Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: First RC crawler, is the AX10 for me??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #1

Default First RC crawler, is the AX10 for me??

Ok guys, I'm new to the RC crawler sport. My main concern is cost at this point with being a student, funds are low right now. This will be my first rig too. Should I go with this one right off the bat and build away??
85roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85roktoy View Post
Ok guys, I'm new to the RC crawler sport. My main concern is cost at this point with being a student, funds are low right now. This will be my first rig too. Should I go with this one right off the bat and build away??
this will be my first crawler also and thats what im going to do i know nothing about this sport but for about the past 2 months i ve been reading alot of threads
Dirt Trak Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Trak Racer View Post
this will be my first crawler also and thats what im going to do i know nothing about this sport but for about the past 2 months i ve been reading alot of threads
Cool, looks like this is where I'll probably start then!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

IT will be my first as well. Been in the hobby for 19years and racing on and offroad,electric and gas for the last 10+years. I truely hate bashing bought a revo and sold it, that was the closest to bashing i have come.

Im planning on getting this first off because i love building kits. I despice RTR. Secondly i have fallen in love with the look of crawlers and trail rigs, im still on the fence over scale vs comp rigs but the i just too kool. 3rdly im up for this rig because its the first real KIT that includes all that is needed to crawl right out of the box, PTI has a kit but i would swap out the nasty tires and rims for beadlocks and maobs. This thing comes with bead locks and moab look alikes. Also the price is just insane. The cheapest i could ever build a TLT or Wheely king or clod conversion was in the 400-600 range. This thing has it all for the entry level.

I think that this kit will do for crawling what the TMAXX did for nitro monster trucks, perhaps not on teh same scale because i think crawling is a niche area of the hobby kind of like OVAL is.
TKG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #5

same here, first crawler, long time rc guy but looong hiatus from it. I am offing a plane and old RC10, could never get into bashing a nitro rig, to damm spendy.

this axial kit has me drooling; out of the box with low ratio trans/solid axles, low weight, tough and cool looking, competent with out mods like the wheely king, tlt, way cheaper than anything else, look up some of the chassis kits, $800 bucks for a bender? (side plates and suspension links) then price all the components to make at go,
again SPENDY!!!
don't get me wrong, if you have the dough, and NEED a comp killer, go on with your bad self.

way to go axial, huge respect from me and my kids, back yard slow crawler will work way better than any of the other RC things I have/had to this point. can't wait for my two year old to make the vroom vroom noises for me on this one
TimBlume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

seems like the axial forum going is to be the new WK forum..
FORD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD84 View Post
seems like the axial forum going is to be the new WK chatroom..
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

It seems like a lot of people are in the same boat here. N00bs to the crawler thing for the most part but with some experience in other areas of RC. Im definitely in this crowd. Ive been playing with on-road electrics and nitros for a long time and recently in the past year Ive built some micro scale crawlers. Once I was hooked to the micro crawlers I got really excited about 1/10 and 1/12 crawling. I read about the AX-10 kit coming out way back in the late spring sometime and I just knew it would be the ultimate n00b kit for crawling. After months of anticipation my thoughts were confirmed. Ive done all the same pricing research as everybody else trying to get into the sport and its expensive, but this kit makes it attainable for most people. Big thanks to Axial for getting it right the first time. I cant wait to have one. A friend of mine just finished his WK to crawler conversion and I got to crawl with it which just made me want my AX-10 even more....

....AWESOME kit for the enthusiast just starting out in the hobby.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
It seems like a lot of people are in the same boat here. N00bs to the crawler thing for the most part but with some experience in other areas of RC. Im definitely in this crowd. Ive been playing with on-road electrics and nitros for a long time and recently in the past year Ive built some micro scale crawlers. Once I was hooked to the micro crawlers I got really excited about 1/10 and 1/12 crawling. I read about the AX-10 kit coming out way back in the late spring sometime and I just knew it would be the ultimate n00b kit for crawling. After months of anticipation my thoughts were confirmed. Ive done all the same pricing research as everybody else trying to get into the sport and its expensive, but this kit makes it attainable for most people. Big thanks to Axial for getting it right the first time. I cant wait to have one. A friend of mine just finished his WK to crawler conversion and I got to crawl with it which just made me want my AX-10 even more....

Great! Looks like I'm just in time! I want to use the AX10 kit with a proline body if possible to make a rig similar to my own!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post

That's me too man. I built a couple of Micro Crawlers and ended up here after someone recommended this site. I spent two months of research and pricing trying to decide what kind of crawler to build. Nothing will get you rolling faster and cheaper than this kit. This will be my 2.2 rig and am planning on building a Super in the near future.

ElChupacabra, here is a link to a video of one of my micro crawlers. It's a 1/35 scale Willys MB body on a modified Zip Zaps MT chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRr4GTsgrcY

shoot me a PM with some pics or video of your micros, I'd love to check it out.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

not just for noobs though, if you read some of the other threads there are some experienced drivers that are also excited for this kit, this thing is going to be awsome just fo the fact its the first vehicle designed for this purpose and the fact you dont have to buy a vehicle just to toss half of it and buy another $200-$300 in parts to modify to fit, it makes getting one for your kids or just getting a spare a bit more realistic
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

its perfect for everyone.... noobs or pros. im new to crawling and this will be my first crawler, and i cant wait to build another kit.
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion, yes the AX10 is a GREAT starter kit. Actually it is capable of winning comps right out of the box. Clear, concise instructions, and easy to assemble.

We have them in stock shipping today if any of you are interested.

http://rcpcrawlers.com/truck_kits.html
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRiver View Post
That's me too man. I built a couple of Micro Crawlers and ended up here after someone recommended this site. I spent two months of research and pricing trying to decide what kind of crawler to build. Nothing will get you rolling faster and cheaper than this kit. This will be my 2.2 rig and am planning on building a Super in the near future.

ElChupacabra, here is a link to a video of one of my micro crawlers. It's a 1/35 scale Willys MB body on a modified Zip Zaps MT chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRr4GTsgrcY

shoot me a PM with some pics or video of your micros, I'd love to check it out.
thats pretty damn sweet ive never seen the micro crawlers man it crazy what people come up with
Dirt Trak Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85roktoy View Post
Great! Looks like I'm just in time! I want to use the AX10 kit with a proline body if possible to make a rig similar to my own!

That's a sweet 1:1 there roktoy! You can't go wrong with an AX-10 kit, it is the cheapest rockcrawling specific kit out there, and has all the potential you will need to compete if you so desire.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
In my opinion, yes the AX10 is a GREAT starter kit. Actually it is capable of winning comps right out of the box. Clear, concise instructions, and easy to assemble.

We have them in stock shipping today if any of you are interested.

http://rcpcrawlers.com/truck_kits.html
Aha if I can convince my parents to get me one you got my order
CarbonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

GreenRiver....

Sweet ZipZap build. Very scale looking and very capable. Nice work. All the micro stuff I have experience with is Xmods or scratch-built.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote