Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Solitaire's 2nd SuckerPunch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Solitaire's 2nd SuckerPunch

I've been running an original SuckerPunch for a couple of seasons now on AX10 axles with CreationFab extensions and XR mod. Truck has worked well and has never given me any grief.

When Chris and Dan took over 5th Dimension, they offered various colors and an improved chassis and skid. I saw the red one and had to have it.

So, another build is underway. This time I thought I'd try the AR60 axles mainly due to wanting to get the servo mounted lower and a bit more protected. I also have a Hulksta tranny I got for the first build, but never installed it.

So here's the obligatory parts list...

5th Dimension Chassis in red
AR60 axles
Brass Brute tubes for the front axle made by one of the guys in our club
Red VP knuckles (found a pair in China)
Locked Up's FI spool for the front
Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster spool for the rear
Holmes Puller 400 16T with large wire fill
Axial over/under diff gears
Axial universals shaved for more steering
Stock Axial rear axle shaft (Hopefully CreeperBob Ti soon)
Hulksta CF tranny with stock XR gears
DLux front and rear CF link mounts and servo rack
DLux 3/16" lower Ti links with Ti link sliders
Fifth Dimension 1/8" Ti upper links
Fifth Dimension 3/16" Ti tie rod
Savox 1283SG servo
Holmes BR mini/CCBEC smashed
SCX10 alum shocks w/DLux no-preload spring cups
Axial WB8 driveshafts shortened with inserts
Crawling Calvins steering arms
RCBros knuckle weight system
Lattice Innovations shift hubs
Rowdy Racing front battery mount
DIY Lexan electronics plate
Gunnar's body mounts
Gold VooDoo's on unknown CF wheels

More pics in a day or two.

Last edited by Solitaire; 11-14-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added components to list
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Solitaire's 2nd SuckerPunch

Great parts list you have going on there! Look forward to seeing the progress
blandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Wow he does actually know how to post a build thread! Nice parts list Bob. Can't wait to see this thing built and crawling some rocks!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandon View Post
Great parts list you have going on there! Look forward to seeing the progress
Thanks, it's been a fun build even with the AR60's which requires a bit more effort to make things work together. Luckily we have the vendors on RCC for all the necessary aftermarket parts for these trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Wow he does actually know how to post a build thread! Nice parts list Bob. Can't wait to see this thing built and crawling some rocks!
Thanks Randy. After building several trucks over the past few years, I figured it was time to add my views and thoughts. I know when I first built SuckerPunch #1, the collective threads from CBoggs, Addicted2RC and Boosted4lyf were my go to areas for crucial info.

Last edited by Solitaire; 09-07-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
5th D Owner/Driver

Going to be a good build, now you can slam the body down without having to worry about the servo in the way!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The easiest way to transform the AR60's for use on a shafty was to get some front and rear link mounts/servo rack from DLux. Super easy to assemble the goodies after I determined which spacers were threaded at the cross holes and which weren't. I think the front truss could be a tad higher, which I'll explain why later.

A lot of the parts have already been assembled and I didn't take all the pics I should have.

Front before mounting to chassis:

Front and rear after mounting to chassis:

Last edited by Solitaire; 09-07-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to seeing another comp build thread. I think I'd like to try a trans like the Hulksta's.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Custom Carbon Fiber

Got me interested with the AR axles ..... I know a lot have used them I just hear they are a weak link sometimes.

Keep posting ..........
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Bob

You'll have to dye your HAIR RED to match the frame

Last edited by Tom G; 09-08-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Got me interested with the AR axles ..... I know a lot have used them I just hear they are a weak link sometimes.

Keep posting ..........
Not sure how they are a weak link? I've been running mine for almost 2 years now and not one issue with them. I even run the axial uni's that I shaved for better steering!

They have been working great for me!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

looking good, i look forward to seeing more!

maybe i can learn a thing or 2 about making a build thread that doesnt suck! haha
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Going to be a good build, now you can slam the body down without having to worry about the servo in the way!
Yep, one of the other reasons to give the AR60's a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Looking forward to seeing another comp build thread. I think I'd like to try a trans like the Hulksta's.
Gonna be tough keeping up with you and Chris as far as providing info for the prospective SuckerPunchers.

I'll touch a bit on the Hulksta tranny in a day or two. Maybe you can persuade the 5D boys to come up with one of their own...maybe in G10. I've got a pretty good idea where they'll be at the end of the week

Quote:

Keep posting ..........
I think the issues with AR60's are on stockish Wraiths/Deadbolts that people bash with and don't do anything to beef up the cases. With these 4lb sportys and some sort of beef tube, I don't think there's an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
Looking good Bob

You'll have to dye your HAIR RED to match the frame
Thanks Tom. Dye my hair? ...which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
looking good, i look forward to seeing more!

maybe i can learn a thing or 2 about making a build thread that doesnt suck! haha
I've been watching your thread and it's all good. Lots of opinions and help here on RCC and it looks like you've got things handled. I spent a lot of time reading all the pertinent threads when I first started and picked up tidbits here and there to get my trucks to the point where I was happy with the results. I just wasn't comfortable doing a build thread at that time...so no worries.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
RCC Addict

As mentioned earlier, I wanted to get the servo out of harms way, plus I thing the horizontal action of the servo arm is ergonomically better and this setup lowers the COG. Plus as Chris mentioned you can get the body down lower.
This is where the servo sits on my present SuckerPunch...

Now, for all you Savox haters, I'm using the 1283SG for a couple of reasons. This particular one has been transplanted from my original shafty...UGC Fastback II which I ran for a couple of years, to my MOA Switch for a year and now to this truck. It may be a bit power hungry, but the CCBec has handled it with no issues. It also has an alum case so the ears don't break off and it's slightly shorter than most. I didn't want a lot of servo hanging below the front axle.

Here's how much of the servo that sticks out the bottom...

Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I said I would mention why I thought the front DLux link mount should be slightly higher and the issue was the servo arm hitting the upper link rod end on a left turn. The solution was to put a double bend downward in the servo arm. Right now it just clears the upper link rod end on a left swing as well as the bolt in the small cross brace holding down the link mount on a right swing.

Nothin' like a hammer and a vice for fine tuning.

I may have to shave the top of the forward CF upright on the link mount once the drag link is connected.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

great idea with the servo arm!

ive been trying to think of the best way to make the right side servo mount a bit beefier. That little grub screw makes me worry, the best think i can come up with so far is to cut the head off of an m3 screw and thread it into each end.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #16
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Now, for all you Savox haters, I'm using the 1283SG for a couple of reasons. This particular one has been transplanted from my original shafty...UGC Fastback II which I ran for a couple of years, to my MOA Switch for a year and now to this truck. It may be a bit power hungry, but the CCBec has handled it with no issues. It also has an alum case so the ears don't break off and it's slightly shorter than most. I didn't want a lot of servo hanging below the front axle.
Define power hungry?

Whats the torque on that servo?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
great idea with the servo arm!

ive been trying to think of the best way to make the right side servo mount a bit beefier. That little grub screw makes me worry, the best think i can come up with so far is to cut the head off of an m3 screw and thread it into each end.
My kit came with a hardened steel set screw about 3/4" long (an Axial part I believe). Not sure you could get anything stronger based on the design. We have others in the club using the DLux setup and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quote:
Define power hungry?

Whats the torque on that servo?
It appears, from reading other's posts, that a Savox (not necessarily this particular model) will cause a brownout faster than many other types of servos when an external BEC isn't being used. That tells me they may be drawing a bit more power than their competitors. I've also read that they might be slightly less efficient, however with a BEC this model hasn't given me any grief.

Advertised torque rating is 416 oz-in at 6v and .13 transit. I've run this one at 6.2v

Don't get me wrong...I'm not promoting Savox in any way. It's just a servo I've had on other trucks which has worked fine and until it dies, I'll keep on using it.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #18
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
It appears, from reading other's posts, that a Savox (not necessarily this particular model) will cause a brownout faster than many other types of servos when an external BEC isn't being used. That tells me they may be drawing a bit more power than their competitors. I've also read that they might be slightly less efficient, however with a BEC this model hasn't given me any grief.

Advertised torque rating is 416 oz-in at 6v and .13 transit. I've run this one at 6.2v

Don't get me wrong...I'm not promoting Savox in any way. It's just a servo I've had on other trucks which has worked fine and until it dies, I'll keep on using it.
Appreciate that - Im looking for a shorter servo for something so was curious. Never heard that about Savox but makes sense, I could see it.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

strange, mine came with a little grub screw that can only hang on by a few threads. Guess i got lucky
Old 09-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Well, I exaggerated a bit on the length as I was going by memory. It's likely around the 1/2" length as it has to sit between the down screw at the servo mount and the one at the axle case. I had to space the servo mounts back a couple of 3mm washer thicknesses to clear both holes.

Solitaire's 2nd SuckerPunch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DJ's 2.2s 5th D Suckerpunch d_j_stockton Axial AX10 2nd-gen 27 04-27-2015 11:47 AM
Samasara.....a Suckerpunch Sporty AddictedtoRC1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 151 02-19-2015 01:44 PM
BOOSTED's 5th D sporty build ~Suckerpunch Sally2~ rebuild pg11 boosted4lyf Axial AX-10 Scorpion 297 10-16-2013 04:35 PM
T3rry's 5th D SuckerPunch "evolution" thread T3rry Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 10-09-2013 08:34 PM