Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Good turning radius? (Diameter?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Good turning radius? (Diameter?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Quote me when you do.
I don't get as many notifications thru Tapatalk anymore, like it use to.
That's what you get for running tapacrap.

I realize it's a limited market but a custom beef tube or custom C with scx 0* kpi and ar60 splines to fit the ar60 housings would kick ass and make better steering easier. I ground the splines off of a housing to fit the 0* C's and it sure would be nice if there was a better way to go about it.

I'm the only one in my group that doesn't run 8* C's and the other guys haven't caught onto why yet, I think I'll leave it at that for a while.

It's funny that you mention dlux, we've had some good conversations about this subject. He has some solid ideas and methods and they just work no doubt about it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
That's what you get for running tapacrap.

I realize it's a limited market but a custom beef tube or custom C with scx 0* kpi and ar60 splines to fit the ar60 housings would kick ass and make better steering easier. I ground the splines off of a housing to fit the 0* C's and it sure would be nice if there was a better way to go about it.

I'm the only one in my group that doesn't run 8* C's and the other guys haven't caught onto why yet, I think I'll leave it at that for a while.

It's funny that you mention dlux, we've had some good conversations about this subject. He has some solid ideas and methods and they just work no doubt about it.
I thought the new scx axles were splined? Maybe they are all 8° too?

I kinda stopped looking at the scx or even running mine, since I built My Troyota. I've had nothing but a Amazing time running the TF2!

Anywho.. your problem isn't the C's.. it's the fact that your running ar60's on a sporty! Baahahaha... But that's just my opinion..

Yeah, I love threads like this, but... Secrets come out and gives the competition insight into a good setup.. lol..

It would be nice to see Erik get into the sporty side.. specially with his knowledge, solid ideas and methods!
But he's "not happy without atleast 3 channels"... his words.. lol..
winnerone23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I thought the new scx axles were splined? Maybe they are all 8° too?

I kinda stopped looking at the scx or even running mine, since I built My Troyota. I've had nothing but a Amazing time running the TF2!

Anywho.. your problem isn't the C's.. it's the fact that your running ar60's on a sporty! Baahahaha... But that's just my opinion..

Yeah, I love threads like this, but... Secrets come out and gives the competition insight into a good setup.. lol..

It would be nice to see Erik get into the sporty side.. specially with his knowledge, solid ideas and methods!
But he's "not happy without atleast 3 channels"... his words.. lol..

The new scx axles are splined but they're different than ar60. The ar60's are just fine with the right parts, I'm the same width as most every other sporty. . My friends get updates on what I'm doing far more than I post on here. They think that there is no reason to do anything that isn't documented on here. I'm willing to try some weird crap that they think is silly.

I'm thinking Erik will be building another sporty in the near future. He'll have to use that 3rd channel to control the headlights or something, we all know how much he loves scalers.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
quote me.

Full lock has the outside tire turned as far as it can go which is just shy of 70* and it hits the stop

Straight ahead shows the amount of toe in.

Toe in is terrible for my driving style since I normally rely on the inside tire to hook on something. We don't have much smooth rock, it's mostly jagged crumbling stuff so you need to find a hold somewhere.

I just turned the tie rod out 2 turned so I'm at about 0* toe now. The outside still maxes but the inside turns a good bit further. That's one thing about 8* stuff though. My secondary rig still has ar60 C's, the same dlux truss, same servo arm and same type of knuckles and even the same steering stops and it maxes out and hits the stops on both sides in both directions, and the angle of the servo arm isn't maxed out in either direction. My hypothesis is the 8* KI angle eats up a bit of that steering input.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Zero toe worked beter for my driving style than toe in. No limited steering and the tires didn't eat the shocks so bad.

Got home and had to compare the 8* to the 0* KPI C hubs. I'm running probably 5* toe out on the 8* axle for reference. Both trusses are at the same angle and the C's are as well.

It's pretty obvious that the 8* doesn't turn as sharp as the 0*. It's close but not as much for sure. The servo arm also doesn't have to travel as far in its throw to get full lock and both drag links are the same 65mm center to center length so all things are as equal as they're going to get.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I run my rigs C's, around the 12°-15° area, for caster.
It's shown the most benefit, all around.

I just switched my setup around and I'm running under 5* caster not and I'm blown away by how the rig is working with just that simple change. I was running about 20* before and thought my junk could turn but apparently not.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I just switched my setup around and I'm running under 5* caster not and I'm blown away by how the rig is working with just that simple change. I was running about 20* before and thought my junk could turn but apparently not.

Lol.. Nice!!!
I like the lack of caster. Just enough and that's all that's needed.
winnerone23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Yea just enough put some kick in the tires on sharp corners. The ol turd is so much more capable today than it was Friday after I tweaked on this weekend. I probably wouldn't have done the work without our conversation in this thread last week.

Good turning radius? (Diameter?) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cr-01 turning radius royalm Tamiya CR-01 17 09-08-2014 07:45 PM
Turning radius? It usually runs fine Redcat Crawlers 6 01-20-2011 02:47 PM
Turning Radius...??? biggin69 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 07-17-2008 11:08 PM
Turning Radius INFIHunter Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 12-18-2007 04:04 PM
Turning radius Teh Masterer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 19 08-06-2005 02:10 PM