Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Struhall's first comp rig. Project Bad Influence.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Struhall's first comp rig. Project Bad Influence.

I feel like it's about time I posted up some pics of my newest rig. This is my first comp rig and I'm still new to this side of the game but I'm having fun and loving it so far.

It all started when Crawler Innovations had the first get together for the Activated Outlaw rule set. At the event Eddie and Gavin both let me drive one of their rigs and I knew I was hooked. I started doing some thinking and realized I could put together a rig with what I had and a handful more parts and I got started.

I already had a set of AX10 axles with steel Beef Tubes in the front, I added Vanquish C-hubs, knuckles and lock outs. I bought some Hot Racing universals to get all the steering angle the VP parts could give me. The axles had STRC 4 link truss on the rear and a Hot Racing 4 link on the front. I kept the rear but I got rid of the front truss and replaced it with a servo plate/battery tray.

Before the new front plate.

One of the pieces I bought was a Bender SWX chassis with the skid and a bunch of links. Got that put together and started working on the links and steering and how I was going to mount the servo. I'm using a stock plastic housing with stock gears for the transmission and I'll upgrade any of that as I break something.

Sterring is just pieces I had laying around, i used a bent Axial high clearance link for the tie rod because that's all i had that would clear the servo arm.

My wheelbase is just under 12in right now and I'm at 2 1/8 or so belly height. The wheelbase will get adjusted but this is what I got with the pieces I had in my spare parts bins.

At the second get together I bought a couple parts from Fish's Crawler Parts. I got Losi springs, shock cups and and carbon fiber spacers. Set the shocks up with soft front and medium rear springs. I also have his motor plate and servo mounts but they are not installed yet.

Once that was all sorted out I picked up electronics. I got a Castle ESC and BEC and I'm using an Axlai 35t brushed motor. I got the new cheap servo hotness from Amazon, the DS3218.

I only had one set of 2.2 tires that I own, some Proline Hammers I have owned for 5 years or more. So I picked up some CI 6 bolt wheels and some hubs from Amazon. I can't leave anything alone too much so I hydro dipped my wheels with 3 different blue colors. I think it turned out awesome. I knew I was going to use CI foams and I was talking with Eddie about what to use and he custom made me a set for the tires I'm using. I'm not even sure what they are be but he said to trust him and I did.

These pics taken from event pics posted by Nova's Ark.

All that's left is the body and I bought the iconic comp body the Parma X-Citer. This was my first paint job on lexan and I figured something simple like old school scallops would be best. Easy to tape off and only needed two colors. I used two of the colors from my wheels to paint the body.

The body didnt come with any stickers except the windshield mask. I had a set of stickers from a Proline Chevy body and I repurposed some of them for this body. I'm a Jeep person at heart but this is what I had so that's what its staying. I cut and sectioned the grille to keep the bowtie logo on the front and used the tail lights on the rear.

And obviously a build thread is useless without pics being used so I have a few I borrowed from the event thread.

Gotta represent the 903.

I hope that's everything. I'll add or subtract stuff and proof read soon.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Struhall's first comp rig. Project Bad Influence.

Nice

Live it love it crawl it
tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
5th D Owner/Driver

Great job! I wish more people would build budget rigs with what they got laying around. Comp cars don't need to all be high dollar to have fun!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Great job! I wish more people would build budget rigs with what they got laying around. Comp cars don't need to all be high dollar to have fun!

Well said

Live it love it crawl it
tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnyder View Post
Nice

Live it love it crawl it
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
After driving the ones I did at the first event I know I needed to build one but I don't have the huge hobby budget some people have. Cheap and used is just as fun as brand new expensive parts. All my rigs are built that way because I enjoy keeping up with and beating people who have more in their axles than I do an entire rig.

Last edited by struhall; 05-10-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Nice work Jamie It has been very enjoyable for me to watch you build up this rig and improve your driving abilities. It has reminded me of the passion I had when I first got involved with rc rock crawling. It had been years since someone has stopped by my home to show me a new comp crawler they were working on. Thank you for living out your passion for the hobby.

Also, if you'd like to build your post count up, instead of one giant post, maybe break it down to 5-7 pics max with your description. It is easier for a member to quote that specific section or make reference back to something they particularly like about your build. However you decide to do it, thank you for posting your content for the encouragement of others.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Jamie, Gavin and I (Edmundo Ayala) will be driving and filming RC cars on June 1, 2019 at Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area in Gilmer, Texas.
Start Time 9:30AM

Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area Address:
6284 N. SH 155
Gilmer, TX 75645
Telephone: 903-797-4066 (Thursday through Sunday)
$5 Park Entrance Fee

Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area Web Site:
https://www.barnwellmountainra.com/

The courses will be set based on the rc vehicles in attendance. So whatever the majority of the group has to drive, that is what we will run. No one will be turned away, and every RC will have a chance on course.

Based on our last two Get Togethers, fun was had by everyone, and more people are showing up. The March Get Together had three Competition course and three Activated courses.

Consider this your formal invite to stop by, drive your RC car and meet other hobbyists. This is not a competition or full blown event. This a get together with focus on driving and visiting. I hope to see you there and possibly get your RC car on camera.

Score Sheet that will be used:

Here is a full length (2.5hrs) video that Gavin made of the March Get Together. It is complete with a introduction and overview, along with every run from the day.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw #doubledeucefoams #deuceswildwfoams #lilnovafoams #compcrawler #scalecrawler #rccrawler
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Nice work Jamie It has been very enjoyable for me to watch you build up this rig and improve your driving abilities. It has reminded me of the passion I had when I first got involved with rc rock crawling. It had been years since someone has stopped by my home to show me a new comp crawler they were working on. Thank you for living out your passion for the hobby.

Also, if you'd like to build your post count up, instead of one giant post, maybe break it down to 5-7 pics max with your description. It is easier for a member to quote that specific section or make reference back to something they particularly like about your build. However you decide to do it, thank you for posting your content for the encouragement of others.
Thanks Eddie. It's been fun building this truck and driving this and the other trucks at the events. I'm excited to go to the events every month and always looking for the next pieces to make this truck better.

Only thing that sucks is I waited so long to build a comp rig, but then I think about how 3 or 4 years ago I might have given up because I didnt have the experience i do now.

I'm not worried about post count but I'll remember that when I make more updates. I'm about to need to start another thread in the 1.9 section for my Cherokee I just started.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So I have another small update. I've been looking for some new tires but didnt want to spend a ton. I found a set of used white dot Rovers and picked them up. Obviously I had one choice for foams and I picked up some 3 stage foams from Eddie.

And a pic with the first two mounted.

All mounted up. These things are huge. Gonna make a big difference, the 2 get togethers I've done I have found spots where a 1/2 in would make a difference. These are close to a full inch bigger.

Going to have to watch and check to make sure I don't rub when the tire is flexed sideways. I'll order some wider hubs for the front to space them out a little bit. I almost hit my knuckles and then I hit my body and shocks at full turn.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by struhall View Post
So I have another small update. I've been looking for some new tires but didnt want to spend a ton. I found a set of used white dot Rovers and picked them up. Obviously I had one choice for foams and I picked up some 3 stage foams from Eddie.

And a pic with the first two mounted.

All mounted up. These things are huge. Gonna make a big difference, the 2 get togethers I've done I have found spots where a 1/2 in would make a difference. These are close to a full inch bigger.

Going to have to watch and check to make sure I don't rub when the tire is flexed sideways. I'll order some wider hubs for the front to space them out a little bit. I almost hit my knuckles and then I hit my body and shocks at full turn.

Rovers look good Jamie
Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Shave the inside lugs on the wall of the tires off. Wheels look sweet!
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Ayala View Post
Rovers look good Jamie
Thanks Gavin. Gonna see how they do on the 1st. You know me building this truck is mostly your fault, letting me drive your red truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Shave the inside lugs on the wall of the tires off. Wheels look sweet!
Thanks. I always wanted to try the DIY hydrodip and I can get away with it on a comp rig better than a scale rig. I'm gonna run the tires how they are at least once. Then I'll end up modifying them. Might see about narrowing them, they are so wide.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Truck looks good!
You should like the Rovers. Shaving the sidewalls helps lighten and narrow the tires a bit too.
You will also notice the tire flex better and let the foams do their job better...
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Truck looks good!
You should like the Rovers. Shaving the sidewalls helps lighten and narrow the tires a bit too.
You will also notice the tire flex better and let the foams do their job better...
Thanks. It's a first comp truck and first lexan paint job for me.

I got to use it this weekend and the Rovers are great. They had enough traction to make my slipper actually slip, and once I tightened down on that I ended up snapping an axle up front.

I plan to shave the sidewalls down and trim the lugs on the inside for sure. I didn't get enough drive time before I broke to get a game plan set but once she's fixed I'll get some more time to sort it out.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Got my first event last weekend (June 1st) with the new tires and I had a couple issues. In my first run my slipper wasn't tight enough and when I bound up my tires I slipped. Made it through the first run decent but I know I left something on the table. Tightened the slipper between run 1 and 2 then at the end of run 2 Gavin noticed my left front tire wasn't doing anything. The first time in 7 years of driving I broke my first axle.

One of these things is not like the other...

After that happened I pulled the inner shaft out and bolted the wheel back up, can't end the day with a DNF. I can't remember but I think I made it through the first gate and DNFed for the course. Guess I CAN end on a DNF.

Lucky for me I had a set of axles come in Thursday before the event that had Vanquish universals. Got them swapped out tonight along with brass beef tubes up front to replace of the aluminum and moved the aluminum to the rear axle.

Going to try to get some testing done before the next event and see about tuning the tires and cutting lugs to get the most out of them.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Here is how I cut mine. Just cut, not shaved.

Heido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heido View Post
Here is how I cut mine. Just cut, not shaved.
Did you just get rid of the side lugs?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by struhall View Post
Did you just get rid of the side lugs?
Yes, in front I even left the small eight-shaped lugs uncut.
Heido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Got some new parts on the way. Picked up a used chassis and new skid, cross braces and comp body mounts from Fish's Crawler Parts. I got the custom parts in the best color and I'm super pumped for them to show up. The parts should be here today but I had to share the pic. I won't be able to touch anything until Sunday but I'll build it as quick as possible.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Watched the new C.I. footage of the june 1st GTG. those tires are way better than the hammers, but it looked like the hammers could hold their own if they were a little taller on the may 4th vid. keep driving man! your doing good!
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Struhall's first comp rig. Project Bad Influence. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project: Shaftinator (2.2 Comp Rig, DNA Chassis) justinart24 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 03-28-2010 08:44 PM
My WK comp rig Build, project Stein Steiger (SS) camel_rc HPI Wheely King 45 02-01-2008 03:19 AM
Y'all suck, or at least are a bad influence slugzracing Chit Chat 3 06-28-2005 11:41 PM