Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Nerve's Underground Crawlers Fastback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Nerve's Underground Crawlers Fastback

Well, in the (few) years that I have been on this page, I haven't yet posted a build thread into the Ax10 section. Primarily because I have been alright with my WK setup for crawling the limited amount of time I get out to each year (our club meets once a month from May to Sept). But after getting a bit of slack for still running WK axles while every else is ax10 / berg, I had to finally make the switch over (not to the darkside... yet).

So, rather than continue with my SW3 with my "recently" purchased (October 2009) Ax10 axles for another build and do what has already been done, I looked around for something new to build for 2010. Along came C*H*U*D and his prototype bodiless crawler....YES! Just had to wait for it to be released and I knew that would be my next chassis of choice.

Obviously I won't be doing a true "build thread" like I did with my former WK rig. We have all been beaten over the head with AX10 builds after builds, after builds. So I guess its just more of a showcase thread of useless r/c crap I bought and anything in relation to it.

Ok lets add some tech jargon to make you people happy....

UPDATED MARCH 4 2017

Underground Crawlers Fastback Bodiless
Axial BTA Kit
Stock axles (Axial HD lockers are still in the WK axles)
STRC Rear Lockout
DNA Dig w/steel parts (it might fit) Dig stayed in my Wheely King
Stock Ax10 trans w/ DNA steel outputs Stock trans with Dig unit from the Wraith
87T / 14
Lower links to be 5/16 delrin (still have to buy it) Already bought
Upper links 1/4 aluminum
Traxxas Big Bores w/red springs (ooo ya '07 baby) Nope, the red spring are retired and sitting in a box
50 wt front, 45 right rear, 60 left rear ( AKA DickyT's setup..)

Front wheels:
Chisels on DNA Snipers (Ax10 offset) -Stock foam
Rovers on DNA Snipers (Ax10 offset) -Stock foam

Rear:
Chisels on Mayhem Spiders (WK offset) -Ace's Doughnut 5.5
Rovers on Mayhem Double Phatty (WK offset) -Ace's Doughnut 5.5

HS-225mg Unsure of dig servo right now
HS-7955TG Using HS-7954SH in place of
Holmes 35T Handwound Going with a Holmes Expert 35T
CC Mamba Max Haven't decided on ESC
CC BEC
SR3100

Junk currently on order:
Axial CVDs
Axial Aluminum C's
Axial Bender 4 link plate (needed something for the rear) Used the UGC rear plate
Axial HD Gear Set not installed right now
Axial OD Gear Set not installed right now
Axial UD Gear Set not installed right now
Losi Gold springs not installed right now
Losi White springs not installed right now
MIP C Drive for Dig kit not installed right now
RC10 shock bushings
VP Razor shock mounts

So that is basically where I sit with this thing, waiting on parts to arrive. I know someone will comment on my use of stock foams in my front tires and all I can say is, I want to try it out for myself. So I built them up over last winter and that is how they sat for the past 6 months. Hopefully I will get to test them out next month.

I have also taken some leftover (aka scrap) lexan from my last body I cutout and made some body panels for the Fastback. I didn't snap any photos of them, because it would be pointless showing them without any paint on them. Making panels is about the most I can do to this since i'm waiting for parts and finding a half decent spot to buy delrin from.

Anyhoo, how about a photo now that I have bored everyone...
(sitting next to my sw3)

So that's about it for now for my "showcase thread". When the rest of the parts show up, then I can add more.

Last edited by Nerve; 03-04-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Updated some of the parts listing to 2017..
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

will be watching this one for sure
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

"O Canada"!

There are quite a few FF-4's up there, but this is the first of a few Fastbacks More parts....more pictures!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

lets git er done I know you'll love it's capability these thing crawl awesome I'll be watching!
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
"O Canada"!

There are quite a few FF-4's up there, but this is the first of a few Fastbacks More parts....more pictures!

Speaking of O Canada, I considered speaking to Michelle @ Krawler Konceptz to do up some kind of a Canada themed skin for the FB. But I think I need to get it running first.. hah.

Well I know Narly1 is running an FF-4. He's part of the club.

Probably next week before any new photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerrc View Post
lets git er done I know you'll love it's capability these thing crawl awesome I'll be watching!
Yeah I definately see the potential in it. I do need to get out and practice more however.

Last edited by Nerve; 07-28-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
Speaking of O Canada, I considered speaking to Michelle @ Krawler Konceptz to do up some kind of a Canada themed skin for the FB. But I think I need to get it running first.. hah.
Michelle is great people to deal with. My skinz should be here shortly. And yes dammit, get it running
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Time for an update,

Had my list 'o crap show up from RPP Hobby last week and had some time to install some of it recently.....

