Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Sdi prop shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Sdi prop shafts

Search is giving me some issues on my phone tonight.

Been looking for info pertaining to sdi prop shafts and who's using them? I got a set I'm trying out on my class 3 rig and after about 20 mins it spit the pins out of the u joint. Actually found all pins etc with my magnet and all pushed back together. So what are yall using to keep the pins in...... ? Since if seems I can push all of them out with just a tip of a driver with ease.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Sdi prop shafts

Never used 'em, but I'm sure some shrinkwrap over the ends will hold the pins in.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Yea joints pretty small...... did that and throws the shrink wrap off just on the bench.

Might fire up the tig and put small "cap heads" on the small pin.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
E.Y. Designs

I use shrink wrap on mine and it works fine... Maybe try some lock tight on the part that goes over the pin so it won't come loose
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I haven't tried them on the Class3 but should be no different than on my sporty....
Same as everyone else said - Red locktight and some heat shrink. Job Done! No Issues!
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm having a similar issue with the pins at the moment. I actually contacted SDI and found that they had some machining differences batch-batch, which seems to be the cause of my problems. Otherwise, very happy with the shafts. They're precise, tight, light, small diameter, and the steel they are made from seems to be high quality.

Regardless, the pin issue needs sorted. I guess they are sending me a few replacement drive shafts, but I will still probably resort to using some actual metric music wire (1.5mm through the universal, 2mm for the slider's pin), which is generally 0.001-0.003mm larger than advertised, and red Loctite. DO NOT try to drive 0.062" music wire through them. It is about 0.08mm too tight and could very well break the large pin in the universal as you force it through. I have had mine disassembled, and there isn't room to spare or drill for larger pins. Yes, the tolerances are THAT tight.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
E.Y. Designs

I ended up cutting down a Gunnar hex pin to use in mine cause one of them got lost and it's working perfectly...
Old 10-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Which rig was that Gunnar pin for, a mini? Axial hex pins are roughly 2mm. The original SDI pin is 1.49mm as measured. Unless you had a LOT of wear on the SDI parts I can't see it fitting. You got me curious now.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
E.Y. Designs

Default Sdi prop shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Which rig was that Gunnar pin for, a mini? Axial hex pins are roughly 2mm. The original SDI pin is 1.49mm as measured. Unless you had a LOT of wear on the SDI parts I can't see it fitting. You got me curious now.

Don't remember honestly... Just some I'd had sitting here for a while but my parts weren't worn out and it fit perfectly
Old 10-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

This is all fyi........ I emailed Daniel before I posted here and this is the email I received back.......

Quote:

First of all thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

I spent all day testing the new parts of 2015 we just received about one month ago and comparing them with the few remaining parts from 2014 we still have and i found the problem.*

The problem is not the pin itself but the center black cube , that is the part that should get the pin in place cause of it's tight fit, I didn't realized this problem cause this year I ordered most of the joints already assembled, while previous years i was assembly them myself, and this problem is something I would realize while assembling as the pin fits in veeery easy when I hammer it down , so it's not weird it slips out on a run.

Fortunately I still have a bunch of 2014 center cubes that will work, with the new parts, i just need to disassembly the joints and replace the cube, in fact i already did a couple of these today and they fit very tight.

So now I need you to tell me your order numbers so I know exactly what you ordered and will sent you new joints already assembled this monday free of charge.

I would also ask you, if it is not a problem to you to send the loose joints to my address in the USA as I would probably be able to reuse them or maybe I might need them when i do the claim to the factory. Of course i will pay the shipping of those, I can refund you some money with paypal, just let me know how much was it.

thanks again.

Daniel
Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Like I said....... pins in the 8 sets I have are really easy to push out. Can get them all the way out with no tools.

Thanks for all information that was posted. Figured there may be something I missed.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Like I said....... pins in the 8 sets I have are really easy to push out. Can get them all the way out with no tools.

Thanks for all information that was posted. Figured there may be something I missed.
Yeah, every set I have the pin can be pushed out by hand. I did try some blue loctite today as that was what I had on-hand and didn't have a whole lot of luck. BTW, I too got the same email. I think I will take him up on his offer, send the joints from the shafts back, have him rebuild them with the new cubes, and hopefully get to enjoy the shafts soon.

Like I said before, other than the pins, I'm damned impressed for what they cost! Oh, and they could/should machine the flat on the stock shaft inline with the slider pin's hole so that the yoke are in-phase top and bottom. Glad I was paying attention when I cut them down. Beings I am using them in my Twin Hammers, the yokes being out of phase would have led to massive vibration at speed.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
E.Y. Designs

Hmm mine were from last year so I guess that explains it... I just ordered 2 sets for a friend though so I'll have to look at them when they get here...
Old 10-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I was talking to SDI via messenger on the facetube last night and just asked him to send the replacement cube pieces and a replacement large pin for the one that broke when one of the small pins came out. If you guys do have this issue and end up needing to get the replacement parts he will just send them if you are capable of assembling them. Not a difficult job, and will save the wait of sending your shafts to him to be rebuilt and then returned. Have your order number ready!

Additionally, he has noted the issue and all future orders will be shipped with the correct replacement parts.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:31 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I ordered a set this past week...
Just hope mine will be those sets that he was working on.
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #16

Hello everyone, this is Daniel from SDI4x4

last Friday we were aware of this problem, it's something that should not happen, it's related to a new production of parts made this year and that was available in our shop since september 15. So, if your order of prop shafts was placed before that date you are good.

I spent all day last Friday making tests to figure out what was wrong on the last production and i found about 80% of the parts have a wrong cube, the pins are ok but the cube is responsible to keep the pin in place by tight fit, well most of the new cubes have the hole for the small pin a little wider and that's why pins slip out.

fortunately we still have a bunch of 2014 cubes so the new shafts we selling from now on will be disassembled to remove the wrong cube and assembled again with a good one.

All of you guys with slippy pins please email me for replacement to the same address you received your order confirmation, please include your order number.

I'm so sorry for this inconvenience and i hope we can make it right for you.

thanks!

Daniel
DrKucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Hi DrKucho,
I profit that you are of passage here to make a remark about your shaft.
First, it is of excellent shaft, very solid and I am very satisfied on it.
The only problem in fact, it's the screws m3, I systematically replace them by of M4, it tighten the axis more effectively. But, it is a modification rather difficult to make because steel is very very hard… I think that would be beneficial that the shaft have of M4 of origin

Thanks for your excelent product !!

Last edited by TotoRax; 11-01-2015 at 12:59 PM.
TotoRax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Hey Daniel,

Also great product!!! also i would like to see a m4 version.. !!!
Also maybe a pin trough version... that would also be great to see...now i make the pin shorter so it goes trough the pinion shat also..
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Yep yep, got 16 cubes coming !!!

Thanks Daniel
Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 AM   #20

Hello again,

Thank you everybody for being so nice about this problem and helping to reassemble the joints in case you are capable etc... attitudes like that are what makes me love this hobby and my job !

Seems that some ppl is trying to contact me by email and it is not working? not sure what's wrong but seems that some emails get lost? i had some issues in the past when i was using own domain email and that's why i changed the address to a Gmail , but in any case, if i don't respond you in one or two days, please send me a private message on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SDI4x4

please don't private message me in RCC i don't check messages any often here.

thanks again!
DrKucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sdi prop shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help to size a prop Koldham Non Crawler RC's 3 08-25-2014 06:45 PM
Prop shaft options??? Highlucks Tamiya CR-01 3 08-19-2009 09:10 PM