Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Dlux has gone off the deep end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dlux has gone off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
I thought U didn't like 8 deg C-hubs so why on this build ????
Scale points?
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #142
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Pics
Attached Images

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Break any speed records on the salt flats, lol.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #144
RCC Addict

Friday is coming up. Are you going to post some awesome flex shots?????
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 AM   #145
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Sorry the updates are taking so long. Super busy over here at the moment and just trying to keep orders going out.

Here is a vid I made after running a couple packs thru it.

https://youtu.be/UeQj89OdJ0Q
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #146
Wanna get? Gotta want.

My thoughts after running the 3 link for 30 packs or so....

I couldnt be happier with this car. For those of you who have been around the hobby for awhile, you might know what I mean when I say what I am about to. This car seems like its blessed some how. There are just some cars out there that work perfectly and you should not touch them for that reason. I know people who have had these types of cars no matter the axles or chassis, they just worked good and people might not even know why they seem magical. I know, I know, that sounds weird but again, I know that some of you know what I am saying. I am not even saying its the design. Maybe I just got lucky just like some of those other magic cars or maybe it is the design and this would work well for every single person? There is only one way to figure that out... Right now though, I wont be changing a single thing on this car with the exception of weight management (if I even do that) and messing with the 8* vs 0*.

Some thoughts...

8* sucks soooo bad! I hate it! This thing steers like a muther though and I guess thats the point? UGH!

The small AR44 diffs make a sporty so enjoyable! I could never stand hitting those AR60 diffs on everything. I am sure I am way behind most on this thought.

As I said to JRH, this car feels strange. It feels as if there is a pivot in the center of the chassis. The front seems to have zero effect on the rear and vice versa. Its a very strange and comfortable feeling. I would love to figure out how to do this on my 2.2p car.

If you saw the pictures of the chassis and the extra amount of cross braces, you would guess that this chassis is ultra rigid. It is and I love that. After driving my super, I knew this had to be more rigid and there will be some changes to do the same to my 2.2p car ASAP.

A lot of the time, I hate giving an opinion publicly because I think most people think I am selling something. So, you may think that now also but, I will say that I think this car is more capable than my 2.2p car,... if it had dig. If it had dig, I would choose to drive it in the 2.2p class over my MOA! Thats no joke! No, I am not going to put some shitty dig in it and drive it in that class. I like electronic reliable dig. Having said all that, there needs to be some changes made to my 2.2p car. I am just not sure how to make that happen....

This car has really opened my eyes to a lot of different things and thats a great thing. I feel like I and this whole hobby have been stagnate or maybe even going backwards for awhile now. I cant tell you how good it feels to build something new and come up with or at least think of new ideas.

I took a little bit of video. I will post that along with pictures as soon as I can find the time.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #147
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
I thought U didn't like 8 deg C-hubs so why on this build ????
Good question....

So, the whole reason 8* exists is because you need it on say a street driven rig. Why? Well because 8* will take pressure off the outside tire.

If you ran 0* on your Prius, when you turn, your car would want to flip over from getting too much traction on the outside tire. By running 8*, it makes the front tires sit much more neutral during turns.

Another thing, when you have more pressure on that outside tire, your car is going to want to push. You really dont want that outside tire to do any work. You want your inside tire to do all the work. You want that inside tire to turn sharper than the outside and also to have as much of the pressure as possible. This is why ideally you want 0 ackerman and maybe a little toe out.

The problem with 8* is that it takes all the pressure off that outside tire (but I just said it helps, right?). 0* can be a HUGE tool to use in many situations and IMO, 0* helps much, much more than it hurts, WHEN CRAWLING.

So, after saying all that contradictory stuff, I chose 8* right now because it turns on flat ground much better than 0* (allegedly). Since sporties are much more about lining up for a gate or being able to get from gate to gate without taking reverse penalties I feel that turning is much more important than capability, if that makes sense?

This is also why I have a problem getting interested in sporties. When lining up for a gate is more important than the over all capability of a car making it thru a gate, that just does not make sense in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Break any speed records on the salt flats, lol.
Probably set the record for carrying a RC car on foot?

That gave me a good idea though... I need to take the Yeti out on the flats next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Friday is coming up. Are you going to post some awesome flex shots?????
Man, I dont need no Fridays to post flex shots! LOL

I will post some more pictures ASAP.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #148
I wanna be Dave

I still need to read your above post. But I have a question about torque twist you think torque twist has something to do with what side the diff/pumpkin is on?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Since you are running a reverse rotation trans, how much do you think that is playing into the passenger front tire lifting?
Can't tell from the video which direction you have the drive shafts spinning.
I'm also curious how much over/under your running?

Love the build, love the out of the box thinking and willingness to try something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #150
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
I still need to read your above post. But I have a question about torque twist you think torque twist has something to do with what side the diff/pumpkin is on?
I guess in a way it could be the side of the diff. Its more then side of the diff that the ring gear is on.

When I ran my Wraith way back in the day, I followed the directions by Axial on how to put my ring gears in. My Wraith would torque so driver front and rear would go up. It would tilt the whole car on its side. When I figured out that was wrong and I switched the rear diff around, then the driver front would go up and I guess the passenger rear up? Its been a long time, hopefully you get he idea. I think this is a very common problem in the Wraith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Since you are running a reverse rotation trans, how much do you think that is playing into the passenger front tire lifting?
Can't tell from the video which direction you have the drive shafts spinning.
I'm also curious how much over/under your running?

Love the build, love the out of the box thinking and willingness to try something.
I think the trans probably plays a part in lifting the passenger side up, I think it would have to since it combats it in a "normal" car?

