Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir tries to build something Sporty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 03:09 AM   #1
DravTech

Default Dravpnir tries to build something Sporty

Most of these parts were ment to become a FoFF project, but as I happen to sell my sporty I will make a new sporty out of the parts instead and use it for FoFF during the winter after putting on a brushless motor, paddle tires and another body.

I am focusing to make it ready for the Nordics, so sorry for not being a "true" build thread, but more a collection of pictures of the finished parts.

Here is the only picture I got atm, showing the front axle.

Plastic AR60 axles with over drive gear.

Dlux front sporty truss with DravTech electronic plate. I am also using the RCBros servo post which happens to work fantastic with the Dlux front sporty truss

Link/shock mounts are from SMW

The shafts is wraith shafts that I have put on OFNA outers on from some old broken Berg shafts. I did this to be able to use the brass Dlux OFNA knuckles that was laying in my spare box.

The steering link was also something I found in my spare box, but it was a bit short so that is why I used the Jato rod ends on it.

Total front width with Narrowed Voodoo's will be about 10.75"

To be continued...
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dravpnir tries to build something Sporty

Well it's a start.
What other goodies do you have waiting ?
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'll be watching this build, I plan on using my U4 wraith as a donor rig to build a sporty for nats.. what chassis are you going with?
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Well it's a start.
What other goodies do you have waiting ?
I have all the parts at home and most is just bolt on parts I am sorry to say.
I have matching rear axle with Dlux rear sporty truss and SMW mounts. The transmission will be a standard axial one, but with a 32 dp traxxas spur gear. I am working on the old NCD transmission, but I will not receive any parts before Nordics, so I decided to stick with my old transmission. I will use the SDI shafts, Dlux Ti links and delrin sliders, big bores (unlathed... ), the DravTech Tri-Blade CF wheels, narrowed silver Voodoo's from Purptr8r and CI foams.

Last night I started to mount the electronics and manged to fit them where I wanted. I am using a big Sidewinder3 as esc, so it took some tought where to place it. I am glad to report that all electronics and battery will be mounted on the front axle

I found a unused 16T HH 454 Puller in my spare box that I want to try on this rig. If that motor aint up for the job, I have a standard 540 can with a Brood handwound 30T HHK armature that are standing by. If the old Puller do work it would be nice as it only weight about 110 g. Also with the 32dp spur gear I can gear down quite low as the smallest 32dp pinion is 6T.

My goal is to finish this rig on tuesday and hopefully give it a test run then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
I'll be watching this build, I plan on using my U4 wraith as a donor rig to build a sporty for nats.. what chassis are you going with?
The SuDuOne FL of course
Old 05-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
DravTech

A matching rear axle to the front axle

Plastic AR60 axles with under drive gear and a little bit of bling with VP lockouts.

Dlux rear sporty truss

Link/shock mounts are from SMW

The wheel hubs are some discontinued RC4WD hubs for stamped wheels. The hubs are very narrow and the rear width with ultra narrowed Voodoo's is 10.25"

The rear shocks are using the Dlux spring cups to give a bit less preload compared to the front shocks that are using the RCBros spring cups.

Normal Axial transmission (I might get the prototype DravTech version of the old NCD transmission before Nordics ) with some Ti shafts, and RRP gears and Traxxas 32 dp spur gear. Motor is a 16T HH Cobalt 454 Puller and all is mounted in the DravTech SuDuOne FL chassis.

The Tri-Blade Cyclone Wheels with Voodoo's
(need to shorten off those rear shafts...)

The battery will be mounted on the front axle. The battery mount is something I fab together quite quickly from a L shaped plastic piece but turned out quite great.

The battery is fastened with the 2 o-rings

The electronic tray on the front axle got quite loaded with all the electronics. Especially as I am going to use a Sidewinder 3 Esc.

I switched to the Dlux stainless 0-offset hubs in the front, so the width got a bit wider to 11".

The SuDuOne FL chassis was built together Hittman style having the rear shock arms on the outside of the chassis.

Ride height

Using no limiters in the shocks still gives quite decent flex.

Useable steering at the steering stops I mounted on the Dlux knuckles.

And some pictures of the body with the sweet Krawler Koncept skin

Left to do...

* Fasten the drive shafts (have ordered a new 1.5 mm hex driver as my old was getting worn)
* Make a Ti drag link
* Mount the rear body mount and make hole in the body
* Make sure that the diff gears are turned the right way
* Glue the tires to the wheels
* Trim the body a bit
* Test drive

Last edited by Dravpnir; 05-19-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'd have to agree with your comments earlier when we were talking...the blue VP lockouts look killer, but you need the matching c-hubs up front. Either way, the new rig looks killer!
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

Nice build. I like the battery tray, will plagiarize.
Got a couple questions...What does it weigh? And is there a reason you are running the rear diff on opposite side from the front?
Pfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakrie View Post
Good job guys !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
I'd have to agree with your comments earlier when we were talking...the blue VP lockouts look killer, but you need the matching c-hubs up front. Either way, the new rig looks killer!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
Got a couple questions...What does it weigh? And is there a reason you are running the rear diff on opposite side from the front?
No idea about the weight. I can weight it on tuesday when I will go down to the hobby room next time.

