hope he enjoys this truck...... And it works well for him. I have enjoyed coming up with new ideas and the freshness has been invigorating!

Crawl's" Sucker Punch to a full on Boxer" build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter Build #2 "Project Full Metal Jacket" Kylar 1.5 Scale Rigs 5 01-29-2015 10:42 AM
U4RC 2.2 Comp Racer "Sucker Punch" Dirt51 Axial Wraith 70 08-02-2014 02:07 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10 - Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Full Video Spidernad Scale Videos! 4 11-12-2012 11:23 AM