Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: which axles for sporty build? ax10 or ar60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default which axles for sporty build? ax10 or ar60

Looking on building a new sportsman rig but don't know which axles to use? I'm seeing more ar60 popping up
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: which axles for sporty build? ax10 or ar60

Either work fine. XR10 mod on the AX10 axles and you get decent steering and additional strength. AR60's you need to be careful with link configuration and which wheels you use.

I've been using AX10's on my SuckerPunch with no issues. I'm building a new SuckerPunch and I'll try the AR60's just for something different.

Price-wise, I think it's a wash. Axle extensions with AX10's and DLux trusses with AR60's.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It mostly depends on your personal preferences. The ar 60s are much wider than the ax10. You should be able to get the same amount of steering out of both so long as you do the xr mod on the ax10 axles. I personally prefer the the ax10 with xr mod. The ar60s are more stable when side hilling, but I find that they get caught on rocks more than the ax axles. what chassis are you using? If going to use the swx you should use the ax10 axles because I don't the suspension geometry will work out with ar 60s. There are other threads on this topic do a search.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

AX10 with XR10 mod, we built a couple ar60 sportys and just ended up shortening the axle cases. If you have the tooling todo that, then I say go for it. If not - Stick with ax10.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
5th D Owner/Driver

I've ran both and prefer the AR60's. With the Dlux trusses you just cant beat the servo placement and the upper link mount for adjustment and geometry. They are wider than the AX/XR axles but your also getting a one piece housing and easier access to the gears. They also keep your center of gravity nice and low, an added plus is the body can be slammed down with no interference. You will want to run flat face wheels to keep the width reasonable.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I really like the AR60 axles.
As said servo placement, 1 piece housing etc all make a nice package.

Personally I like them because there similar to a berg shape. The offset pumpkin and servo location. I found you don't really need to adjust driving to much when driving back to back. I've set mine so there identical to the berg. I don't ever worry about forgetting that it hang low on that side.
With a little bit of creative work you can get the rear a bit narrower then the front.
I have full width housings and I'm at the same width as my comp berg(front and rear) the rear hubs are modded and the front is using 350 hubs both with flat face rims
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
I've ran both and prefer the AR60's. With the Dlux trusses you just cant beat the servo placement and the upper link mount for adjustment and geometry. They are wider than the AX/XR axles but your also getting a one piece housing and easier access to the gears. They also keep your center of gravity nice and low, an added plus is the body can be slammed down with no interference. You will want to run flat face wheels to keep the width reasonable.
Did you shorten your tubes or just run flat face to keep width?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Did you shorten your tubes or just run flat face to keep width?
Flat face wheels, no shortening, front is 10.75" wide. I also run the Dlux narrow version of his knuckles to get it at that width, the standard width Dlux or stock Wraith stuff puts it at 11" wide.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote

which axles for sporty build? ax10 or ar60 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2 Sporty - AR60 Axles brazwewn Axial AX-10 Scorpion 66 04-07-2014 11:01 AM
Isyeskeert's AR60 Lightweight Sporty Build isyeskeert Axial AX10 2nd-gen 113 05-16-2013 09:27 PM