Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Dlux has gone off the deep end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #181

Default Re: Dlux has gone off the deep end

Sorry Erik that we highjacking your building tread.

I think these are the new WRCCA rules https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...60DGwXECk/edit

They are at the moment really hard to find. You can find them only at WRRCA facebook page. I hope WRRCA guys will put the rule set all so here RCCrawler where they could be easier to find.

Marko Aava

Ps. I think we should go back to the bigger body rule and deny in 2.2 sportman (shafty) class those "rockmagnet" type off wheels. just to keep expences lower and maybe to make it more interesting for the bigger companies to bild a RTR Sportman comp crawler.
macman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 04:04 AM   #182
Rock Crawler

I was also curious to know if we can do boat sides on the Shafty body...
If it keeps the full width of the body in one point I can't see why not, but I've never been sure.

I just can't see the Shafty class as an entry class on the sport...
In theory yes, but in the real world not so much.
They cost almost as much as a Pro and they are less forgiving than a Pro, making them harder to drive.
With the Pro you learn how to deal with a dig but that allows you to correct your line, the Shafty no way.
With the evolution of the sport it has become more and more of a niche market. But having something like SSD center pumpking on the market it is even better than a full rtr shafty car that you end up changing every single item on it... On the other end it would make it easy to find for everybody...

Anyway, like Marko, sorry for the offtopic.

Last edited by xkill; 05-01-2018 at 10:45 AM.
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #183
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4 View Post

I think these are the new WRCCA rules https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...60DGwXECk/edit

They are at the moment really hard to find. You can find them only at WRRCA facebook page. I hope WRRCA guys will put the rule set all so here RCCrawler where they could be easier to find.

Marko Aava

Ps. I think we should go back to the bigger body rule and deny in 2.2 sportman (shafty) class those "rockmagnet" type off wheels. just to keep expences lower and maybe to make it more interesting for the bigger companies to bild a RTR Sportman comp crawler.

There are a pile of low hung weight options on the market from about $100 to $400 depending on options and amount of desired weight.

While I am a supporter of heavy and low slung weight guys with off the shelf $50 VP brass weights still win every day. If we start banning performance parts because of any reason then we're no better than the scalers creating rule after rule and handicapping capability sso the lowest common denominator is the average. That is the wrong way to do it without a doubt.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #184
Wanna get? Gotta want.

First run out with the 3 link sporty!

https://youtu.be/2MeD88bo9lw
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #185
Rock Stacker

Nice

Live it love it crawl it
tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #186
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-wray View Post
Eric! I told Matt that body was good but he kept insisting it wasn’t....see Matt
I think we can all see right thru what he is doing. He is terrified that he is going to get beat! We all know what a vicious competitor Matt can be and the lengths he will go to so he can win.

Youre not going to get me on a technicality Chuckles!

Are you two going to AZ this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I like this rig just staring at it.. just to recap, you put in all the chassis braces so the suspension can take the full work load.

how many packs do you have through it now? any changes you would make?
Yeah, I put way too many braces on my super when I did that chassis and I liked how it firmed it up so much that I did a lot on this one too. I didnt really just guess on the braces though, I made a prototype and then kept drilling for braces until 100% of chassis flex was gone so I think its right where it needs to be. No more, no less.

I think like 30 packs? The motor is good, it has lots of torque but on super high technical situations, it is jumpy on start up. So, I think I will switch out motors. If you look in the above video where I am trying to sidehill, you can see how it can be jumpy. Thats really the only spot where I felt it so its not really that bad. If I were just fun crawling this car, I would keep that motor. Other than that, I might put some tungsten slugs in the bottom of the knuckles but thats about it. I cant see anything I would like to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENS View Post
▪ 2.5.8 - Bodies must be 3” minimum height on sides. No less than 12.5”
total length and full original width, and no less than 5” in center.

What happened to the 8" x 3" x 3" rule ??

▪ 2.5.6 - Bodied Vehicles only, typically a lexan body that is removable from chassis. Bodiless vehicles are prohibited. Bodies must be of original width and resemble a 1:1 vehicle with cab, door, and hood panels. Vehicle “body” measurements must be greater than or equal to 8" overall length, 3" overall width, and 3" overall height.

Yeah, I do remember now that the rule has been updated to 8x3x3! It would be cool if we could clean up the old stuff and update it with the new. I am glad this was not something that would have messed me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4 View Post

Marko Aava

Thanks for the link to the new rules!

Youre crazy on your restrictions for the class. LOL. I believe in progress though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
While I am a supporter of heavy and low slung weight guys with off the shelf $50 VP brass weights still win every day.
Win what? How to spend more and get less?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #187
Quarry Creeper

Josh & I will be there....no matt he’s got some spin class or something.
d-wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #188
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post

That is awesome Erik, I have some ideas for the ascender axles, (they have terrible TT because of the gearing) but I don't want to do anything until I know if your planning on building something like this for the scale world. I don't want to borrow some of your ideas if you plan on applying them yourself later. What would be the best way to talk a little about this?
Keep up the great your doing for this hobby!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #189
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'd call that a success !!! great work. looks awesome !
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #190
RCC Addict

I also wanted to draw attention to last scene of the movie, amazing how you were swinging the wheel back and forth freely without upsetting the chassis at all. So much going on there.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #191
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
That is awesome Erik, I have some ideas for the ascender axles, (they have terrible TT because of the gearing) but I don't want to do anything until I know if your planning on building something like this for the scale world. I don't want to borrow some of your ideas if you plan on applying them yourself later. What would be the best way to talk a little about this?
Keep up the great your doing for this hobby!
Ernie
I wont have anything for the scale world. Have at it. If you wanted to give credit for the idea, that would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I also wanted to draw attention to last scene of the movie, amazing how you were swinging the wheel back and forth freely without upsetting the chassis at all. So much going on there.
Yeah, videos are impossible to see what is going on or how hard something is. There are a couple lines in that video that I have seen MOA's not be able to make.

That last scene was tricky, I had to drive on opposing wheels and keep it balanced for a small period of time. On top of that, I had to blip the throttle. Being able to hit the throttle while on 2 wheels can be tricky. LOL
Old 04-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #192
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Erik, and I will give you credit for the idea when I come up with something!!!
Ernie
Old 04-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #193
I wanna be Dave

If you guys seen who I sit behind at the spin class you'd be there too.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #194
TSK
Shelf queen

Man erik, that trucks looks extremely capable. Imagine if it were being piloted by a truly talented driver...
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #195
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
If you guys seen who I sit behind at the spin class you'd be there too.
He must be smoking hot with a tight ass for you to stay at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK View Post
Man erik, that trucks looks extremely capable. Imagine if it were being piloted by a truly talented driver...
Buy one and show us how its done!
Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #196
I wanna be Dave

I did the same thing on my moa, it had delrin braces but I swapped them all out for aluminum braces and chassis has zero flex. Makes the suspension work way better.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #197
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Its something that I have messed with on my tri 4 link. I have lowered the roll center by making straight uppers and I hated it instantly. I know some people swear by it though.

Roll center and where it needs to be ideally is one thing I have not really gotten into too much. It would be nice to figure out and have a general idea of where we need to be.

Maybe we should start a list of pros and cons of a high vs low roll center?
Why did you hate the lowered roll center? By straight uppers, you mean non-triangulated, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Carbuncle View Post
One thing that we also need to consider in a side-hilling of road crawler like this, is the same thing you pointed out about offsetting torque twist....... on a side hill, if your chassis mount is on the high side, you are going to be forcing load against the opposite tire, which should in theory , do a good job of planting the wheel on the low side..... but if your chassis mount is on the low side, you are in theory (mine anyways lol) trying to pull the car over...
Good questions that I think about often, very complicated to get right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Carbuncle View Post
The roll center is going to be a point in the middle of the bar, so as the suspension travels, this point moves up and down as the panhard arc's. To reduce the uphill/downhill differences, you want to lower the mount as far down as you can, and make the bar as long as possible. Equivalent bump on one side of the car vs. the other would likely have two different roll center heights because of the length of the bar and side its mounting on, causing very different behavior when side hilling as we talked about before...

I will discredit myself and say that I am not a suspension designer or engineer. I have designed and studied real race car suspensions but am not an expert.

If you really want to play around, I recommend the awesome suspension designer software Susprog3D

and the Suspension "Bible" Race Car Vehicle Dynamics

Then at the end of the day, you will have learned a Lot of stuff that you will be able to use as a knowledge base when you say **** it and go back to trial and error!
Panhard setup roll center calculation/location makes sense.

Good background info, I've seen people with no degree build sweet 1:1 suspensions and degreed engineers build nice stuff too, practical experience is a great thing to have too!

Good resources, I've done some reading on this and until concepts are tried (together, not just one suspension aspect alone) they often can't be accepted or rejected as good or bad, unless you've got a serious computer with full on active modelling like an automotive/race car designer.

Trial and error is still a necessary aspect!

Erik, thanks for this great thread and sharing with us!

Edit: subscribed!!!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #198
I wanna be Dave

Hey Erik, I said I would keep you posted on applying your idea to the scale world of the ascender. I have design done and started testing. I'm seeing a big improvement in the TT problem. I know you're really busy but any input would be welcome. The 3 link planning starts on second page. Thanks for what you do for the hobby!
Ernie
Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-07-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #199
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Why did you hate the lowered roll center? By straight uppers, you mean non-triangulated, correct?
To be fair, I didnt spend a lot of time with the lower roll center. Yes, non triangulated.

I made my front uppers non triangulated and I got horrible lifting on the front axle. I might have been able to tune it out but it was so bad that I only ran it for a bit and switched right back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Erik, I said I would keep you posted on applying your idea to the scale world of the ascender. I have design done and started testing. I'm seeing a big improvement in the TT problem. I know you're really busy but any input would be welcome. The 3 link planning starts on second page. Thanks for what you do for the hobby!
Ernie
Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender
Awesome! I will take a look.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #200
TSK
Shelf queen

Any new thoughts, positive or negative, moving forward with this project now that you have a fairly well attended Comp under your belt with it?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

Dlux has gone off the deep end - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Took a drive off the deep end, C3 XJ 10.1-2 Jeepy84 Axial SCX10 II 6 08-29-2017 07:13 PM
C0bra's jump off the deep end! c0bra Multi Axle Rigs 2 03-29-2017 02:58 PM
DLUX Front End Guide and Wheel Fitment 802coma Axial Yeti 46 04-10-2016 10:18 AM
Give a way! UC fab sway bars and Dlux end links Erik D_lux Axial Yeti 176 03-17-2015 03:58 PM
Give a way! UC fab sway bars and Dlux end links Erik D_lux Axial Yeti XL 37 03-13-2015 01:02 PM