The passenger side does not lift anymore since I have it a bit more tuned in. If it did, that could be a good idea to try and get it to lift less but then you would have to run a standard type trans which gets rid of the over drive.

Just running the Cheez trans so its somewhere close to the same amount of overdrive as over/under gears in AR60 type cars.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

We all are lucky to have you in rc crawling, with all your products and outside of the box thinking, pushing the envelope, and growing the sport. A lot can be learned from you, so hopefully everyone else is taking notes, lol. Keep up the awesome work.

Also, thank ****in god you pulled this 3 link off. The 'scale' side 3 link, cms bullshit is embarrassing. Terrible performance. Giving the sport a bad rep with that shat. LOL.

Edit: whats your sporty weight rtr?

Last edited by 84yoda; 04-19-2018 at 03:49 PM.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #152
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yeah man!! Love to see fresh suspension tech after so many years!

I hope you make a kit or prebuilt. I'll buy one.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #153
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

I second that I haven't had a comp rig for almost a decade and now Eric has me re thinking this...
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #154
RCC Addict

I am curious to see if you can bring the front upper link high enough to get the front left wheel to lift instead.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #155
Rock Stacker

I also would be interested in a kit. Bought your top of the line MOA last winter and love it
buggy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #156
Quarry Creeper

Nice build Eric.👍
d-wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

did you happen to use txt universals for the dogbone shaft? lol... ive got way to many leftovers im putting to use in my class 0/1/2 rig.

on a side note, that dive part you are talking about.. care to go in depth?

and a kit would be a slick add to the possibilities of sporty chassis on the market. though I don't think I would have any use for it because im still adamant about using losi axles.
I think you have probably made the best sporty weapon. so maybe you shouldn't release a chassis kit lol.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #158
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
We all are lucky to have you in rc crawling, with all your products and outside of the box thinking, pushing the envelope, and growing the sport. A lot can be learned from you, so hopefully everyone else is taking notes, lol. Keep up the awesome work.

Also, thank ****in god you pulled this 3 link off. The 'scale' side 3 link, cms bullshit is embarrassing. Terrible performance. Giving the sport a bad rep with that shat. LOL.

Edit: whats your sporty weight rtr?
Man, thanks! Thats one of the nicest things anybody has ever said!

4lb 12oz without battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Cool. I got my pricing all setup. I am not sure I will put them on my site though? So, I am just going to sell these to those who are interested.

$155 for chassis, skid, braces,panhard mount
Trans cost $80MT gears -155 SAF gears
Links $100
$500 axles (includes trusses)
$60 for trusses (if you dont buy axles. Must have SSDlux axles).
Price is for 1 color of 1/8” thick G10, 1 color of 1/16” G10. Each additional color is $15

$835-910 total for complete hub to hub axles, Chassis and trans. Just need electronics, shocks, drive shafts, wheels and tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
I am curious to see if you can bring the front upper link high enough to get the front left wheel to lift instead.
Pretty sure I tried that setup, I dont remember if it lifted the other end, I dont think it did? Seems like the higher I go, its just the less that the passenger lifts.

The rear links can have effect though too.

As long as the front has any antidive, it will not lift that driver front, I dont think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
did you happen to use txt universals for the dogbone shaft? lol... ive got way to many leftovers im putting to use in my class 0/1/2 rig.

on a side note, that dive part you are talking about.. care to go in depth?

and a kit would be a slick add to the possibilities of sporty chassis on the market. though I don't think I would have any use for it because im still adamant about using losi axles.
I think you have probably made the best sporty weapon. so maybe you shouldn't release a chassis kit lol.
I dont know what TXT universals are...

Anti dive? Sure. Anti dive is how much the front of your chassis dives down or even lifts up. If you run a lot of anti dive, which means your upper links are really low on the chassis, your front axle will tuck into the chassis when it has traction.

If you dont have a lot of anti dive, or say your upper front links are higher on the chassis, you can have it so your chassis lifts away from the front axle when it has traction.

Its a common misconception that having the chassis pull down is the way to go. I mean, it feels better and looks better, right? Well, its not IMO. The more your chassis is pulling down, the more the axle is coming off the ground also. If your chassis seperates from the axle, that usually means that the axle is also pushing into the ground, aka getting more traction.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

^^^ Useful information even for those of us that are currently just screwing around with more scale vehicles...

Thanks again for this thread, Erik!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #160
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post

Its a common misconception that having the chassis pull down is the way to go. I mean, it feels better and looks better, right? Well, its not IMO. The more your chassis is pulling down, the more the axle is coming off the ground also. If your chassis seperates from the axle, that usually means that the axle is also pushing into the ground, aka getting more traction.

Dive happens when you lift the throttle/hit the breaks - weight is transferred forward. Anti dive = chassis stays more level when you apply breaks or drag break kicks in hard .... Dive = chassis rolls forward onto the front axle (dives down)

Down hill decents, your drag break kicks in and the rear axle lifts up. Anti-dive comes into tuning so you help keep the rear axle planted and the truck doesnt topple forward.

If youre lifting the nose or burying it down on power then I would lean to adjusting rear squat.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Dlux has gone off the deep end - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Took a drive off the deep end, C3 XJ 10.1-2 Jeepy84 Axial SCX10 II 6 08-29-2017 07:13 PM
C0bra's jump off the deep end! c0bra Multi Axle Rigs 2 03-29-2017 02:58 PM
DLUX Front End Guide and Wheel Fitment 802coma Axial Yeti 46 04-10-2016 10:18 AM
Give a way! UC fab sway bars and Dlux end links Erik D_lux Axial Yeti 176 03-17-2015 03:58 PM
Give a way! UC fab sway bars and Dlux end links Erik D_lux Axial Yeti XL 37 03-13-2015 01:02 PM