Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: I need help with my AX10 scorpion build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I need help with my AX10 scorpion build

I am new to the RC Rock Crawling Industry, and I need a few pointers. First of all I just put in an order for a AX10, and I need to know what you all would suggest to complete the build. I bought what the website suggested. I just dont know what I really need.

This is what I bought that was suggested.

* Tower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh Stick Standard NiCd
* Dura TraxStreak Forward/Brake Hi-Frequency ESC J
* Futaba 2DR 2-Channel AM/2 S3003 Servos
* Team Orion 27T Double Method Motor

Thank you for the help. Oh yeah make sure you put things so I can undestand them, cause I am new to the whole thing. I have done some research though.
Tuffone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

links are better first wit the 2 ch radi dont use the servos that come with get the tpwer pro and go with a tq3 modded for 3rd ch wich if you want to have dig read steer..... you wont have to buy a new radio. ang go with a mamba 25 if money isnt a big issue post up pics when you get it

chris
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

the mamba 25 is a blushless only esc.Im pertty sure the 27t is a brushed motor if he wanted to have a drag brake with a brushed motor. he would need a mamba max.also I wouldnt use a 27t.I would at lest use a 35t lathe motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
links are better first wit the 2 ch radi dont use the servos that come with get the tpwer pro and go with a tq3 modded for 3rd ch wich if you want to have dig read steer..... you wont have to buy a new radio. ang go with a mamba 25 if money isnt a big issue post up pics when you get it

chris
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Gettin’ back on the horse

umm... yeah i would get an esc with reverse, you have to have it.
and a much higher wind motor unless you wanna jump it.

and if i were getting that kit i would probably get some tires and wheels too.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i would agree with those above me...also you might as well get a bigger battery too..like a 3000mah, just so you get longer run times plus its basically the same price...also ditch all of those suggested items...get a better battery, and higher turn motor, a better ecs.like a novak xrs..it works well, and yes get a traxxas TQ3...but what you bought will definutly work...just my $.02
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffone View Post

Can you renig on that stuff?

IMHO,you'be be better off with.....

a 6-7 cell 2/3a pack (perferably a pack built with Intellect Battery 1400 )

Esc,my choice would be a Mamba Max But a new Rooster or Tekin Rebel 2 would work allot better than the Dura Trax Streak or a Novak XRS.

Radio,Theres some of the more popular crawler radio's allot of guys use here You'll eventually go to a 3 channle and set up dig in the rear anyway,might as well get a 3 channle radio to start

Motor,like stated above,a lathe motor would be better. Better yet,a brushless set up would be nice as well. Theres some good options here.....Holmes Hobbies Motors
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am new to the RC Rock Crawling Industry, and I need a few pointers. First of all I just put in an order for a AX10, and I need to know what you all would suggest to complete the build. I bought what the website suggested. I just dont know what I really need.
Buying what the site suggests isn't always the best thing to do... Buying what you want is a better idea... What they suggest, is usually what they want you to take 'cos you get the itch to get better stuff...

Quote:
This is what I bought that was suggested.

That'll last about half an hour at most... A 3000 or better for a subC and NiMh.. NiCD is ok for a while, but, unless you have a charger with cycling on it, they'll get less and less run time over time...

Quote:
From what I've read so far, not that bad of an ESC... But for that kinda $$, you can get much better... The BEC on the Streak isn't the best, 5V isn't enuff for a servo as they like 6V, and to get full swing from a servo, you'd need to run an RX pack, 5 cell pack to the receiver, of sorts...

Quote:
The radio isn't that bad for a 2ch 2 stick... The servo's, however, will last about 10-15 mins at best in a crawler.. They have about 40 in/oz torque and rather thin plastic gears... I've smashed more than my share of 3003's just in a XX4 buggy in pavement...

Quote:
I agree with brushlessnut... A 35t lathe would be far better than a 27t... I ran 27's on my Clod and going to a 35t was night and day better... They stall far less and are more efficient, too...

Quote:
Thank you for the help. Oh yeah make sure you put things so I can undestand them, cause I am new to the whole thing. I have done some research though.
No probz, dude... I hope I was understandable to ya... Sometimes I forget that some of the terms and words we use aren't too common outside of crawling... Hope what I said there was some help, too...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

WOW Thanks. All of you that have posted have been a real big help, I will still like to hear a lot more. It helps me learn.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So if I go with the tq3 then I need diffrent batteries. What servos do I need and how many? will this one work.Hitec HS-645MG High-Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servo
If I go with the Novak XRS Reversible Sport ESC I should be good with ESC right.
And for motor I would be ok going with Integy Matrix Pro Lathe 45t single right.
For battery I can use a 4500 nimh...does it matter which one.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Axials website recommends THIS list of stuff to get an AX-10 going???!!?? WTF??? Is there anyone there with even a scrap of crawling experience?

