Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: "Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #21
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: "Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX1

Gavin and I (Edmundo Ayala) will be driving and filming RC cars on February 2nd at these locations. We will have a practice course or two set up for Activated Outlaw. Consider this your formal invite to stop by, drive your RC car and meet other hobbyists. This is not a competition or full blown event. This a get together with focus on driving and visiting. I hope to see you there and possibly get your RC car on camera.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw #doubledeucefoams #deuceswildwfoams #lilnovafoams #compcrawler #scalecrawler #rccrawler
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #22
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: "Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX1

The Hulksta Left Skinny Transmission originally planned for this build has been installed into The Formula

So that left this build needing something. I had these aluminum 5mm extended and lightened transmission outputs made many years ago. A set or two went to Crawler Innovations sponsored drivers and that was it. It's time to dust off this set I stashed for a special build. These are long front and rear outputs.

This pair of aluminum outputs was gun drilled to remove the maximum amount of weight;

Hot Racing Aluminum gear set:

CI Aluminum Outputs and HR Aluminum gears;
Old 01-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #23
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

CI Aluminum outputs installed to HR aluminum gear;

CI Aluminum outputs installed to HR aluminum gear set with bearings;

Assembled transmission, Axial plastic case, Axial Non slipper input, BWD aluminum motor plate, Kimbrough 93T spur gear;

For weight comparison reference, here is a Dlux Fab Cheez Berger transmission;

Hulksta Standard transmission;

Custom Built Axial transmission, VP trans case, BWD motor plate, Super Shafty top shaft, RRP 60T spur assembly, Axial HD Steel internal gears, Crawler Innovations steel 5mm extended and lightened long outputs;
Old 01-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #24
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The Dravtech Shocks Dlux Fab sells have been working out well on our current builds. I needed these Fixed-Tip Retaining Ring Plier with Cushion Grip for Internal Rings, 0.025" Diameter Straight Tip to assemble the shocks.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #25
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

More transmission output tech:

Steel, 5mm Long front and rear, lightened outputs;

Aluminum Long Output:

Center punched to guide you in case you want to lighten the output by drilling it gun barrel style:

Lightest Long 5mm Output offered, limited supply available:
Old 01-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #26
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Activated Outlaw Score Sheets;

Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknut View Post
Any chance you have the link lengths needed for the Villain? I have one sitting that needs finished up but don’t have the measurements for the links. Thanks

I measured the links and with SCX10 axles the link lengths are 105MM Or 120MM Eye to Eye with Revo Rod Ends. I am using the same length links front and rear for a 12.5'' wheelbase exactly.
Thank you
-Gavin
Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Update!
I switched the gray dravtech shocks for orange dravtech shocks. I installed the transmission Edmundo made spacing the chassis to fit the spur gear. I made driveshafts and ran into a rear driveshaft clearance issue with the lower link. I switched the rear lower derlin link to a titanium link and that solved the clearance issues.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

More

New Hitec HS-7954SH Servo with a new servo horn.

Steering setup

Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I used a carbon fiber knuckle arm that is alittle bit longer than a VP knuckle arm for better angle.

New rear link

Old 04-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #31
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

With the release of these new motors from Reedy/Associated it was time to get this Villain running.

16T 5 Slot Brushed motor:

Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #32
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I decided to use a Castle Creation Side Winder Micro 2 ESC for this build. The motor and ESC combo on 3S is super smooth start up with plenty of wheel speed

Ready to crawl;

These CI 5mm lightweight aluminum outputs are working nice;

Old 07-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

More pictures of the placement of electronics, links, and driveshaft clearance.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

That's some droop going on... Tested it with that yet?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
That's some droop going on... Tested it with that yet?

Yeah check out this footage.

The first time out on the rocks with the Ruthless Villain testing!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Very nice.
Looks damn hot there!

Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Very nice.
Looks damn hot there!

Thank You! Yeah it is hot it has been 95*F and up everyday with the workshop blazing at above 100*F .

Tags
#activatedoutlaw, #crawlerinnovations, #doubledeucefoams, #vanquishproducts, #ytowncrawlers

"Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Myopic" A Super Agent XR-10 Build by Crawler Innovations Nova's Ark Superclass Crawlers 45 07-02-2019 12:15 PM
Crawler Innovations Review- Yeti XL Raceline 3.8" Wheel & 3.8" R35 BFG Krawler Tire Nova's Ark Tires and Wheels 23 01-04-2017 11:37 AM
Josh's Y-Town Crawlers "Villain" Shaftsmen Build Joshie Axial AX-10 Scorpion 31 02-15-2014 03:23 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM