Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Is this ESC okay to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Default Is this ESC okay to use?

So I'm building an AX10, and I found this ESC. It's a Quicrun 16BL30, waterproof, brushless ESC. Would that be okay to use?
Thanks JB
Blankenship24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is this ESC okay to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankenship24 View Post
So I'm building an AX10, and I found this ESC. It's a Quicrun 16BL30, waterproof, brushless ESC. Would that be okay to use?
Thanks JB
Are you running a brushless motor in your crawler?

For the price, size, and for crawling.. your better off with a HH BR mini..
For 80$.. already soldered and wired. Attach a bec and go..
Or a HH BRXL, just for longevity, with your son running it?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

I will be running a brushless motor, but haven't bought one yet.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I will be running a brushless motor, but haven't bought one yet.
Castle Micro X.. not a lot of room, in a crawler.
Unless it's not a crawler?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Some guys have had some luck with the Chinese ESC's...some have burnt up a few, so it's a bit of a lottery. Personally, I use only Holmes or Castle ESC's and haven't had an issue with any of them.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

Yes, it will definitely be a crawler. Ideally it would be nice to find an ESC with small proportions to make it easier to fit. I'll take a look @ Holmes and Castle and see what I can find. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

What motor are you planning on running?
Just for thought.. why brushless and not brushed?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
What motor are you planning on running?
Just for thought.. why brushless and not brushed?

When a couple of my friends got into crawling they insisted on brushless. One of them even picked up a holmes sensored out runner figuring that brushed technology just wasn't as good as the new crop of brushless

They both have nice and expensive brushless systems sitting on the shelf and brushed systems in their crawlers.

Bang for the buck I'd pick up a holmes br mini with a castle bec and a 35 turn motor from holmes, brood or even tekin.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #9

In all honesty, I have no idea why brushless vs. brushed. What is the difference, and should I be running brushed? I'm fairly new to the whole crawling. Several years ago, I bought a RTR kit and used it but had no idea what I was doing but loved it nonetheless. Since then, I've always thought about getting back into it and now I am. On my first crawler, here ls what I had.
Axial- AX10 Scorpion
Novak fifty five motor
Hi tech servo 645 mg (I think)
Traxxas XL5 ESC
With stock everything else.
At the time a friend basically told me what to buy. But he didn't really know much either.
So I'm a newbie!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Brushless is Not for crawling.. not that it can't be used, just not the right direction to head..

Advice number 1.. read thru a few of the Build Threads, on this page.
See what's being used and what's being talked about.
That will guide you.. to start..

Phones dying.. hold please.. lol
Old 02-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

There are a million different roads you can go down honestly. Check out this build and read it a few times. It is probably one of the best threads going right now and we all walked him through not only what or how but why we were recommending what we were.

If you are looking to build a crawler from scratch I'd start with whatever axles you want and add in parts as you learn why you want whatever it is you want. Or buy a $20 star and pay attention to the classifieds to swoop down on a used rig. I know of a few solid rigs up for sale right now under $500 ready to go but those deals aren't common for such dialed rigs.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

After reading a couple articles on brushless vs. brushed for crawling, I can see now that I will probably head in the direction of brushed. Learning here.
I appreciate the link to the build, I already started reading a bit and will continue to. Even if there's things I don't understand.
I ended up purchasing a roller AX10, with some more AX10 stuff, as well as a R1 Buggy. So basically, I'm gonna start with the AX10 and go from there as far as parts. Small upgrades at a time. But will keep reading up on building. I sure do appreciate the information. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
After reading a couple articles on brushless vs. brushed for crawling, I can see now that I will probably head in the direction of brushed. Learning here.
I appreciate the link to the build, I already started reading a bit and will continue to. Even if there's things I don't understand.
I ended up purchasing a roller AX10, with some more AX10 stuff, as well as a R1 Buggy. So basically, I'm gonna start with the AX10 and go from there as far as parts. Small upgrades at a time. But will keep reading up on building. I sure do appreciate the information. Thanks.
Advice 2.. keep 1 thread.. making a bunch of new threads, for each little thing, doesn't help you look back and see where you came from.
It also helps someone new, look at 1 thread, like the link WhiteTrash posted, and follow along..
When you get the AX, you bought. Start a thread and we can follow you and help as you go.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Advice 3... Don't buy parts, then ask questions!
Ask questions twice, but once.. lol..
Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Advice 3... Don't buy parts, then ask questions!
Ask questions twice, buy once.. lol..

No doubt. It's one of those things that if you feel you may get more serious in the relative near future then spend the money once and buy an upgradable part that you don't have to replace.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
No doubt. It's one of those things that if you feel you may get more serious in the relative near future then spend the money once and buy an upgradable part that you don't have to replace.
Even if not getting serious.. buy something that's going to last. Something that adds to the fun.. Something that's worth the value of resale.

I don't know how many guys I have seen. Show up, build a rig full of crap parts. Ask questions after they buy more parts.. only to realize they bought the wrong thing, spent WAY too much money, still have a "stock" rig, keeps braking, won't climb, isn't fun, can't sell what they have, and quit the hobby..

It's a bad name for the hobby and it's not fun...
Old 02-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Even if not getting serious.. buy something that's going to last. Something that adds to the fun.. Something that's worth the value of resale.

I don't know how many guys I have seen. Show up, build a rig full of crap parts. Ask questions after they buy more parts.. only to realize they bought the wrong thing, spent WAY too much money, still have a "stock" rig, keeps braking, won't climb, isn't fun, can't sell what they have, and quit the hobby..

It's a bad name for the hobby and it's not fun...
Facts.

That shiny chicom alumargerine junk might look good but what about later when hi steering style knuckles are needed? Or the steering arms don't allow for enough travel to get a decent radius out of them and you have to buy new? I don't swing from Vanquish's nuts but their knuckles are precise and with spots for removable and changeable steering arms on front and back they're a no Brainerd to me. It's just one of those parts I consider a baseline.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I Always ran VP and still do, on some rigs..
With cost of the knuckles going down, they can't be beat!
Until you go for knuckle weights..
Lots of options!!!
For me.. I take the guess work out. I run brass Dlux knuckles, now..
Moved VP knuckles and weights, on to other rigs or left them on rigs I sold..
The Dlux knuckles are less parts and the same price, in the end..
But with zero limit of options!
I like options..
Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Indeed. I run dlux knuckles on both of my sportsman rigs. Brass on the rental and aluminum with loaded dice on the main rig. Adaptability between knuckle styles, different stub axle types etc. Bombdilyicious.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Some guys have had some luck with the Chinese ESC's...some have burnt up a few, so it's a bit of a lottery. Personally, I use only Holmes or Castle ESC's and haven't had an issue with any of them.
HobbyWing isn't some random Chinese ESC. Maybe you're thinking HobbyKing. But HobbyKing ESCs are fine as well. Don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about. It turns out to be bad advice and makes you look like a fool.

Brushed or brushless is fine for crawling these days. Just make sure it fits your needs. Brushless can be nearly as smooth as brushed these days as long as you avoid Castle. That's my experience. I'm still struggling to get my Mamba X to be silky smooth even after Castle claims to have fixed the bugs in the software.

Brushed is inexpensive and a great way to start. The HobbyWing WP1060 ESC or WP1080 ESCs are the best bang for your buck brushed ESCs. There's tons of motor choices from the $10 RC4WD 35T motor to the Holmes Crawlmaster.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Is this ESC okay to use? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which ESC Brake/Reverse Type Setting on my Mamba Max ESC? b00st3d Venom Creeper 3 01-24-2010 04:34 PM
RX pack & ESC, remove the red wire or leave the ESC switch off BenW Electronics 5 02-23-2005 06:25 PM