First I had the rear diff on the same side as the front, but then the drive shaft hit the lower links, so I changed side to give the shaft more clearence.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

seksi as ####! Will throw some cash your way I think when I start my sporty ar60 build. More research to do. Really looks great.
Morbid Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:49 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Very nice "thrown together" rig Tobias. You are gonna love that chassis setup like that. Cant wait to see how you do with it at Nordics
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 AM   #11
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL METAL JEEP View Post
seksi as ####! Will throw some cash your way I think when I start my sporty ar60 build. More research to do. Really looks great.
I have put on my catching glove, so I am ready to catch some cash when you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Very nice "thrown together" rig Tobias. You are gonna love that chassis setup like that. Cant wait to see how you do with it at Nordics
Thanks

If I only practiced a tenth of the time I build/design things I would be a serious threat. Luckily for my opponents this aint the case. I enjoy the construction parts more than driving tbh...
I haven't driven much this year at all I am sorry to say, so I am just there to have fun, meet some awesome people and whatever placing I get do not matter much. Hopefully I will get time to do some more training to EuroCrawl.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
The RTR weight with a 450 mAh 3s lipo will be around 1720 g. That is with Dlux brass knuckles that weights 90 g each compared to VP wraith knuckle that weights around 15 g.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well i really hope mine will be a Dutch twin brother in the next few months ;)
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
DravTech

Managed to get 17th place out of 28 drivers during the sporty competition at EuroCrawl. Very good placing for me

The rig felt very stable and predictable to drive so I just need more training driving it.

I really like how the mini and my 2.2 Berg behaves with all their added weight at the front and rear, so I have ordered some aluminum Dlux knuckles and his brass weight holders to see if that works as good on the sporty too. Right now I have a pair of brass Dlux knuckles and only 2 tungsten slugs in my prototype rear weight holders.

The holders need some slight adjustment but worked really good during the competition.

I forgot to take any pictures and I haven't found any pictures on my sporty from anyone else so here is some table top pictures of it

Only big changes from Nordics earlier this year is the SuDu TransOne transmission.

When the Brood Nexus didn't work any good in my 2.2 Berg I hoped that they would work in the sporty, but no... So right now I got a motor a build with left over parts. Old 4 magnet can, some Brood purple springs and brushes and a 30T HHK Brood Armature. This motor is nice and smooth, but lack some power when the tires get hanged up.

So instead of waiting if EddieO ever find a solution for the Nexus motors and not wasting any more money trying to get it fixed I will probably buy a Holmes Hobbies 400 Puller instead and leave the Nexus as a shelf queen. I got to try some rigs with the Puller 400 motors and I really like how they behaved
Old 12-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Awesome looking build!!! You can't go wrong with the Puller 400 motors. I run the 13t Puller 400 with xx wire fill in my sporty and it is a little powerhouse!!
blandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Agreed Tobias, I got tried waiting on EddieO to come up with a fix to the Brood Nexus motors as well, So just ordered the same motors you are talking about. Them new motors should go well with the new chassis
Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Agreed Tobias, I got tried waiting on EddieO to come up with a fix to the Brood Nexus motors as well, So just ordered the same motors you are talking about. Them new motors should go well with the new chassis
As I told your brother, I have fixes for the problems some have experienced......I can't fix what I do not have in my possession...In fact, I have yet to have a motor returned to me to add the new parts...spam email was sent to everyone....ZERO response save two guys telling me they had no issues with theirs...

I did my best building the motors....I am a small company doing what I can as money allows. As with other motors, sometimes stuff happens that I can't predict or test for....crawler motors are stuck in a crazy setting being put through harsh running, some times stuff rears its ugly face after the fact....case in point, if memory serves correct, your original pullers failed as well...John had some issues with the first batch of pullers as well, hence why it was refined over time....crap, John is still refining it....which is what us motor guys do.

As I have told your brother, get them to me....I can install the new stuff...I can't go to your house and do it.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I won't continue this on here for everyone to read I have Emailed you Eddie.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #19
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
As I told your brother, I have fixes for the problems some have experienced......I can't fix what I do not have in my possession...In fact, I have yet to have a motor returned to me to add the new parts...spam email was sent to everyone....ZERO response save two guys telling me they had no issues with theirs...

I did my best building the motors....I am a small company doing what I can as money allows. As with other motors, sometimes stuff happens that I can't predict or test for....crawler motors are stuck in a crazy setting being put through harsh running, some times stuff rears its ugly face after the fact....case in point, if memory serves correct, your original pullers failed as well...John had some issues with the first batch of pullers as well, hence why it was refined over time....crap, John is still refining it....which is what us motor guys do.

As I have told your brother, get them to me....I can install the new stuff...I can't go to your house and do it.

Later EddieO
I was in contact with you in mid June and then you told me that you were working on some solutions. I never received any email, so I guessed you were still working on the solution.

Great to here that you have some fixes, and as I mentioned to you on FB I will send in my motors to you.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

A 3D printed front axle battery mount world be cool. I would buy one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
austinc2099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dravpnir tries to build something Sporty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir tries to build something small, again... Dravpnir Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 106 01-09-2018 10:07 AM
Dravpnir tries to build something really small Dravpnir Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 03-11-2015 01:33 AM
Dravpnir tries to build something small Dravpnir Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 221 11-10-2014 02:28 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 88 08-03-2014 02:58 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something light Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 125 04-23-2014 06:01 AM