Stick pack? - hard to fit into any chassis (unless you just throw it across the top, I guess) Even a stock TLT hump pack is a better option
Duratrax Streak?? - Even my Mtroniks RV15 is a better choice. How do you crawl with no reverse??
Futaba 2003's?? - they have like 30 oz. of torque, utterly insufficient. Go with some TowerPro 945's
A 27t motor?? - are we building a rock racer or a crawler?? 27t motor will give you way too much wheelspeed and no usable torque - 55 or 65 turn lathe motors are cheap and effective. If you have the cash go brushless - a Mamba Maxx/Hyperion combo
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hitec HS-645MG High-Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servo
If I go with the Novak XRS Reversible Sport ESC I should be good with ESC right.
And for motor I would be ok going with Integy Matrix Pro Lathe 45t single right.
Congratulations, Tuffone - you just made out a much more sensible parts spec than whoever wrote that first list.

If you want rear steer, you'll need 2 servos (and a 3 channel transmitter is highly recommended as well - full time AWS via a reversing y-harness is hard to deal with)

The 4500 you see is more than likely mah (nimh is nickle metal hydride - the type of cell) this affects runtime and nothing more I'm pretty sure. You want 7.2 volt, and the higher mah you can afford the longer run times you'll get.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
So if I go with the tq3 then I need diffrent batteries. What servos do I need and how many? will this one work.Hitec HS-645MG High-Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servo
Allot of guys run the 645 servo's. They do a decent job but will strip if you get really rough with them. Most guys that compete have upgraded to a stouter servo. The 645 will probably work fine for a starter and you can upgrade later when you get an idea of what might work better.

That list of stuff is allot more crawler freindly. Not my first choices but better than your first list. I'm not a big fan of the XRS. It's pretty weak. You'll HAVE to run a reciever pack or voltage regulator since the BEC isn't worth a nickle. No cooling fin,it'll get warmer easier if your set up isn't right on. It'll work,just not the best thing out there. Honestly,for a good crawler ESC,your gonna have to get closer to 1 bill

The 45t motor will be more crawler freindly. A bit slow for my personal taste but I'm a sucker for wheelspeed

Did you see the links I gave you in my other post? Besides the 1400 2/3a's,Holmes Hobbies has some good deals on good cells. John can build them to any configuration you need. For a smaller rig,the 2/3a's seem to be better cause they keep the weight down. The AX10 Scorpions factory battery placemewnt is a bit high to begin with. Some guys are getting an hour and longer even with the 2/3a 1400 packs. The big cells will work though,no doubt.

What charger do you have?

One thing I've learned with electric RC......Having a GOOD charger is worth it's weight in gold. Your cells will get a better charger,last longer and you'll get better run times.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

My recommended setup would be
For a decked out ring
  1. Novak Crawler System
  2. Hitec HS-5955
  3. M11/ or dx 7 if you plan on getting a super rig
  4. li-po or li-ion battery with more than 3000mah
For a Mid priced crawler
  1. Mamba 25
  2. Get a brushless motor from Holmes Hobbies (one that fits your budget)
  3. Hitec 645
  4. dx3 (get the old version so you can have rear stear if you chose)
  5. li-po or li-ion battery with more than 3000mah

and for a charger id recommend the duratrax Ice as it will last you a lifetime and charge just about any battery you ever buy.
Dont skimp out on a charger because youll just end up spending meaningless money.

Last edited by Krawler Freak; 06-17-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Axials website recommends THIS list of stuff to get an AX-10 going???!!?? WTF??? Is there anyone there with even a scrap of crawling experience?
That list was what Tower recommended.. Not Axial... I'm sure Axial would recommend better for their stuff..
Old 06-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
and if i were getting that kit i would probably get some tires and wheels too.

dosent the ax10 come with axial beedlocks and the rock lizards??
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromtcrawler View Post
dosent the ax10 come with axial beedlocks and the rock lizards??
AND a B-17 Betty body... Just add paint, electronics and batteries...
Old 06-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Its a full on roller Axial Knows what their doing

Make sure to check out rcpcrawlers.
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That list was what Tower recommended
ok, that's a relief. Makes perfect sense now.

Geez, like someone there could'nt just do like 10 minutes of research...
Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

for the motor it really depends on what you want if you want a dedicated crawler i would go with no less that 35t but for my scaler i have used the method 27t double good motor for the price and for me it didn't have enough wheelspeed. i either use a mag mayhem with 15\87 gearing or a titan 550 motor wich i believe is 23 turns with 18\87 gearing. and with moabs niether motor has ever stalled.
octigonwallrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Ok so how about this.

TQ3 control
HH Revolver 2
Mamba 25
2/3 A Elite 1500s

Now what servos should I get? I want to use 4 wheel steering.

Last edited by Tuffone; 06-19-2007 at 06:36 AM.