Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Which option should I choose for more wheel speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Which option should I choose for more wheel speed

Hey guys I'm brand new to RC. I've been lurking on here a while. I bought a used SCX10 Rubicon recently and would like to get a little more wheel speed. I would like to have my cake and eat it too....Still have low craw speed and more wheel speed. I just play in the backyard with my kids so no comp stuff. So far I tried 2s and 3s Batteries. The 3s got it close to what I want. I would like a little more punch. I will run 3s batteries thats a given....After doing some research I came up with a few ideas....

1. Dual Motors Twin 21T...Need either dual ECS or a Dual motor ESC (Hobbywing one). I assume twin 21t will give me more Torque and wheel speed then a stock 27T? May not crawl slow enough?

2. Brushed Holmes Hobbies Motor 27T (Trailmaster Pro?) Not sure which one? About the same cost as running dual axial 21t or 27t.

3. Brushless Sensored Motor ESC Setup

4. RC4wd 2 speed Transmission Running Stock motor

Would you guys be kind enough to help me shake out my next upgrade path? I know running 3s I will need to upgrade driveline.
cpu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Which option should I choose for more wheel speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post
Hey guys I'm brand new to RC. I've been lurking on here a while. I bought a used SCX10 Rubicon recently and would like to get a little more wheel speed. I would like to have my cake and eat it too....Still have low craw speed and more wheel speed. I just play in the backyard with my kids so no comp stuff. So far I tried 2s and 3s Batteries. The 3s got it close to what I want. I would like a little more punch. I will run 3s batteries thats a given....After doing some research I came up with a few ideas....

1. Dual Motors Twin 21T...Need either dual ECS or a Dual motor ESC (Hobbywing one). I assume twin 21t will give me more Torque and wheel speed then a stock 27T? May not crawl slow enough?

2. Brushed Holmes Hobbies Motor 27T (Trailmaster Pro?) Not sure which one? About the same cost as running dual axial 21t or 27t.

3. Brushless Sensored Motor ESC Setup

4. RC4wd 2 speed Transmission Running Stock motor

Would you guys be kind enough to help me shake out my next upgrade path? I know running 3s I will need to upgrade driveline.
Welcome to the sickness, of RC and upgrading!

Scratch 1 and 4, off your list..

The choice between 2 and 3, depends on a couple things..
1. What's your budget like..
2. How fast do you want to spend that budget!? Lol

On 3s.. playing or comping, I ran a HH 16t Crawlmaster pro. Way smoother crawling and trailing. Plus, better top end wheel speed.. it's equal to the 27t, in ways.. just a nicer reacting motor.
With this option, you won't break as many parts or strip as many gears.

But.. I switched all my scale rigs, over to waterproof HH brushless setups.. you can have Anything you want!
Brushed motor like, smooth crawling and race truck, wheel speed!
It's the best time I found, in a trail/scale rig..
With this option, you'll be replacing your drive line, a good bit faster!
Have no fear!!! Your wife and bank account, may not be happy.. guaranteed, you and the kids will come back smiling, Everytime you run it!!!
winnerone23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

With a sensored setup I have seen a single pole 17.5 on a 4s battery creep as slow or slower than my brushed setup.
Castle now has waterproof Sensored ESCs, & with some liberal use of Di-electric Grease & some "GE RTV 2" on the motor sensor board underwater cogging can be very rare.

I personally have chosen to run a Brushless Sensor-less setup, & am quite happy overall. I did sacrifice wheel speed for creeping, but it is good.
I have a TenShock 1750kv Six Pole on a 3s in a SCX10ii,
A HobbyStar 550 sized 2350kv Four Pole on a 3s in a AX10,
A airplane 2830 sized 1200kv in a CR-01 (geared as high as the gear box allows),
Torque is not a problem in any of these & I could gear up for wheel speed, but the minimum drive/wheel speed would go up.
I have brushed motors in the rest of my trucks & they are great, but their run time is a lot less.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I would suggest going brushless. I was board one day and pulled a 2200kv sensored brushless motor and esc out of a touring / drift car i was not using. Installed it into the wraith just too see. absolutely love it. It can still crawl and do sweet burn outs.
Keep an eye out in the classifieds for a used system, then get a 6-pack of pinion gears and start playing with it until you get what you want.
redneck crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Which option should I choose for more wheel speed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which option should I choose for more wheel speed. cpu77 Newbie General 2 01-11-2017 08:20 PM
Another 2 speed tranny option? SynisteR6 Axial Wraith 10 03-24-2014 08:00 PM
If you could choose your Wheel Combo for the XR-10 for what would you go? RC4WD or VP Turbo-s Axial XR10 26 02-10-2012 01:57 PM
help me choose a wheel/tire combo emaxxjeremy Tires and Wheels 6 08-22-2008 09:42 PM
Whats The Best Option For Motor And Speed Control For The Ax-10? Price Is No Option!! BASSPROKVD Axial AX-10 Scorpion 33 11-19-2007 12:40 AM