Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: "Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default "Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX10

Sometimes a project is better served to let it sit and come back to it. This one has sat for three years. The motivation to build and desire to compete burns strong. It is time...
To start with, this chassis was cut for me by Jeremy Toney, the former National Champion and former owner of Y Town Crawlers. Jeremy sold Y Town to Jake Wright who is the current 2.2 World Champion, so Y Town is in good hands. Jake has already cut a few chassis for C.I., so keep an eye out for several all new comp builds.

This Y Town Chassis version is named the "Villain";

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: "Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX1

This rig is being built for the Competition 4x4 class:

Old 05-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: "Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX1

The axles are extremely important and need to be built with strength and durability in mind. I stuck with Axial plastic housings so they slide well over the rocks, Axial Standard HD gear set front, Axial Under drive HD gear set rear, along with RC Bros brass burly tubes in front and aluminum burly tubes rear.

Axle Spools; Grip Fab steel chromemoly front, Hot Racing rear;

STRC aluminum servo posts:

Old 05-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

No build is complete without Vanquish Products. The quality is second to none.
VP AR60 VVD's, Steering knuckles, C Hubs, and Lockouts

Titanium rear axle shafts by Creeperbob:

Old 05-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Assembled Axles:
The front weighs 10.2 ounces as pictured, the rear weighs 6.8;

This is a set of titanium rear axle shafts Bob made for the rear of my XR10. I like to counter sink drill my VP lockouts for flat head hardware. A smooth surface will be less prone to catching on the rocks or damaging the hex.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Assembled Shocks:
Traxxas 3.5" Big Bores with shock cap mod
Mini T Springs
Jeepindoug Delrin Spring Cups
Jeepindoug 6mm Aluminum Stand Offs

Old 05-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

nice hardware! any set choice on the trans to be used?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
nice hardware! any set choice on the trans to be used?

Thank you. Sorry to take so long to respond, I was sidetracked from finishing the Ruthless Villain by this build:

"The Formula", a CI built; SSDLUX axle'd; Y Town Sporticus chassis; Activated Outlaw

The transmission I had planned to use in the Ruthless Villain will be going into The Formula. I have two possibilities for transmissions for the Ruthless Villain still. One is either a lite weight SCX10 or right side set up Hulksta.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

+1 on the hulksta. Or if you are shapeways savy, im sure you could come up with a trans easily.

Ive had a little to much success with shapeways. Its become an addiction.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
+1 on the hulksta. Or if you are shapeways savy, im sure you could come up with a trans easily.

Ive had a little to much success with shapeways. Its become an addiction.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I'm a total newb in regards to shapeways and 3d printing. It's something I would like to learn though. I've seen some really creative 3d printed transmissions in build threads on RCC.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

check out tinkercad. its easy to use. and you can upload files direct to shapeways for printing from tinkercad. ive had success with printing gearboxes using pinions.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #12

Any chance you have the link lengths needed for the Villain? I have one sitting that needs finished up but don’t have the measurements for the links. Thanks
Rocknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
Try to Bend it

Looking great so far Eddie. A couple of little things though the chasiss is a Villian.

As taken fro Urban Dictionary.
Villian
To be notorious for being better than everyone. to always be in the top to of something they have accomplished.
hey, you know "mr.x" just won first place again, i'm startin to really hate that villian.

The RCBro's burly tube collars are on backwards.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I wanted to acknowledge these before posting an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknut View Post
Any chance you have the link lengths needed for the Villain? I have one sitting that needs finished up but don’t have the measurements for the links. Thanks
I dont know the measurements but I have the links on the villain and it is a 12.5 wheelbase so when I take the links off I will take measurements. Thank you
-Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlucks View Post
Looking great so far Eddie. A couple of little things though the chasiss is a Villian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlucks View Post

As taken fro Urban Dictionary.
Villian
To be notorious for being better than everyone. to always be in the top to of something they have accomplished.
hey, you know "mr.x" just won first place again, i'm startin to really hate that villian.

The RCBro's burly tube collars are on backwards.
The chassis sure is a villain. The burly tubes are on backwards but they still work. Thank you
-Gavin
Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Alright this build thread kinda went silent. Once Edmundo started building The Formula this build was put on the side. The shocks and hulksta trans were used in the Formula so the Villain sat on the shelf. I am taking over this build thread and building the Ruthless Villain. To start the build I got some Dravtech shocks and went to assembly and didn't have the correct snap ring pliers. I then mounted the axles to the chassis and assembled a Traxxas 3.5 big bore shock for mock up.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

More

Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

More

[

Old 01-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Alright Update:
Snap ring pliers came in and I assembled the Dlux shocks but since they have been sitting for some time I used the Dlux super soft springs on The Formula and Blue Iris. So I assembled the shocks with pink mini t springs front and red mini t springs rear. I mounted the steering tie rod BTA using a washer to clear the upper links. I widened the upper links at the chassis side and used jeepindoug 6mm aluminum ball studs on the links and shocks.

I didn't have long enough bolts for the front links so I used a flat head 35mm screw with a machined countersunk washer.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

More build pics

Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

nice project,
extreme detailed photos, thanks
skypyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#activatedoutlaw, #crawlerinnovations, #doubledeucefoams, #vanquishproducts, #ytowncrawlers

"Ruthless Villain"; a Crawler Innovations build w/ Y Town Chassis & XR Width SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Myopic" A Super Agent XR-10 Build by Crawler Innovations Nova's Ark Superclass Crawlers 45 07-02-2019 12:15 PM
Crawler Innovations Review- Yeti XL Raceline 3.8" Wheel & 3.8" R35 BFG Krawler Tire Nova's Ark Tires and Wheels 23 01-04-2017 11:37 AM
Josh's Y-Town Crawlers "Villain" Shaftsmen Build Joshie Axial AX-10 Scorpion 31 02-15-2014 03:23 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM