Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Is this ESC okay to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is this ESC okay to use?

Sporty is rockin aluminum knuckles and the CF slug holders.

Pro rig runs, delrin knuckles with loaded dice(cut down to save weight)

Why purple? Cause I bought the second hand and they came that way. Lol.. so I left it..

Sexo is running brass and so is my son's pro rig... Lol..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Sporty is rockin aluminum knuckles and the CF slug holders.

Sexo is running brass and so is my son's pro rig... Lol..

For bombproof you can't get better than dlux knuckles that's for sure. My dice are fiber but the next step is to swap them onto the rental and put a full brass set on the main rig so I can add or subtract weight as needed, I cannot add more than I have now as I'm already running brass lower plates on the knuckles too.

You're running scx knuckles on the pro rig right? How do you like the steering on it vs the sporty? I have 8* on the rental and scx on the main but I haven't ran them side by side enough to know if I like them or not.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
For bombproof you can't get better than dlux knuckles that's for sure. My dice are fiber but the next step is to swap them onto the rental and put a full brass set on the main rig so I can add or subtract weight as needed, I cannot add more than I have now as I'm already running brass lower plates on the knuckles too.

You're running scx knuckles on the pro rig right? How do you like the steering on it vs the sporty? I have 8* on the rental and scx on the main but I haven't ran them side by side enough to know if I like them or not.
So you have a build thread? Pics? Anything!? That seems like a lot of weight..
But it depends on what your rear looks like and how much it weighs. (Yes, I'm laughing and still posted it)

Umm.. I Really like the non 8° on the pro!
I tried the non 8° on the sporty, I didn't like it.
The 8° actually helps with steering, on a sporty.. IMO..
It's a trade off.. personal preference.. depends on drive style and setup.
I don't like my rig to push, so I raise my rear uppers at the chassis. But with the non 8°, it didn't steer the same.
It goes deeper then that tho.
Like.. with the 8°, on a sporty, you can use it as a advantage, to grab a ledge..
With a pro, it doesn't matter, cause you have dig.
Etc...
Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatotheripper View Post
hobbywing isn't some random chinese esc. Maybe you're thinking hobbyking. But hobbyking escs are fine as well. Don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about. It turns out to be bad advice and makes you look like a fool.

Brushed or brushless is fine for crawling these days. Just make sure it fits your needs. Brushless can be nearly as smooth as brushed these days as long as you avoid castle. That's my experience. I'm still struggling to get my mamba x to be silky smooth even after castle claims to have fixed the bugs in the software.

Brushed is inexpensive and a great way to start. The hobbywing wp1060 esc or wp1080 escs are the best bang for your buck brushed escs. There's tons of motor choices from the $10 rc4wd 35t motor to the holmes crawlmaster.
3, 2, 1...
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So you have a build thread? Pics? Anything!? That seems like a lot of weight..
But it depends on what your rear looks like and how much it weighs. (Yes, I'm laughing and still posted it)

Umm.. I Really like the non 8° on the pro!
I tried the non 8° on the sporty, I didn't like it.
The 8° actually helps with steering, on a sporty.. IMO..
It's a trade off.. personal preference.. depends on drive style and setup.
I don't like my rig to push, so I raise my rear uppers at the chassis. But with the non 8°, it didn't steer the same.
It goes deeper then that tho.
Like.. with the 8°, on a sporty, you can use it as a advantage, to grab a ledge..
With a pro, it doesn't matter, cause you have dig.
Etc...

Of course I have pics but no build thread(s) on them since hush-hush bits and them being pretty basic otherwise. I figure if I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary why waste the bandwidth.

I realize a fully loaded set of brass dice with a brass retainer is crazy overkill but I like options. I can always leave bits out or swap back and forth with the rental. I am running 2 of the tungsten weights on each rear corner since the rear was getting real light on decents.

Super fancy holders, I know but I've got a 6' square sheet of 1/4" UHMW to work with so yea.

I've played with vertical separation at the chassis and ended up with the links on both ends as separated as possible and liked it there. The latest experiment is in caster angle. I'm running maybe 5* on the scx c hubs and about 2* on the 8* c hubs. Seems to work, I do have to work around the shocks and links more without 20 degrees of castor though.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
HobbyWing isn't some random Chinese ESC. Maybe you're thinking HobbyKing. But HobbyKing ESCs are fine as well. Don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about. It turns out to be bad advice and makes you look like a fool.

Brushed or brushless is fine for crawling these days. Just make sure it fits your needs. Brushless can be nearly as smooth as brushed these days as long as you avoid Castle. That's my experience. I'm still struggling to get my Mamba X to be silky smooth even after Castle claims to have fixed the bugs in the software.

Brushed is inexpensive and a great way to start. The HobbyWing WP1060 ESC or WP1080 ESCs are the best bang for your buck brushed ESCs. There's tons of motor choices from the $10 RC4WD 35T motor to the Holmes Crawlmaster.
Usually I ignore posts from know-it-all teenagers, but I've seen way too many of your posts that attempt to belittle people on here for no just cause. I guess the "ripper" part of your moniker is accurate since you like to rip into everyone.

If you happen to re-read my post, I didn't offer any advice, bad or otherwise. I merely stated a fact and a personal preference. The OP can make up his own mind. Also, I like to support and mention the local vendors whenever I can.

Now, it's very late in PA, so better grab your milk and cookies and go to bed before your mom takes away your XBox.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I agree^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
HobbyWing isn't some random Chinese ESC. Maybe you're thinking HobbyKing. But HobbyKing ESCs are fine as well. Don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about. It turns out to be bad advice and makes you look like a fool.

Brushed or brushless is fine for crawling these days. Just make sure it fits your needs. Brushless can be nearly as smooth as brushed these days as long as you avoid Castle. That's my experience. I'm still struggling to get my Mamba X to be silky smooth even after Castle claims to have fixed the bugs in the software.

Brushed is inexpensive and a great way to start. The HobbyWing WP1060 ESC or WP1080 ESCs are the best bang for your buck brushed ESCs. There's tons of motor choices from the $10 RC4WD 35T motor to the Holmes Crawlmaster.
Calling someone a fool or insinuating they are, makes you foolish..

The OP already commented on reading brushed vs BL threads and decided against it.

Personally, I would like to see your thread on a BL crawler. Or Anyones capable BL crawler. One that's competitive! Not some guys, that no one knows, that says "it's fine" or "OK"..
Hell, how about you just post a link to your crawler built thread?

Don't get me wrong. My scale rigs are BL and my TF2 is as smooth as running a brushed 16t Crawlmaster pro..
But it's not crawler worthy!
I run BL cause I like to break shit! Scale is Fun..
And Yes, I have went to scale events and compete in scale comps and yes with podium finishes..

But your weekend warrior and keyboard tough guy act, is annoying!

The knowledge on this thread, before you posted, would run circles around you!
Put the, outside issues down and learn to be helpful without using your character defects.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Of course I have pics but no build thread(s) on them since hush-hush bits and them being pretty basic otherwise. I figure if I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary why waste the bandwidth.

I realize a fully loaded set of brass dice with a brass retainer is crazy overkill but I like options. I can always leave bits out or swap back and forth with the rental. I am running 2 of the tungsten weights on each rear corner since the rear was getting real light on decents.

Super fancy holders, I know but I've got a 6' square sheet of 1/4" UHMW to work with so yea.

I've played with vertical separation at the chassis and ended up with the links on both ends as separated as possible and liked it there. The latest experiment is in caster angle. I'm running maybe 5* on the scx c hubs and about 2* on the 8* c hubs. Seems to work, I do have to work around the shocks and links more without 20 degrees of castor though.
I see your problem.. Plain as day! Your running ar60 axles!

Hmm.. maybe your link geo causes it ass end to be light.. front uppers, are my thought?

But mine gets light too.. and I can't do anything about the geo. The rig is dialed! Like what's 2nd place, Dialed..

I like the 12° caster, area.. give or take a degree or 2.. depending on personal preference.
20° is way too much.. IMO..
Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I see your problem.. Plain as day! Your running ar60 axles!

Hmm.. maybe your link geo causes it ass end to be light.. front uppers, are my thought?

But mine gets light too.. and I can't do anything about the geo. The rig is dialed! Like what's 2nd place, Dialed..

I like the 12° caster, area.. give or take a degree or 2.. depending on personal preference.
20° is way too much.. IMO..
Front uppers are at the top on the chassis end too just like the rears. I think it climbed better with the front uppers a hole or 2 lower but I'm still getting it dialed in trying to find the sweet spot.

I like my ar60's but I'm looking to build something hybrid this spring using a different center section, likely scx10II.

I'll likely end up dialing in some more caster but they still turn really nicely with 70* capabilities.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #30

Quote:
3, 2, 1...
I don't know what that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Usually I ignore posts from know-it-all teenagers, but I've seen way too many of your posts that attempt to belittle people on here for no just cause. I guess the "ripper" part of your moniker is accurate since you like to rip into everyone.

If you happen to re-read my post, I didn't offer any advice, bad or otherwise. I merely stated a fact and a personal preference. The OP can make up his own mind. Also, I like to support and mention the local vendors whenever I can.

Now, it's very late in PA, so better grab your milk and cookies and go to bed before your mom takes away your XBox.
Haha. I wish I was a teenager again. Sorry you took my post to heart. It wasn't meant to cut that deep. The OP mentioned HobbyWing and you responded alluding to the fact that it was some random Chinese ESC that may or may not work. That's simply not true. Your Castle and Holmes ESCs are about as Chinese as HobbyWing.

You knock me for trying to belittle, which wasn't the intent of my post, you while belittling me. Oh the irony.

Quote:
I agree^^^^^

Calling someone a fool or insinuating they are, makes you foolish..

The OP already commented on reading brushed vs BL threads and decided against it.

Personally, I would like to see your thread on a BL crawler. Or Anyones capable BL crawler. One that's competitive! Not some guys, that no one knows, that says "it's fine" or "OK"..
Hell, how about you just post a link to your crawler built thread?

Don't get me wrong. My scale rigs are BL and my TF2 is as smooth as running a brushed 16t Crawlmaster pro..
But it's not crawler worthy!
I run BL cause I like to break shit! Scale is Fun..
And Yes, I have went to scale events and compete in scale comps and yes with podium finishes..

But your weekend warrior and keyboard tough guy act, is annoying!

The knowledge on this thread, before you posted, would run circles around you!
Put the, outside issues down and learn to be helpful without using your character defects.
I didn't call him a fool. I said giving bad info makes one look foolish. There's a difference.

I will say I didn't realize this was an AX10 section. I'm not sure if any comp guys run brushless. But if you have tried brushless in a scale crawler you know that brushless can be almost equally smooth as brushed these days.

There's no tough guy attitude. I explained my post.

Your knowledge of comp crawlers would run circles around me. I wasn't responding to you. But it's pretty keyboard warrior-like to assume you know lots more than me. I've only been in RC for 30 years.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Front uppers are at the top on the chassis end too just like the rears. I think it climbed better with the front uppers a hole or 2 lower but I'm still getting it dialed in trying to find the sweet spot.

I like my ar60's but I'm looking to build something hybrid this spring using a different center section, likely scx10II.

I'll likely end up dialing in some more caster but they still turn really nicely with 70* capabilities.
As far as where the front links on the chassis are, it depends on where they are on the axle. Also where and how your front shocks are mounted.
At that point, your point of dialing. It depends on how and where your rear shocks are mounted.. (just for thought)

I want to check the scxii axles out.. I think one on the rear, would be great!

I wouldn't want any less, for a front axle. Less front axle, would cause other issues, behind the axle.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As far as where the front links on the chassis are, it depends on where they are on the axle. Also where and how your front shocks are mounted.
At that point, your point of dialing. It depends on how and where your rear shocks are mounted.. (just for thought)

I want to check the scxii axles out.. I think one on the rear, would be great!

I wouldn't want any less, for a front axle. Less front axle, would cause other issues, behind the axle.
I run the axle end of the upper links at the top of dlux sporty trusses same as in the picture I posted above. The front is always at the top singly to clear the servo. The savox 2290 and promodler V4 I run in those rigs is a bit taller from the ears to the top of the case than the hitec servos you comp guys are always having to warranty.

I run the rear links to the outside of the link mounts with the shocks insice the mounts on a common screw on one rig and the other has the shocks on the outside of the mounts and the link in it. I have many, many hours on the setup with the shocks out boarded and it is a very stable rig. I'm also running big bores with springs under the piston to slow the droop a bit and the normal outside springs too. I've found that setup to my liking over the scx shocks on the other rig for sure but they both work once you adjust your driving style.

This is how the suspension is set up on what is now the rental. It's an unstuck chassis. Yes I knowI need smaller batteries and my tune will change when I put 500 mah 4s on the front axle but I have a pile of these 1300 4s packs and 30 minutes crawling at a time makes me smile. That old chopped up body off my xxt-cr is gone as soon as my wife finishes painting my exciter today. I needed a body and that filled the bill for a couple weeks.

The scx10II axle has a 3.75:1 ratio I believe which makes for a deep underdrive even compared to scx/ar60 3.3 under drive gears.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I run the axle end of the upper links at the top of dlux sporty trusses same as in the picture I posted above. The front is always at the top singly to clear the servo. The savox 2290 and promodler V4 I run in those rigs is a bit taller from the ears to the top of the case than the hitec servos you comp guys are always having to warranty.

I run the rear links to the outside of the link mounts with the shocks insice the mounts on a common screw on one rig and the other has the shocks on the outside of the mounts and the link in it. I have many, many hours on the setup with the shocks out boarded and it is a very stable rig. I'm also running big bores with springs under the piston to slow the droop a bit and the normal outside springs too. I've found that setup to my liking over the scx shocks on the other rig for sure but they both work once you adjust your driving style.

This is how the suspension is set up on what is now the rental. It's an unstuck chassis. Yes I knowI need smaller batteries and my tune will change when I put 500 mah 4s on the front axle but I have a pile of these 1300 4s packs and 30 minutes crawling at a time makes me smile. That old chopped up body off my xxt-cr is gone as soon as my wife finishes painting my exciter today. I needed a body and that filled the bill for a couple weeks.

The scx10II axle has a 3.75:1 ratio I believe which makes for a deep underdrive even compared to scx/ar60 3.3 under drive gears.
I read this, when you posted it.. you lost me at.. "those Hitec, you comp guys replace all the time"..

Lmfao!!! It's Great, only having to buy a servo, Once!!!
In my case, buying Used servos, Once!
I just send them back, for the cost of shipping to Hitec, and receive a Working servo, back in the mail..

After that.. I was going to say.. A pic of the side of your chassis, so I can see the links and where they are mounted..

But I think you should give Robbob's thread a read. What he just posted, in the LCC section, will be exactly what I was going to suggest.. lower your front uppers, at the chassis..

But I'll let the student's post, teach you.. Baahahaha!!!!

That sounds horrible! I wouldn't want that much under drive.. from a scxii axle.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I read this, when you posted it.. you lost me at.. "those Hitec, you comp guys replace all the time"..

Lmfao!!! It's Great, only having to buy a servo, Once!!!
In my case, buying Used servos, Once!
I just send them back, for the cost of shipping to Hitec, and receive a Working servo, back in the mail..

After that.. I was going to say.. A pic of the side of your chassis, so I can see the links and where they are mounted..

But I think you should give Robbob's thread a read. What he just posted, in the LCC section, will be exactly what I was going to suggest.. lower your front uppers, at the chassis..

But I'll let the student's post, teach you.. Baahahaha!!!!

That sounds horrible! I wouldn't want that much under drive.. from a scxii axle.

I've just had bad luck with Hitec servos. Will they warranty them? Sure but what good is something that wears out? Their gears are aluminum with Ti coating just like everyone else that says Ti gears. I run steel geared servos with full alloy cases so I don't have those issues.

I've been half assed following that thread but I'll go back and start over paying more attention. I'm an information sponge and I take no shame in asking those that know more than myself, hence this thread hijack.

Deeper gearing in the axles helps to mitigate torque twist but you're right that is a pretty large ratio split.

Here is the rental mid assembly with the suspension set as it is now.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Is the off topic bromance over yet? It's like two build threads in one.

Depending on your budget, there are many esc options.
Some people are true to certain brands and that's it. I've seen expensive name brand esc's go up in smoke a month after purchase, likewise I've seen cheap HW esc's last years with regular use. Tekin, Castle, Hobbywing and Holmes are likely the most commonly used crawler esc's for good reason. If you want a very inexpensive plug and play esc look at the brushed HW WP 1060 or 1080 (program card included) they are surprisingly smooth, reliable and easy to use with a very good drag brake for brushed motors.

If you want to spend more and support American companies
Tekin
castle
Holmes
All these brands will offer more user adjustability, and similar reliability in the order listed.

Brushed vs brushless (in a crawler).
Brushed motors are the staple for crawling. If you must get brushless, get a sensored brushless. Normal brushless doesn't have the running characteristics a crawler needs. In general, brushed is best for low speed controllability and downhill drag brake. Brushless is for going fast.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #36

This may sound like a sillly question but, does using all the same brands, such as Holmes for motor, ESC, servo, make the crawler work better? Or does that even matter?
Blankenship24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Nope the only thing that matters is the quality of the parts.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quality = warranty.. or quality + warranty..
If it costs more but has a warranty, that the company is known to stand behind, is with the extra money. IMO..
Crawler electronics live a Hard life!

Is this ESC okay to use? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which ESC Brake/Reverse Type Setting on my Mamba Max ESC? b00st3d Venom Creeper 3 01-24-2010 04:34 PM
RX pack & ESC, remove the red wire or leave the ESC switch off BenW Electronics 5 02-23-2005 06:25 PM