Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: I need help with my AX10 scorpion build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Pick up a pair of Hitec HS-645MG's. They'll have plenty of power for a 2.2 rig and Hitec stands behind them (unlike certain Chinese servos). For 4WS you'll want the Castle BEC (which is still in beta testing, should be out soon) or use a receiver pack for now. The Mamba's BEC is only 1.5A, which is too weak to run 4WS.

Your new list looks a lot better than that crap Tower recommended
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I think you would be happier with the mamba max, for the drag brakes,check this out Mamba Max & Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 3014 Combo "Special Sale Price" RCP Crawlers and I would look for a servo with at least 300oz-in of torgue, and with metal gears, but my biggest recomendation would be to hop onto the electronics section in the forum and find out what people are using and why they like them, just because they like it doesn't mean you will, your spending alot of money on this stuff and it would really suck if you had to replace it all in a month cause you dont like it. and for a charger, if your going with nimhs you can get the super brain 959 for about 50$, i love mine cause its ac/dc, fairly small, has adjustable amp rate and is easy to use but if you can afford it i have heard a lot of good about the super brain 977 but i agree a good charger makes a world of difference.
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #23
Gettin’ back on the horse

The Hitec 645 works really well with a 2.2 set up, however i have probably been through 6 gear sets, so lets do the math.
gears 20.00 each x6, servo 35.00= 155.00. so far.
So what I am saying is you might want to check out the hitec 985, its around 75.00 but you will never strip a gear, hell i have one on my Super.
Good luck
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #24
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Stick pack? - hard to fit into any chassis (unless you just throw it across the top, I guess) Even a stock TLT hump pack is a better option
FYI...the AX-10 is designed to fit a stick pack on top right out of the box. Not that it is the best or even second best place to put it...but if someone is looking to buy a battery pack that will allow them to run this rig right out of the box without modification, it takes a stick pack.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #25

Alot will disagree with me but I wouldn't suggest a brushless set up for a beginner. I have brushless in all my trucks but like I said I won't suggest if for a first timer. I'd get either the new Novak crawler ESC or the Mamba Maxx (with it you could go BL later). And a 35-55 turn lathe motor.

Get some 2/3a batteries 6-7 cells
3 channel radio with endpoint adjustments
and a Hitec 5955 servo and a good Airtronics.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #26

Hey guys, got an AX10 in the mail yesterday and started puting it together last night...here is where i am at with it...

BTW...this is my first RC crawler build...

Im looking into components for it now and i was checking out this post...

this is what i have in mind so far...

1. mamba max combo
2. hitec 5955
3. battery? A123 from RCP? i know something over 3000...
4. ??? 3 chanel but not sure...id like to order everything from RCP if i could...they are close to me and shiping is fast.

any help is greatly apreciated!

thanks!

Last edited by Rich Lee; 08-18-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXcrawler View Post
Alot will disagree with me but I wouldn't suggest a brushless set up for a beginner. I have brushless in all my trucks but like I said I won't suggest if for a first timer.

Just curious as to why you wouldn't recommend brushless for a first time crawler - seems it'b be cheaper in the long run, not to mention more reliable, longer run time, and less maintenance involved. If you can swing the upfront costs, I don't see why you wouldn't.
85V8XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #28
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

You don't necessarily need a battery over or even close to 3000 mah. You'll be limited to the larger cell sizes if you stick by that. You can get a nice small pack made with some Elite 2/3 A's that have a 1500 mah rating. They are a good quality cell, and at the 2/3 A size...you can get a pack that only takes up a small footprint. You could even add more cells to have say an 8 or 9 cell pack and still be smaller in size than a 7 cell sub C pack. If your going to run brushless anyway, the more cells you can get in that pack, the better off you'll be.

You will however get less run time with a 1500 than you would with the 3000, but if it were me, I would go with the smaller pack with more cells and sacrifice a bit of run time.

Well, that's my 2 pennies
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #29

Offroader5 - thanks for the info on the battery options. Will look them up for sure.
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
You will however get less run time with a 1500 than you would with the 3000, but if it were me, I would go with the smaller pack with more cells and sacrifice a bit of run time.

Well, that's my 2 pennies
*Just to add a little to what Offroader already stated.*
Run times still wont be too bad. Im running Elite 1500 2/3A 7-cell packs from cheap battery packs.com in my comp rig and they do the job nicely.

One performs better than the other, the weaker pack nets me anywhere between 35-45 minutes run time (depending on how much wheel speed I use), by the time I get to the stronger pack I usually get tired of driving/baking in the sun and go home before that one goes dead but it has made it past 45 minutes without feeling like it was getting low.

The sub-c packs are usable but its adding weight to deal with. On the other hand, Ive heard of people using sub-c packs and getting 1.5 hours run time.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85V8XJ View Post
Just curious as to why you wouldn't recommend brushless for a first time crawler - seems it'b be cheaper in the long run, not to mention more reliable, longer run time, and less maintenance involved. If you can swing the upfront costs, I don't see why you wouldn't.
Because you will want to play with it for more that 4 minutes before you break an axle or a drive shaft or a spur gear. Thats why. A 55t lathe has more than enough power to push this truck around. Matter of fact I just got back from the quarry and broke a front drive shaft with a 55t lathe and a 7 cell elite 1500 2/3 pack, oh and the pack lasted well over 40 minutes of hard driving and still has punch left in it.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote