Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 1:8 scale F100 Crawler with custom 1:8 SCX style Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #1

Hey All, some of you probably saw my past thread of planning on turning my AX10 into a buggy... Well plans took a 180 and now I'm doing a 1:8 F100 build.

As of right now I have the body painted and roughly trimmed out but still needs a bunch more cut to be ready for crawling and stuffing the 5.8" Super Swamper 2.2 XLs and 20mm wheel spacers. I will also be lengthening the wheel base after i figure out exactly where I want the body.

I'll be making a Lexan panel to mount the Magnetic/ Velcro body mounts & battery underneath to get the COG low. Inner fenders will be thin plastic or sheet metal I haven't decided...

I'll try and keep this thread updated as I make progress. I'll also post pics from when I started to now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Start of the new 1/8 Proline 66 F100 body. Made for short course trucks but I like a challenge... I painted the inside Metallic silver and the exterior blue/ white so that as it gets used it will look like exposed metal coming through the paint..

I'll attach pics of the painting process and of playing with the body height. And figuring where I need to cut more.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-05-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Merged, posted minute apart
TwistedcaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

Default Re: AX10 1:8 scale F100 Crawler.

I haven't seen one of those Axial RTRs in a long time! Cool!

I think going with the F100 is a much better idea. The SCX10 isn't a good go-fast platform. And your finished truck looks awesome! Nice work!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I haven't seen one of those Axial RTRs in a long time! Cool!

I think going with the F100 is a much better idea. The SCX10 isn't a good go-fast platform. And your finished truck looks awesome! Nice work!
I picked it up on eBay a few months back after playing with my buddy's Wraith and Rock Rey. It did pretty good but I felt it could be greatly improved as good or better than the wraith with a lil work and it's getting there. I just replaced the Controller/ receiver which was the last of the original electronics on it haha.

Got some progress on the Lexan chassis and Magnetic/ Velcro body mounts!
Been a pain but finally coming together!

Got the Lexan glued together and the body mounted today! Fits great as is but can't wait to stretch the wheelbase. Still have trimming to do on the rear fenders but waiting till the stretch...

PICS!

Last edited by THX_138; 06-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Re: AX10 1:8 scale F100 Crawler. & Lexan Chassis/ Mounts

Is this thing currently up and running? A buddy, myself, and my kids are taking our crawlers to Boosinger Park in Pismo Beach (top of the hill at Wadsworth) Monday afternoon (taking the go-fast rc's to the dunes in the morning) and it would be cool to meet up with some more locals.

Looking good so far
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

UHMW-PE... commonly used for plastic cutting boards.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Is this thing currently up and running? A buddy, myself, and my kids are taking our crawlers to Boosinger Park in Pismo Beach (top of the hill at Wadsworth) Monday afternoon (taking the go-fast rc's to the dunes in the morning) and it would be cool to meet up with some more locals.

Looking good so far
Oh yeah it's up and going now. Nowhere near done but when are they haha.

I'm up in the Paso area but do get to Pismo occasionally in my 1:1 rig haha. But that's needing a new drive shaft...
L

So I've decided to use the Lexan only as a Template. It's too rigid and brittle to use for a Chassis. Not sure what I'm going to use next. Either Carbon Fiber, Styrene, Aluminum, or 1/8" plate steel...
Quote:
UHMW-PE... commonly used for plastic cutting boards.
I'll look into that thank you!

So I've been playing with an idea... a 1:8 scale SCX10 type frame rails attached to the stock AX10 chassis. I'd still like to use 120mm shocks so it'll take some creativeness.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-05-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

so i like the creativity of this truck...but i want to point out a few small things that you might not realize or have learned yet.

your center of gravity is EXTREMELY high
a lot of articulation is not always the best thing. makes for easy roll overs...etc.
having that big battery in the back will also mess with your COG.

do some reading in this section and it will help you a lot with the drivability of your rig.

i dig it. nice body on there. love those tires, have them on my Yeti and they are massive.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
so i like the creativity of this truck...but i want to point out a few small things that you might not realize or have learned yet.

your center of gravity is EXTREMELY high
a lot of articulation is not always the best thing. makes for easy roll overs...etc.
having that big battery in the back will also mess with your COG.

do some reading in this section and it will help you a lot with the drivability of your rig.