Rear axle w/ the BC plate & MIP centre shaft installed (VP Razors were next to go on):

Front axle w/ the Axial BTA, Axial Aluminum C's, Axial CVD's and MIP short shaft for the 40% part of the Fastback. I decided to use a button head screw and a 3mm washer in place of the set screws that came w/ the Axial C's. I believe it was Gunner that posted a photo of a grenaded C's when the set screws were used. I wasn't about to take any chances.. lol.

Some kind of ghetto "mockup" job ..

Finally starting to look like something ...

Gold springs, 50w in the fronts
White spring, 45w right rear
Stock Big Bore Reds, largest spacer, 60w left rear

I still have to play around w/ spacers for the other shocks as I don't have any preload adjustments.

Skid sits around 2.7" towards the rear and slightly less as you move forward.

I managed to re-use my old Traxxas drag links that came with the used Wheely King kit that I bought off a local guy in 2007. Pays to keep spare parts around, you never know when you will use them.
Look on the rear upper links for said links.

So that's about where it sits right now.

I almost have my link lengths down perfectly. As you can see the fronts uppers are loosely spaced to check for proper length w/ the stock 3 link setup (60mm btw). The lowers are all based off of DickyT's build (front 4.25", rear 5.06" approx).

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Nerve; 04-15-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Lemme know if you ever want to come over and take a close look at my rig or test drive it.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Lemme know if you ever want to come over and take a close look at my rig or test drive it.

Narly1

Thanks for the offer, but maybe at the next comp meet in September I will take a closer look at yours.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Very cool!

I love the looks of that Fastback chasis!
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLF View Post
Very cool!

I love the looks of that Fastback chassis!

Thanks! Kudos to Juan @ Underground Crawlers.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

WOW that is a sweet lookin crawler good job man.
Now im thinking FF4 or Fastback chassis hmm
cliffhanger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

how about a Sunday night update... sure.

Had some issues trying to fit the DNA Dig w/ MIP centre shafts. Figured since the short shaft goes on the front, then the long one goes to the rear. Nope. Turns out I had to order in another short shaft in order for it to fit. Now I probably could have shortened the male long piece, but I didn't want to potentially destroy the part. Figured it was simpler to just order in another short kit and keep the other as spare if i decide to ditch the dig.

I'll add some photos of fitment at a later time (aka tomorrow or so).

I also managed to locate a delrin supplier (local one) and picked up 6 feet of white delrin 5/16 rod and attempted to make up some lower links. Had one that was mostly successful, but now I decided to order in JeepinDougs 1/4 and 5/16 link drill bushing guides to make the centre holes a bit more true.

Should be here sometime this week and then it will basically be done except for a splash of paint on the body panels.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
Hateraide

the link drill bushings are awesome i got them and they are nice, i still need to get my delrin this week lol
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
how about a Sunday night update... sure.

Had some issues trying to fit the DNA Dig w/ MIP centre shafts. Figured since the short shaft goes on the front, then the long one goes to the rear. Nope. Turns out I had to order in another short shaft in order for it to fit. Now I probably could have shortened the male long piece, but I didn't want to potentially destroy the part. Figured it was simpler to just order in another short kit and keep the other as spare if i decide to ditch the dig.

I'll add some photos of fitment at a later time (aka tomorrow or so).

I also managed to locate a delrin supplier (local one) and picked up 6 feet of white delrin 5/16 rod and attempted to make up some lower links. Had one that was mostly successful, but now I decided to order in JeepinDougs 1/4 and 5/16 link drill bushing guides to make the centre holes a bit more true.

Should be here sometime this week and then it will basically be done except for a splash of paint on the body panels.

Haha re-inventing the wheel I see....I have a set of link drill bushings you could have borrowed. I also have about 10' of black 5/16" too.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have not tried it, but a short shaft in the rear may be too short. I am running a cut down long shaft with a little grinding on the shaft, moving the "collar" towards the tranny a bit.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

How wide is the chassis inside?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
How wide is the chassis inside?
Just under2.5" the same as all F-4, FF-4, and Fastback. They all use the same skid, making Juan's life a bit easier on the manufacturing side
Old 08-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I have not tried it, but a short shaft in the rear may be too short. I am running a cut down long shaft with a little grinding on the shaft, moving the "collar" towards the tranny a bit.
That is what I thought at first, but it appears that there is "just enough" meat on the short shaft to contact the female side. With an uncut long male shaft (that sounds wrong) ...... errr ummm it contacts the backside of the dna casing. So after doing some rough eyeball measurements, the short "should" work.

I will know more once the link bushings show up and I re-attempt to make some proper links to proper lengths.

Last edited by Nerve; 08-30-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Haha re-inventing the wheel I see....I have a set of link drill bushings you could have borrowed. I also have about 10' of black 5/16" too.

Narly1
Heh, too bad I didn't know. Ahh well. Too late now, they will be here soon. I also wanted to order in his shock cups.

Yah I managed to pick up some delrin out of Scarborough for .75c /ft.
http://www.masplastics.com/about/about.php

Don't ever goto Plastic World on Sheppard, rip offs.