Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 5th Dimension Suckerpunch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

2.2 sportsman

Chassis - 5th Dimension Suckerpunch
Axles - AR60 with under/over ring and pinions, Dlux servo/link mounts
Wheels - CI 1"
Tires - Proline Chisel
Foams - CI - front - narrow inner/med outer, rear - narrow inner/soft outer
Links - Lowers - stainless and/or aluminum tubing over stainless 8-32 all thread with Jato ends, Uppers - Aluminum tubing over stainless 440 all thread with traxxas 1942 ends.
Shocks - Dravtech with 40wt front 30wt rear. I'm not sure which of the springs I will use yet. I have a set of all the available rate springs from Dravtech.
Trans - AX10 with RR hardened output.
Motor - 55T
ESC - Axial AE-5
Servo - Hitec HS-7955tg (noisey little thing)
Radios - Futaba Fasst
Batteries - Venom Graphene 3s 650mah
Body - Parma exciter, losi mini crawler for temporary until parma gets paint lol

LMK what you think. I'm pretty new to all this.

Where can I find out about local clubs/events? I'm in CA, near the coast between Santa Cruz and SF.

Charging batteries now. I cant wait to test this thing out on some real rocks.

Good test run today on some sandstone rocks down the street. No video yet, as I was alone. I plan on heading out to the beach sometime this week for more testing. Maybe I'll get some video.

Thanks to everyone on Rccrawler for all the build threads and info. Thanks Cboggs for the help with battery choices.

This build started years ago as a TLT crawler but I never finished it. A few months ago I pulled out the box of parts and started to pick up where I left off. I quickly found that things had changed quite a bit since then so this is what I ended up with. Lol.

Found info on local competition. Looks like april 15th is a comp at Rockaway Beach. I just might have to go visit.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-12-2019 at 09:25 AM.
bassbusta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 5th Dimension Suckerpunch

Good looking rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #3

Nice looking rig working on a sportsman my my self using dravtech shocks. I was gonna start with some lighter weight oil and med springs looking forward to see how your setup works
DKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKOR View Post
Nice looking rig working on a sportsman my my self using dravtech shocks. I was gonna start with some lighter weight oil and med springs looking forward to see how your setup works
It seems a little soft in the rear. I'm running the Dravtech medium/red springs up front with 40wt and Dravtech soft/grey springs in the rear with 30wt. I might try red all around but I wish there was something in between.
JDcustomfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Where did you get the body mounts?

tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnyder View Post
Where did you get the body mounts?

They are HDPE plastic bolts nuts and washers from McMastercarr. I drilled and tapped a hole in the bolt head and bolted them to the chassis standoffs.

Last edited by JDcustomfab; 04-01-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDcustomfab View Post
It seems a little soft in the rear. I'm running the Dravtech medium/red springs up front with 40wt and Dravtech soft/grey springs in the rear with 30wt. I might try red all around but I wish there was something in between.
Krazed builds has dravtech tuner pistons that might also help
DKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

Here are a few more pics.

Last edited by JDcustomfab; 04-01-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice use of the Losi body...

I dig it!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Nice use of the Losi body...

I dig it!
Thanks! It's temporary for now until I get the Parma body painted.

Last edited by JDcustomfab; 04-01-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'd keep an eye out for a clear Losi body as a backup, could look really cool with a custom paintjob!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #12

Old 04-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Nice rig. Your steering angle is terrible with that setup though. Want to know how to fix it?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Nice rig. Your steering angle is terrible with that setup though. Want to know how to fix it?
I'm always open to suggestions, and I respect experience but your wording suggests that you know everything. Maybe you're just bitter cuz yer from the Dry Shitties.

FYI I planned on modifying some knuckles to provide better steering and a place to mount weights. Though I haven't made it that far yet.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDcustomfab View Post
I'm always open to suggestions, and I respect experience but your wording suggests that you know everything. Maybe you're just bitter cuz yer from the Dry Shitties.

FYI I planned on modifying some knuckles to provide better steering and a place to mount weights. Though I haven't made it that far yet.

Nope, don't know everything but that axle and truss setup is something I have on lock 100%. 90% of the time when someone is told there is a correct way to do it they get defensive so I've moved passed being diplomatic about things. Oh and I absolutely love the tri cities so meh. Been all over this cou try and this is where I choose to live.

Roll the c hubs back one spline on the axle tubes and either drill new holes or extend the slots in the c hubs to secure them.

Put the links up against the middle spreader and not set so wide, they're in the way of the servo arm. Until you modify the universals for more steering you probably won't need to change the servo arm but once they're good for 70* a 1" arm is fine.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #16

WHITE-TRASH, thanks for the advice. Like I said I respect experience and I'm always open to suggestions. All BS aside I really appreciate the info. I already have a set of unis that are ground for 70° and as I mentioned earlier I plan on modifying some knuckles to get more steering and to add mounts for weights. As for the link mounts, I have them spaced out slightly to help the links clear the esc. (Maybe a holmes ESC and a castle BEC would fit better, then I could get a stronger servo) I was hoping to find a servo arm with an offset low enough to slip underneath the link mounts. I also concidered that a taller link mount location would allow the servo arm to fit under the link mount and provide for plenty of travel. Mine clears as it is, but its tight and I only have 45° right now with these knuckles.

PS Someone I know once called it Dry Shitties and I thought it was funny. I thought Kennewick was nice when I was there. Have you ever seen the H1 hydroplane races out there? I would love to see that some day.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Lose those knuckles and get dlux brass and never look back. More weight and super adaptable.

Douwe has link riser for ar60 trusses on shapeways. I've ran them before, pay attention to which side the diff is on when ordering since he makes different risers for front & rear.

Lived in the area my whole life and never bothered to attend the boat race's. When the real partying was going on I was too young to attend and by the time I was of age the fun was shut down. I've noticed as I get older I hate crowds more & more so I won't be attending any decade soon. What's really sad is I could probably get free box seats if I wanted to attend...

5th Dimension Suckerpunch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 5th Dimension 2.2 comp wheels cboggs Vendors Tires and wheels 14 03-21-2017 11:31 PM
DJ's 2.2s 5th D Suckerpunch d_j_stockton Axial AX10 2nd-gen 27 04-27-2015 11:47 AM
BOOSTED's 5th D sporty build ~Suckerpunch Sally2~ rebuild pg11 boosted4lyf Axial AX-10 Scorpion 297 10-16-2013 04:35 PM
T3rry's 5th D SuckerPunch "evolution" thread T3rry Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 10-09-2013 08:34 PM