i dig it. nice body on there. love those tires, have them on my Yeti and they are massive.
Hey I appreciate your input, getting back into RC after years of being out. So in the pics i posted the body is sitting about a half inch too high as well as the springs on these 120mm shocks are way too stiff with no downtravel except for a lil mod i did moving the bottom spring perch down tp the shock mount. New more adjustable ones are going on next pay check haha

And as far as the battery I've been having it mounted where the engine would be to weight down the front. It's extremely stable from side to side especially with 20mm wheel spacers on each side but I think I'm going to go to Billet AR60 axles shortly after i make the new frame. Going to a SCX10 style frame but more crawler friendly and 1:8/ 1:6 scale. Ill be making a plastic version before 1/8" steel plate and Ill keep things updated here. Ill be cutting a few extra sets out on the plasmacam also.
And I do Love these 5.8" Super Swamper XL's super grippy!!!

Again I appreciate the input as mine is the guinea pig before I build a couple similar 1:8 scale crawlers for a few buddies.

Last edited by TwistedcaB; 01-18-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I built a similar one a few years back using parts from my Ridgecrest AX-10 and a Traxxas Dodge SC body, transferring the parts over to an SCX-10 frame and using the SCX-10 skid. 2 yrs ago, I swiped the chassis from my 1/6 Jeep to put back under the Dodge body. Wroncho II / Desert Truck - RCU Forums. I have more fun with it now and am not breaking as many parts.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Default Re: AX10 1:8 scale F100 Crawler with custom 1:8 SCX style Chassis

Are you planning on incorporating your shock mounts into the chassis rails, or making a separate piece that bolts on later? I really need to make a new chassis (or break down and buy one) for my son's E10 (AX10 clone) so I'd like to see what you come up with.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a ballpark idea for what you want the wheelbase to be? I just got my dodge up and running with a 15in wheelbase on RC4WD 5.5" Rok Lox wheels. I think the new bright dodge body is either a 1:6 or 1:8 scale. I used the deadbolt to convert it, but that's basically an scx10 frame rail with ax10 tranny and axles. Links are long with the stock ax10 shocks. Only issue I think I'm having is with the front driveshaft slightly rubbing the front 3 link.

I'm also running RC4WD 12mm wheel wideners which work great.
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

WOW!! I'm glad I stumbled out of my "Wraith Sandbox"!!
This might be the BEST repurposing of an old Shafty that I've ever seen!! Definitely following THIS!!!
YES, your COG might be a bit high... But I'm sure you'll figure that out. The SC Body idea is so good, it almost makes me want to hunt down an old AX-10......

The AR-60 Axles are going to be a HUGE improvement in stability and handling. As my Wraith is still going together, I know the value of those Axles!!
Since you've been gone, Droop is more of a thing now. It gives your Wheels more reach DOWN into ruts, for better traction over all...
AND, it lowers your Chassis some, improving COG!!
Basically, if you're running 120mm Shocks, you might want to set up the Springs, so at rest, your total Shock length is maybe 100-105mm. There's a LOT more than that to Droop..... but that's the basics.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looks better lowered
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #14

Here's the beginning of the 1:8 SCX style frame. Foamboard before the 1/8" plate.

Starting the crossmembers this weekend

Quote:
Are you planning on incorporating your shock mounts into the chassis rails, or making a separate piece that bolts on later? I really need to make a new chassis (or break down and buy one) for my son's E10 (AX10 clone) so I'd like to see what you come up with.
I'm going to make bolt on shock towers to the new section of frame to lower the COG while keeping 120mm shocks. This new section of frame will be attaching to the AX10 chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme4x2 View Post
Do you have a ballpark idea for what you want the wheelbase to be? I just got my dodge up and running with a 15in wheelbase on RC4WD 5.5" Rok Lox wheels. I think the new bright dodge body is either a 1:6 or 1:8 scale. I used the deadbolt to convert it, but that's basically an scx10 frame rail with ax10 tranny and axles. Links are long with the stock ax10 shocks. Only issue I think I'm having is with the front driveshaft slightly rubbing the front 3 link.

