Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Hey I'm new to the rc crawling and trailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Default Hey I'm new to the rc crawling and trailing

Need as many pointers as possible. I have a axial .. just picked it up a month ago.. don't know what model.. buy have been upgrading it a little at a time.. anyone know what axial this is?
michiganwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Hey I'm new to the rc crawling and trailing

Have a pic or something to go off?

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
nurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Parts I've changed.. am I going the right direction..lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 04-14-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thats a Axial ax10 gen1

Axial Racing - AX10 Scorpion RTR Rock Crawler 1/10th Scale Electric

Last edited by THX_138; 04-14-2017 at 08:24 PM.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
Thats a Axial ax10 gen1
Ok don't know much about it.. thanks . Trying to figure out a body

Old 04-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Believe it or not most 1/10 scale 'crawler" bodies fit. Personally I would run the parma exciter or losi grappler body if ya wanted cheap comp body that alot of guys use!

Ya gotta start somewhere & ya at the right place for endless knowledge
On crawlers & more. I would stay in this thread & read the sticky's a few times then should have a very good idea what direction is for you!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the info..

I have a few videos but don't know how to post them.. I've done some gear and motor changing as well.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-14-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Merge, posts a minute apart
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganwabbit View Post
I have a few videos but don't know how to post them.. I've done some gear and motor changing as well.

Upload to youtube then copy link & paste here on rcc
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #9

I'm running a 17t motor.. had a 55t ..

Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

17t is much more modern & better for most part depending on motor internals! Im not fimiliar with the one ya posted but if ya want the very best go holmes hobbies for all your electronics!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
17t is much more modern & better for most part depending on motor internals! Im not fimiliar with the one ya posted but if ya want the very best go holmes hobbies for all your electronics!!!
Ya that's wear I get my parts ..my local hobby shop orders them.. no shipping lol.. get parts every Wednesday.

https://youtu.be/s8VcvPBojNY
https://youtu.be/17raVtbPm74

Last edited by THX_138; 04-14-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Ditto
Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganwabbit View Post
I'm running a 17t motor.. had a 55t ..

You title your thread "crawling and trailing"

Then say you dumped a 55 turn motor for a 17 turn
You will NOT do much crawling with a 17 turn unless you're looking to dig trenches and shoot rooster tails the entire way.

A 17 turn mounted into any sort of crawler instantly turns it into a bashing rig to spin tires, go fast and annoy anyone out wanting to enjoy a day of crawling or trailing.... it's just too fast of a motor

The numbers work backwards.

As the number of turns go UP... the speed goes DOWN and torque increases

As the number of turns go DOWN... the speed goes UP and torque needed for crawling goes out the window QUICK

My own opinion... 27 turn is about the fastest you may want even for trail riding.
35-55 turn is a good window to stay in for crawling, especially if you're new to the hobby.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-14-2017 at 09:21 PM.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:47 AM   #13

Thanks for the info.. useing a 17 turn also breaks stuff.. I've switched back to a t55.
Ok so what's the most common motor and gearing to run.. I bought the metal trans and transfer case upgraded my outer axle housings to metal... changed shocks .. shocks..lol. tried flipping them.. can't do it on my crawler hits everything lol

Last edited by THX_138; 04-15-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #14

You'd have to give a ton of information to get any answers on common gearing.

When you jump from playing with RC toys off the shelf in Wal-Mart in the backyard or driveway, versus entering the scale realm a LOT of variables apply before answers could be given.

To ask even common gearing , beyond the above 27 turn to 55 turn answer being the common window, the answers to these things below would be helpful and needed.

• what RC do you have
• what axles are in it
• what trans is in it
• what size tires are on it
• what is the terrain you're mostly wanting to be on
• composition of terrain
Etc... Etc... Etc...

Once you go from "toy" to a hobby purpose, a lot of variables apply to generate answers.
There are endless great threads out here on the forum with info on your questions. A little time utilizing the search function that I've already linked you to by PM will generate you a metric ton of info.

Again, tons of great info, but here's just a random sampling on motor turn info that's out here to read and learn from.
Usually, any person that's created a thread like that would gladly accept a PM from anyone and help with any more specific questions privately.

Understanding motor turns
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
You title your thread "crawling and trailing"

Then say you dumped a 55 turn motor for a 17 turn
You will NOT do much crawling with a 17 turn unless you're looking to dig trenches and shoot rooster tails the entire way.

A 17 turn mounted into any sort of crawler instantly turns it into a bashing rig to spin tires, go fast and annoy anyone out wanting to enjoy a day of crawling or trailing.... it's just too fast of a motor

The numbers work backwards.

As the number of turns go UP... the speed goes DOWN and torque increases

As the number of turns go DOWN... the speed goes UP and torque needed for crawling goes out the window QUICK

My own opinion... 27 turn is about the fastest you may want even for trail riding.
35-55 turn is a good window to stay in for crawling, especially if you're new to the hobby.
I don't disagree for a new person, but you can run that turn of motor or more and still go out and crawl.
Me personally I run a 16t in one trail rig and 3300 kv in the other 3. All crawl very well and when you need that extra wheel speed it's there, otherwise we just crawl along.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #16
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Michiganwabbit, nice rig so far. When choosing a motor it is very important to know all info like THX 138 said. Some of the guys I trail with run 16 Turn motors but they are 5 armature motors, a 17 turn is about like a 35 turn 3 armature. You can get away with the faster motor if you GEAR DOWN. Anytime you go to higher voltage or faster motor you gotta gear down. If you don't you will probbably burn something up, or at least overheat stuff. You have a good start with that rig, I would start taking it out and running it. As you find the weak points fix them. It is also good to do searches here and study the threads and ask questions. Listen to the guys at your LHS also. Ask people with simmilar rigs what they are running. Unless you are there competition they will prob help you out, heck even if the are racing against you most guys will help you out. Good luck. Keep crawlin'
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Michiganwabbit, nice rig so far. When choosing a motor it is very important to know all info like THX 138 said. Some of the guys I trail with run 16 Turn motors but they are 5 armature motors, a 17 turn is about like a 35 turn 3 armature. You can get away with the faster motor if you GEAR DOWN. Anytime you go to higher voltage or faster motor you gotta gear down. If you don't you will probbably burn something up, or at least overheat stuff. You have a good start with that rig, I would start taking it out and running it. As you find the weak points fix them. It is also good to do searches here and study the threads and ask questions. Listen to the guys at your LHS also. Ask people with simmilar rigs what they are running. Unless you are there competition they will prob help you out, heck even if the are racing against you most guys will help you out. Good luck. Keep crawlin'
Ya I was over heating stuff and lowered my gear.. it helped alot.. Also looking to see what's a good shock. Or I was thinking of buying the brackets to mount them straight up and down.. see if it's better than it is now.. it twists so far the wheels hit and the crawler won't move .. it's a work in progress..

Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

First thing I would suggest is
READ a lot, look at the tricks and tips sticky at the top of this section and the search button is your friend.

A lot of the stuff you will ask is here somewhere. A lot of trail and error also.

Welcome to the most addicting hobby I have ever been involved.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
Hal
Quarry Creeper

An easy way to stop tire rubbing is to limit shocks with a small section of rubber tubing (fuel line...cheap$$$.) Remove shock rod end and put tubing on and put end back on. If looking for the most travel available just keep trying different lengts till you get it right. I like my shocks as soft as I can get them without bottoming out on the terain I am running on. To tune the shocks try some lighter / heavier oil also. I like to "balance" my front and rear also. With rig on level surface lift 1 rear wheel, the opposite fron wheel should bottom out aproximately the same time as the one you are lifting. If they don't try changing springs and/or spring preload. It realy is a good place to get started, but not always perfect. It may still need some tweaking. Good luck
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Hey I'm new to the rc crawling and trailing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Crawling/Trailing Course RcMudder Formula Offroad 5 05-18-2015 10:46 PM
Need crawling/trailing buddies shiftface Oregon 2 01-13-2015 12:34 PM
New to Crawling/Trailing.... Airbus9e Newbie General 0 05-02-2014 03:44 PM
Anyone doing any trailing/crawling around North GA? JDeezie82 Georgia 4 07-02-2010 09:06 AM