I'm also running RC4WD 12mm wheel wideners which work great.
I haven't decided exactly because I may make it adjustible for the F100 body and my 1/6 '42 Willys Hardbody. Roughly a 14" wheelbase right now since the f100 isn't very long. But that'll change haha. Wheel spacers have helped a ton for sure until I go AR60's! I'll have to check out your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
WOW!! I'm glad I stumbled out of my "Wraith Sandbox"!!
This might be the BEST repurposing of an old Shafty that I've ever seen!! Definitely following THIS!!!
YES, your COG might be a bit high... But I'm sure you'll figure that out. The SC Body idea is so good, it almost makes me want to hunt down an old AX-10......

The AR-60 Axles are going to be a HUGE improvement in stability and handling. As my Wraith is still going together, I know the value of those Axles!!
Since you've been gone, Droop is more of a thing now. It gives your Wheels more reach DOWN into ruts, for better traction over all...
AND, it lowers your Chassis some, improving COG!!
Basically, if you're running 120mm Shocks, you might want to set up the Springs, so at rest, your total Shock length is maybe 100-105mm. There's a LOT more than that to Droop..... but that's the basics.
Hey glad you strayed man Haha! I I've always loved modernizing old shit haha.
Most of those older pics I posted were just rough mock up and will be sitting much lower. I've been making up a template for a 20.25" SCX10 style frame rails that will attach to the AX10 sub frame. From there I will be able to mount the body at any height. Also I have gotten new 120mm dual rate shocks that have allowed me to actually set droop and it does indeed work much better! I'll Post a few update pics.
Here is about how the body will sit tho maybe a 1/2" lower or so after more trimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Looks better lowered
Yeah I agree. And functions better.

Fenders will get trimmed flat and then running an exo cage along them

Last edited by THX_138; 06-05-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I agree too! It's got a more muscular stance now - and still looks like it will CLOBBER any Gates!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Lightbulb Re: AX10 1:8 scale F100 Crawler with custom 1:8 SCX style Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedcaB View Post
I haven't decided exactly because I may make it adjustible for the F100 body and my 1/6 '42 Willys Hardbody. Roughly a 14" wheelbase right now since the f100 isn't very long. But that'll change haha. Wheel spacers have helped a ton for sure until I go AR60's! I'll have to check out your build.

14in will be a good wheel base. I've had some jerry rigging on the front 3 link to get a 15in to work around the driveshaft. Luckily the AR60s use a 4 link, so that should work and look a lot better.

I'll have to update my thread. I only have the first post in there All though its nothing exciting and I've tried to make everything work with spare parts. Basically a junk yard build haha
I ordered some AR60s last week and they get here Monday. So long wheel spacers! Now to figure if I want to run 2.8 pro-line interco swampers for fun or get better crawling 2.2s haha

With the 2.2s and spacers

Old 03-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
^^ Hey... I like those Steamroller Tires you've got on that Rig!! ^^
They're crazy wide haha I'm not sure how they work crawling. I'll have to try them out. I've only used them on my slash a few times since I just got them.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #18

Update time!! I stretched the wheelbase to 14.5" and installed the Billet AR60's & 30mm spacers. Next on the list is to build the 20.25" custom frame this week.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

What motor are you planning on running? I just went to an Axial 55t after my 35t kept overheating while crawling. Trail runs were fine though.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #20

Tried my Yeti Score body for shits and giggles.. fits great!! But just cause I can doesn't mean I should lol.

So here's my actual backup body for this chassis. My 1:6 1940's Willys. Just sat it on top to see. With the new frame it'll be able to sit much lower.
Went and did some wheeling today in Montana De Oro with a buddy and his DeadBolt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme4x2 View Post
What motor are you planning on running? I just went to an Axial 55t after my 35t kept overheating while crawling. Trail runs were fine though.
I'm going to be ordering a Holmes Hobby Trilmaster 550 45T motor. Also going to a 2 speed trans soon hopefully. This rig is getting heavy so time for a drive train
Forgot to post some earlier pictures with the new handmade chassis.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.

AX10 1:8 scale F100 Crawler with custom 1:8 SCX style Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scale 1.9 2.2 super crawler and what im working on scale 2.2 nitro ax10 nitroscaler Delaware 7 10-14-2009 10:32 PM
*Unimoger's K2-3L Scale F100* Unimoger 2.2 Scale Rigs 37 11-20-2006 09:47 PM
HotRodCJ Ford F100 scale buildup BrandO 2.2 Scale Rigs 84 07-21-2006 08:41 PM
Scale F100 Trail Rig camel_rc 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 07-01-2006 11:36 PM